who is using skype

hi all
who is using skype and who is conference calling with it.
I am at the very early stage with it and it seems to work well, similar to msn but you can conference call and hook up 4 callers together.
anyone else using it and would make a very good meeting place to discuss projects.

I use it to talk to friends/family over webcam in UK, much clearer picture than MSN without the distortion in the voice. We have been using MSN for about 5 years with the webcam, it was fine to strt with but as more and more people started to use it the voice sometimes gets distorted.

I expect the same thing will happen eventually with Skype but currently its great. :D

Chris

I am using it to talk to people in China and it is very clear. I have not used the conference call. The message system is similar to MSN.
Cheers,
Peter

I have been using Skype for some time now..Its a very good system, and I have a few Somersoft users in my contacts list..feel free to add me for a chat :)

Not using Skype yet but am looking for a suitable product that will

- make call to mobile that I will have in US (not my normal SIM)
- allow me to redirect my mobile to a VIOP number

In such a way I don't need to use roaming on my mobile but rather set redirect on my mobile to the VIOP number. Then the VOIP network redirects the call the the SIM number I have purchased overseas.

In this way I will only pay for a local call (mobile rates) rather than the overseas component and the out call from the VOIP provider overseas.

I found this set up described some time ago on a forum somewhere but now can't find it or who the likely provider could be at a good price.

So any leads would be gratefully followed up;)

Cheers

I have been using skype for over a year now and very happy with it. When I was in US I communicated with my wife through skype and it is free. The sound quality is also excellent.

I use it every day- for O.S contacts. other family members I know use it for the conferencing side-- they are getting a Mining Co into I.P.O .in a country where communication is erratic- sometimes I can Skype quicker than i can make telstra call

Hi

We have recently added skype and a web cam so that we can hold "face to face" meetings with clients all over Australia. Last week, I held such a meeting with someone on the other side of the world!!

It works very well.

Dale

We use Skype to talk to family members around Australia. Next step is to buy a web cam. I wonder how long it will take before people stop having a standard landline phone in their homes?
Shirley

Shirley said:
We use Skype to talk to family members around Australia. Next step is to buy a web cam. I wonder how long it will take before people stop having a standard landline phone in their homes?
Shirley

As soon as it isn't needed for ADSL!

I believe that is the case in some areas now with cable or wireless but not everywhere.

I have mates who have no landline and just use a capped mobile plan for not much more than line rental was... I think $49 gets you $200+ worth of calls.

cheers,

Dumb question maybe, but does the other party have to also have Skype for it to work???

Can anyone explain it for me in laymans terms so I can determine whether we should have it for our small two person home office.

Ta
Petal

Simon said:
I have mates who have no landline and just use a capped mobile plan for not much more than line rental was... I think $49 gets you $200+ worth of calls.
Which is nowhere near enough for a teenage girl with a boyfriend. MrsW has a $79 capped plan with $500 worth oc calls- eldest daughter borrowed it every now and then- the bill went $300 over that.

We've completely disabled STD and mobile calls from the landline.

geoffw said:
Which is nowhere near enough for a teenage girl with a boyfriend. MrsW has a $79 capped plan with $500 worth oc calls- eldest daughter borrowed it every now and then- the bill went $300 over that.

We've completely disabled STD and mobile calls from the landline.

They do say that girls are better communicators than boys....

My brother has just bought me a USB Skype ready phone. He lives in Beijing and send me regular parcels of essentials like this.

What will it do for me? Can I ring anyone or just Skype users?

hi all
not tried it yet but if you buy skype credit yes you can call land line numbers to numbers that are not on skype.
you can align mobils to it but not done that yet.
we all run mobils I have one on optus per paid and free optus to optus and one on 3 capped. the land line are moil international barred and you can use those prepaid recharge international card which are alot cheaper the straight international calling.
web cams are ok but the sounds not that good via msn skype seems better very early stage for me but seens like alot are using it.
would be a interesting movement to have a site/page with question and a time that people would be on line to answer questions on that subject.not seen it anywere but seems the next logical move of this technology.
the other thing I like is that the skype can sit in the back ground and is not cut out while doing another programme word or even msn I move thru three different programme will chatting to jaffasoft and there was no change in clarity.
I am grossrealisation on skype(little wonder on the name)

hi
do you have to use two computers to webcam how do you webcam with skype.
I don't see anywhere to send a webcam invite.
msn you can send a web cam and thats ok for me adsl but 56k is very slow and patchy.
oh and msn is great for sending files I have sent a 10meg file via msn and its about 5 times faster then normal email and the purson on the other end can open straight away nodify and send back for business msn is the way to go for me.
very fast ad doesn't have the usual limitations of email.
I ring get them to hope on msn there file, back and off to them within 15 mins.
also handy andy
msn file and talk is free around the world not as good as sending and receiving on the phone skype but it has its use as I use webcam to see click and send to me.
very very handy have a look at both.

I've used Skye for a long time.

Played with a couple of the other providers as well such as Freshtel.

I've found that generally people don't get it as yet - will take a few more years for mass adoption - so have found that most of my regular calls are to non-skype users.

I'm waiting for the wi-max/cellular mobile phones. They'll eat the market.

Next version of MS Exchange looks like a goer as well - integrates VOIP and video conferencing into the email server. That should encourage a lot of companies to make the switch.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

OK 'computers for dummies' question here..

The sound card on the desktop has three inputs, but they are coloured and not marked.

Can someone tell me which is the speaker, the mike and what is the third one ?
They are green, blue, and red, from top to bottom...

Thanks
kp

Back