Who is responsible??

Hi All
Am currently building 3 villas, close to completion.

Neighbour 1 at rear has has some of her brick paving damaged when the builder worked near the sewer line.

Neighbour 2 on left claims one of his asbestos sheet fencing was damaged, same issue - when building working near ?sewer line.

This all happened at the beginning of the build.
Nothing in writing from any of the neighbours, though 1 neighbour has mentioned this to me.

I assume the builder is responsible to ensure that these issues are rectified?? I have not yet put pen to paper and not clear how to handle this.

I expect that once the project has been completed I will be wearing this as the owner of the property?

I am also aware that neighbour 2 is trying to get what he can, he threatened legal action.
He is also telling me he is not happy with the new fencing, including retaining walls because now he has work on his side. However, I paid for this, he contributed zip. Anyway that is another story, I should not muddy the waters.

Anyone able to give me some suggestions on how to proceed with this.

MTR:)

All covered by whoever did the work.

One of the subbies at my site decided to park on someone's brand new artificial lawn with a huge heavy truck causing tyre dents in the new lawn.

The builder had to wear the responsibility for the site and any damage caused to neighbours. They can then oncharge their subbies if they wish.

Unless you as a developer did works separate to your building contract the builder is responsible for all works. This is a major benefit to operating as a developer rather than a builder.

I feel so much better now:)

Just to clarify then, I don't need to write to the builder with any of these issues and if I receive a nasty letter in the mail regarding any damage I can direct them to the builder?

MTR:)

That's right, but when he sees me he actually runs after me, I think his in love:p Then I am stuck with him for 2 hours :rolleyes:

Sadly - some people have nothing better to do with their lives than have a whinge about everything ... "oh woe - the world is against me" :rolleyes:

We have a neighbour like that at our cottages ... can't wait for the response when I start legally cutting down most of the trees

Yep, builders responsibility if it was works in their contract that did the damage.

We backcharge any of our trades that cause damage, as a result they are all very careful.

Sadly - some people have nothing better to do with their lives than have a whinge about everything ... "oh woe - the world is against me" :rolleyes:

We have a neighbour like that at our cottages ... can't wait for the response when I start legally cutting down most of the trees

Yes, it is a shame, I cant believe the attitude of the neighbour considering we paid for the retaining wall and fence which was asbestos and damaged at around $7,000. I really don't understand some people. Your right they need to get a life.

Back