Who has a family member with a food Allergy?

Who has a Family member with a Food Allergy?

• Yes

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hello All,

I was just wondering, who has a direct family (Mum, Dad, Brother, Sister, Husband, Wife) member with a food allergy?

My 4 yo son has a life threatening allergy to Eggs, Dairy, Nuts and Kiwi fruit.

I will do a small poll :D

Cheers

GG

food allergies.

I dont have anything life threatening but i can suffer migraines or tiredness with some foods. staying away from those foods has cured all that almost 100%

but in schools and childcare its very very common. I've seen kids with such fleshy skin from allergies, or athma, or swelling faces, terrible reactions to a whole range of foods sometimes. Its very common these days.

francine.

Tomatoes - I can't even have tomato extract in anything, it makes me violently ill

My husband died in 15 minutes after taking a Voltaren tablet, the over the counter type, he was allergic and didn't know

Chris

Tomatoes - I can't even have tomato extract in anything, it makes me violently ill

My husband died in 15 minutes after taking a Voltaren tablet, the over the counter type, he was allergic and didn't know

Chris

Crispy,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

Our little fella has had a couple of close calls but the worst one was to a type of food we didn't know he had a allergy to, Kiwi fruit. His whole face swelled up, his throat started to close and he couldn't breath. We were an inch away from giving him his epi pen................looking back now, we should of given him his pen and rushed him to hospital. We know better now.

Bryce is 4yo, he knows what he can and can't eat and if he doesn't, he will ask.

GG

Crispy,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

Our little fella has had a couple of close calls but the worst one was to a type of food we didn't know he had a allergy to, Kiwi fruit. His whole face swelled up, his throat started to close and he couldn't breath. We were an inch away from giving him his epi pen................looking back now, we should of given him his pen and rushed him to hospital. We know better now.

Bryce is 4yo, he knows what he can and can't eat and if he doesn't, he will ask.

GG

Got an 11 y.o with dairy, sesame and various other allergies: epi pen wherever we travel , one at school. I brief all teachers on the 2nd day of schoo; as to treatment , symptoms etc.

Am trying an allergist at Southport - Peter Smith who is administering an allergy reduction medicine but I'm not overly optimistic.

My girlfriend's son was allergic to peanuts as a child apparently but they just kept giving him small doses of peanut butter then built up to bigger doses as he became tolerant and now he can eat anything with peanuts no worries.

Apparently I'm allergic to soy lecithin ... it makes me sneeze. I sat down last year and actually went through the ingredient lists of all the stuff that I've known makes me sneeze and hence avoided for years and cross-compared, then went on an exclusion diet for a bit. Wow. I've never been so non-sniffly in my entire life than during that exclusion period.

Soy lecithin is a waste ingredient from making soy flour that they used to let rot until they hired a bunch of scientists to come up with a use for it. It is in virtually all chocolate, particularly low-quality chocolate (Smarties being THE worst), some chips (cheese and bacon balls), lots of lollies, some cakes (particularly White Wings packet mixes), some biscuits (the worst offender is Tiny Teddies) some icecream ... getting the picture? I'm freakin allergic to all modern treat foods :(

On the upside I'm not allergic to any chocolate over 70% so now I actually know what the problem ingredient is I can safely binge on Cadbury's Old Gold to my heart's content :D And anything homemade is always fine.

This does not stop my MIL constantly buying us junk food despite me explaining the problem. Four times now. She stopped baking now she has cut back her work hours and buys packet mix stuff and laces them with Smarties. Or says "but my friend is fine with X brand of chocolate, you mus tbe too". My reaction is delayed so I always get it after we've gone home so she never sees it to appreciate how not fun it is to sneeze your head off. Or maybe she's out to get me?

ETA: neither child has the same allergy and they are both busy stuffing themselves with soy lecithin infused easter eggs by the kilo. Grrr.

Fortunately, we get to tick all the no boxes on kid's school/consent forms etc.

But so many of our friends are allergic to gluten, dairy etc. Must be very difficult for some of them.

My daughter had an anaphylactic reaction to a very small amount of peanut about age 2. Her allergy is very severe and we also carry an epipen (adrenaline) everywhere. It has proved to be a big issue when it comes to school/kindy. I have gotten used to shopping/cooking taking into account her allegy and am less fearful than I was at first. She is very unlikely to ever outgrow it. Tonight we are going out for a family dinner to a chinese restaraunt. We will stop off and pick her up a happy meal from Macdonalds first because she can't eat anything where we are going.

My brother developed an allergy to seafood in adulthood, which really peevs him as he loves seafood.

I feel for your daughter and yourself Gordon as egg and dairy are so hard to avoid and rule out so many foods. Apparently it is quite common for children to grow out of those allergies eventually and I hope this is the case for your daughter in time. I don't know anything about kiwi fruit though.

On 612 ABC radio the other morning a doctor said the "new" food allergies emerging as big problems are bananas and kiwi fruit. I am so glad we don't suffer from any allergies because the shopping and diligence regarding school lunches etc must be a nightmare.

allergies in the family

yes when we were tested we did test as sensntive to kiwi. but our allergies in our family or sensntivities dont give us much or an obvious reaction except perhaps at times for me migraines.

there is something called NAET which is a process which is meant to desensntive you to allergens. it takes many sessions as they go through various things in a special order. you cant just do the 2 things you are most allergic to. it has apparently helped many people. I did quite a bit of it several years ago. i think it may have helped some. i still find keeping away from my allergens helps the most. but mine as i said dont give huge reactions except sometimes a migraine which is why i try to stay away from them

Francine.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the responses, sorry for the delay in getting back, have been without a computer :eek:

My son, Bryce, with the allergies is 4.5 yo, youngest of 4 kids, which i think has helped a lot.

When we go out to say a party, 90% of the food there he can't eat and he knows that. Someone will be walking around with a plate of food, ofkering it to people, he will come and ask us first. But most times we will take food for him.

But when we go to family parties, something is always cooked specially for him.

So as he gets older, it is getting easier to handle but next year is school :eek:

Thanks to everybody for sharing their allergies with us :D

GG

Back