who is using skype

My brother just set up his skype with a webcam and I'd love to make that work - any suggestion for a webcam for mac that works with skype?

Thanks!

kaf

kph said:
OK 'computers for dummies' question here..

The sound card on the desktop has three inputs, but they are coloured and not marked.

Can someone tell me which is the speaker, the mike and what is the third one ?
They are green, blue, and red, from top to bottom...

Thanks
kp

Lime/Green - Headphone/Speaker
Blue/Light Blue - Connects Tape/CD/DVD Player or other Audio Sources.
Pink/Red - Microphone

hi kaf
don't think you can web cam with skype but you can join msn messanger and web cam with msn and then on top skype a call.
so the other side will have your web cam in say the right corner and the skype running and have a play with that.
remember that the web cam eats and moves slow on dial up so the skype may be infront of the webcam so the picture and voice maybe delayed have seen it happen yet.
I have my accountant and offices running msn and web cams goes well and now they are getting up to speed with skype.
hell of lot cheaper and has cut down cost already in three weeks.

grossreal said:
hi kaf
don't think you can web cam with skype

Yes you can. My friend in Bribie Island has had a webcam for ages which I can see her on while we talk on Skype. I got a webcam on Sunday and now she can see me too! Go to Tools-Options-Video once you've connected a webcam.

Olly

Shirley said:
We use Skype to talk to family members around Australia. Next step is to buy a web cam. I wonder how long it will take before people stop having a standard landline phone in their homes?
Shirley

My friend has already gone down that road and only has Skype and her mobile. There is an initial setup cost to get on with Skype as a fully functioning phone but you do get a base and walkabout phone as part of the setup. Call costs are cheap and of course there is no line rental. I'm seriously thinking of going that way myself as currently my line rental costs more than my calls!! I presume this option would only be avaialble for those with cable internet which I and my friend have.

Webcam adds a whole new dimension and the grandkids love seeing themselves and their Nanna!

Cheers
Olly

I'm not familiar with Skype. From what I've seen on the site, you can have free Skype to Skype conversations with and other member, and cheap calls anywhere in the world. Calls to mobiles in Australia are 26c per minute- and that is enough to not want to use it at home- unless there is a security feature which restricts usage. I don't want teenage daughters anywhere near that setup. (presumably you could restrict access using standard Windows).

Olly, you've mentioned a phone, where the website (at least the bits I've found) talks about connecting your computer, presumably with a headset or the like. What sort of cost for the handset?

Petal said:
Dumb question maybe, but does the other party have to also have Skype for it to work???

Can anyone explain it for me in laymans terms so I can determine whether we should have it for our small two person home office.

Ta
Petal

It's Basic Form
It's free software that you can download. Only those with the Skype software on their PC can talk to each other (via microphone or headset) so you are talking to each other PC to PC anywhere in the world via Skype software. Webcams (about $40.00 and upwards) add the viewing element to the call and some webcams can take still pictures as well for emailing etc.

More Advanced
Skype also has the capability to act as a phone service. You have to setup with Skype and use their base/phoneset (although I've been told you can use your own handsets). You then use it like a normal phone ringing normal phone numbers anywhere in the world and the rates are much cheaper than conventional phones/services. The receiver of your calls made through Skype don't have to have the software for this scenario.

Cheers
Olly

geoffw said:
I'm not familiar with Skype. From what I've seen on the site, you can have free Skype to Skype conversations with and other member, and cheap calls anywhere in the world. Calls to mobiles in Australia are 26c per minute- and that is enough to not want to use it at home- unless there is a security feature which restricts usage. I don't want teenage daughters anywhere near that setup. (presumably you could restrict access using standard Windows).

Olly, you've mentioned a phone, where the website (at least the bits I've found) talks about connecting your computer, presumably with a headset or the like. What sort of cost for the handset?

Even I'm a bit confused now. The website isn't the clearest on that subject is it? It just says buy some credit and ring the number! I can only presume that the Skype setup includes a modem of some sort that the base plugs into. I'll ask my friend exactly what she's got/had to do.

http://www.skype.com/help/guides/
http://www.skype.com/help/guides/skypeout.html

Olly

Olly said:
It just says buy some credit and ring the number! I can only presume that the Skype setup includes a modem of some sort that the base plugs into.
It seems that you do need a headset- a cheap one is enough. You can connect, plugged into your computer, through a dial up modem, but broadband is recommended.

But I'm interested to know if there is a "transparent" handset available. And I'd also like to know if I can somehow limit other members of the family accessing it to dial up anybody (assuming I have credit).

geoffw said:
It seems that you do need a headset- a cheap one is enough. You can connect, plugged into your computer, through a dial up modem, but broadband is recommended.

Or you could just use a microphone and listen through the computer speakers. This would be useful if are in a room with several people and want a conference style call.

Ozi

We've been using Skype at work to contact our agents all over the world. Generally, the sound quality is good. We have had a few problems with our US agent when he was in Mexico - but then he couldn't call us on a 'normal' phone anyway. It still works OK at lower bandrates, like when I've blown my download limit at home and I'm still days away from the end of the month.

The upside is that you can see if the other person is online by looking at the Contacts list.

The downside (maybe) is that they can see you! I have to remember to put the 'Do Not Disturb' flag on when I'm watching a DVD at home on my work laptop at night (I run a wireless network at home, so I forget that I'm connected to the Internet). Why? Because my boss never sleeps and is always ready for a chat!

Lindy

hi Olly
thank for telling me where to look for the web cam feature and found it in tools, option will have a try it soon have changed my settings.
I use msn web cam and that works well.

ozi said:
Or you could just use a microphone and listen through the computer speakers. This would be useful if are in a room with several people and want a conference style call.

Ozi

This is the method I use. I discovered this by chance as when I first got onto Skype my headset didn't work. My friend was coming through the speakers but she couldn't hear me. I plugged in the microphone that my daughter bought and used to do a Uni assignment and Presto! - audio out. My friend hadn't been aware of this method either until then so it was a nice surprise for her too. It also means you're not 'attached' to the PC. You can move around the room or make a cup of tea and yell out to each other while doing it! :p Depends of course just where your PC setup is as to what you can get up to.

Olly

hi handy andi
the other system in engin.com that uses a phone hook up this is not free but the costs cheaper and you don't need a computer have a look at it I have a couple of people that use this system but I think they are finding skype better.
have a look and do your costings.

Olly said:
I

More Advanced
Skype also has the capability to act as a phone service. You have to setup with Skype and use their base/phoneset (although I've been told you can use your own handsets). You then use it like a normal phone ringing normal phone numbers anywhere in the world and the rates are much cheaper than conventional phones/services. The receiver of your calls made through Skype don't have to have the software for this scenario. Olly

A bum steer - sorry.

These bits are right -
Skype also has the capability to act as a phone service.
You then use it like a normal phone ringing normal phone numbers anywhere in the world and the rates are much cheaper than conventional phones/services.
The receiver of your calls made through Skype don't have to have the software for this scenario.

The bit that's wrong is NEEDING to setup with Skype to use it to make calls to normal landlines and mobiles. You just need to buy credit through Skype and use the headset/speakers & microphone set up you have and away you go. You are however still 'attached' to the PC (unless there's such a thing as wireless headsets - is there?).

You can buy a base and handset which would allow you to move away from the PC or even use your existing setup (so I've been told), but I'm not sure how that works.

Olly

hi all
not having alot of luck with the webcam for skype
I asks to test and its ok and when I use it with skype the sound from the mic its built into the webcam works ok but no viewing.
if I send via msn the webcam works ok so its some sort of hook up or config problem. anyone got any views.

hi all
if you are going to add me to your skype.
tell me who you are as I have a few funny skype one in a language that I think is from mars and I just block and delete the same as msn.

hi all
got the web cam working and talked to jaffasoft with it a bit slower then with msn but alot clearer from a picture view
I used a dick smith xh5096 wreb cam it has built in mic and is fine
also rates wise it cost 10 euro to buy credit
land and mobile was fine costs 0.027dollars to land lines and $0.204 to mobiles I have 9.98 euros left after two calls on 10 euro credit.
one interesting thing it cost the same to skype to england land line as it does to a landline in syd, bris, perth, melb, adel but 0.88 to nt so for those in nt ring there mobile as its back to 0.204.

Was wondering about the credit side of things....
Thanks for the insight Gross...
BTW, if you call a land line, is it a fixed charge, or is it timed ( ie..cost more the longer you are on ?)

So whats the euro/AUD conversion and therefore, the equiv. cost in AUD ofr a local call ?

Kp

Back