Who is responsible for installing a TV aerial?

Just wondering, in SA who is responsible for installing a TV aerial - the landlord or the tenant? I just bought a property and had a tenant move in this month who has a large plasma which won't work with the cheap rabbit ear style aerial. They've asked if I would consider installing a TV aerial at the property. I'm a bit reluctant because I don't think it adds any value to the property and I've already spent a lot of money on renovating the property before they moved in.

I'm in WA but would say that it's your responsibility. It's not something that the tenant could take with them, it stays with the house.

its tenants

however without having 1 tenants will get the ***** and move out after lease, ur call is it worth the hassall for something that costs $300 to get installed?

Fair enough point. I've had my share of tenants who wanted aerials, others who were willing to pay for them (and then take them with them upon vacation) and a unit tenant who I ended up getting the BC to fund.

It's really a matter of individual cases here- decide what's worth keeping the tenant (if they're worth keeping) or if they're a low-needs tenant, perhaps consider installing one for them. After all, think of how you'd feel if you couldn't watch your beloved TV or Foxtel (not that I have Foxtel but I can imagine how annoying it would be not to be able to see it!).

Just wondering, in SA who is responsible for installing a TV aerial - the landlord or the tenant? I just bought a property and had a tenant move in this month who has a large plasma which won't work with the cheap rabbit ear style aerial. They've asked if I would consider installing a TV aerial at the property. I'm a bit reluctant because I don't think it adds any value to the property and I've already spent a lot of money on renovating the property before they moved in.

Just pay the $300-$500 odd dollars and get one installed. It's expected these days. It'll be depreciable and you'll have happy tenants.

The more incentives your tenants have to renew their lease, the better. ;)

We're in Adelaide too and we just rented out a new property to some tenants who requested a tv antenna aerial. We have never installed one in any of the new homes and didn't again this time round. Tenants didn't press the issue but turned around and sought permission from us to install foxtel. We said sure and PM actually wrote in the agreement that the aerial was to stay when they vacated? I thought that was strange as i would've thought they would be taking it but i dont know how foxtel works.

Same thing as phone connections....we obviously have the socket which is done when house is built but don't connect anything. If tenant wants connection he/she is responsible for it (unless you want to offer paying for it). We decided against it because the initial connection is at least a couple of hundred bucks and if the next tenant that moves in stays for 2 or 3 years and doesn't use the phone line (coz he/she uses their mobile as a means of communication) then apparently we'd have to pay the couple of hundred bucks to get the line re-connected because it has been un-connected for so long. If that kept happening every 2nd tenant, we could potentially be coughing up a lot of dollars just to connect the phone line for them.

Just recently did this for one IP (Melb). I had lived there briefly whilst I updated and fixed a few things and had Foxtel installed (cable) whilst I was there.

I received all free to air channels through the Foxtel connection. Unfortunately my new tenant was not going to get Foxtel (she was an SBS girl apparently) and so had to fix the old antenna connection and wiring. Around $325 for memory.

Same thing as phone connections....we obviously have the socket which is done when house is built but don't connect anything. If tenant wants connection he/she is responsible for it (unless you want to offer paying for it). We decided against it because the initial connection is at least a couple of hundred bucks and if the next tenant that moves in stays for 2 or 3 years and doesn't use the phone line (coz he/she uses their mobile as a means of communication) then apparently we'd have to pay the couple of hundred bucks to get the line re-connected because it has been un-connected for so long.

I don't believe this is true. You pay up to $299 (was $259 when I did it last) to get Telstra out to create the circuit between the house and the closest comms box. It costs so much because they have to get a technican physically out to the property. If the line gets disconnected at any point, then the reconnection fee is only $59ish dollars, because it's all done remotely... there's no physical cabling to be done.

i'm not sure whether correct or not..thats just what the telstra girl told me....

this is from their website.....

Telephone line connection
A working telephone socket exists from a previous connection and a Telstra technician is not required to visit your property or premises. $59.00

Telephone line connection with a technician visit
A previous telephone service existed at your premises and a Telstra technician is required to visit your property / premises to reconnect existing suitable cabling at the distributor and / or the first socket. $125.00

Telephone line connection
(a) New telephone line connection - a telephone service has not previously been connected at your property or premises (although we may have previously installed cabling to your property or premises and you may be able to hear a dial tone); or
(b) Telephone line connection with a technician visit with cabling work - a previous telephone service existed at your property or premises and a technician is required to visit your property or premises to install and / or work on the cabling up to the first socket in the property or premises. $299.00

It is correct. I had telephone installed, paid the connection fee for a new connection. Telephone was used for 12 months. Then telephone not connected for 6 months. Then next tenant wanted phone reconnected and Telstra had removed the line to be used elsewhere in the complex. I was asked to repay the new connection fee. Telstra would not budge.

Chris

Body corp paid for mine.

Apparently it was there but not connected at the ceiling?? They got a contractor out and said they'd fix it so I didn't ask any more questions.

• The property is in the condition it was when the tenant inspected it before they moved in
  • The property is in the condition it was when the lease was signed
  • Tenant installs aerial, modification to the premises, remains when they leave or they pay for restoration of the premises to the condition when the lease was signed, repair all cable holes bolt holes etc
landlord responisblity zero
as for,
"wont work with cheap rabbit ear style...."
Bovine Scat
PHP:
<?php if(ismoving['mouth']) {return false('tenant');} ?>

Antenna - Had this issue in the past and according to consumer affairs (vic) if when the property was inspected and a tv outlet is visible then it is reasonable for the tenant to expect that that outlet is connected to a tv antenna and they are able to plug in their tv and expect it to work.

according to consumer affairs (vic) if when the property was inspected and a tv outlet is visible then it is reasonable for the tenant to expect that that outlet is connected to a tv antenna and they are able to plug in their tv and expect it to work.

That sounds spot on. You know why ?? Cos it means the Tenant is not liable for anything.

I wonder what CA defines as "a TV outlet". I reckon a hole in the wall would do to fully place the onus back onto the Landlord.

Don't sweat the small cash drain stuff. You are all making thousands on capital growth right now....aren't you ?? ;)

Oh common Dazz..... you only have to install it once. It is not like every tenant is going to hit you up for a couple of hundred......

It IS small stuff. It is providing a house that functions. Would you rent a house with a kitchen, but without a sink and then whinge when the tenant asks for a sink (well.... YOU probably would :D)? What about a bathroom without a loo?

For me, it is part of providing a functioning house. It is no more a big deal than providing something else that should enable a tenant to live there comfortably.

It IS small stuff. It is providing a house that functions. Would you rent a house with a kitchen, but without a sink and then whinge when the tenant asks for a sink (well.... YOU probably would :D)? What about a bathroom without a loo?

What about a kitchen without a dishwasher?

*stirs*

:D

That's okay. I can take a stir. I think dishwashers are in a different league. I think it entirely reasonable that if someone rents my IP they can plug in their telly and receive reception. I would not ask my tenant to spend $300 on having an aerial installed, particularly as it is something that stays with the house.

It is a one off expense and will be there for the next tenant, and the next.

Dishwashers are obvious by their presence in the kitchen (or obviously NOT present) so it is not like a tenant will move in and then kick up a stink that there is not a dishwasher. (Well, some might, but that is tough bikkies.)

I just think TV reception is something that is "expected" and if I was renting, I would expect it. If I struck a tight**** landlord who told me to install it, I possibly would do so, but I sure would start that tenancy with a grudge against the landlord and probably would not worry too much about how I looked after his house.

Perhaps this is why Dazz has had so much trouble with ressy landlording and we have had pretty much smooth sailing (with a few hiccups, but relatively trouble free).

Had this one crop up twice last week, according to RTT (Adelaide) if a tv point is provided it must be operational, same goes for anything that is provided for the tenant's use ie dishwasher, washing machine, microwave etc. Another tenant asked if a telephone point could be installed so he could have internet, rang RTT to check and was told if a telephone point was provided if must be capable of being activated by the service provider. Put in other words there must be wires leading from the telephone point back to a telstra termination box whereever it is, if a telephone point is not provided then its up to the tenants to organise their own, same goes for the tv point. Its up to the tenant to inspect the property and make sure it meets his needs before applying.
Having said that, from experience a working tv point is something that will crop up time and time again with each new tenant, most prospective tenants don't bother to check if there's a tv point as in this day and age they just expect it to be there, companies such as jims and mr antenna can put up an antenna in the $200-$250 price range, a small cost to keep a good tenant happy.
I'd been having trouble renting a property and finally had someone inspect liked everything, then last thing before she left she said where are the tv points (this was a $600pw property) fortunately it was a nearly new house and tv points had been provided in lounge, family, 2 beds and office, I had my application.

Back