Who is your hero?

Dear guys,

The pursuit of perfection is a continuous journey.

Part of this is by emulating successful people. I think in Australia we play down the importance of hero's. We so rarely discuss them and yet there is much we can learn from their journey's, idea's and the obstacles they have overcome.

Before discovering Jan Somers my hero's consistently have been Dick Smith and Sir Sydney Kidman.

Dick Smith for integrity, a charitable nature and tireless energy.

Sydney Kidman for sound property strategies (Owning 4% of Australia - is a feat no-one has yet surpassed.), understanding the importance of controlling land near watercourses and letting land lie fallow.

What hero's do other's have on this forum? Do you have any property related hero's? Why are they your hero/s? What makes them successful and what parts would you like to emulate? Would you consider them a rolemodel for others?

What impact have hero's had/could have on your personal development and IP journey?

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Hi Sunstone,

Personally, Hero is too strong a word for me, I don't have any hero's, except maybe my wife and two boys. I believe we are all as important as each other, just because someone excels in an area better than someone else doesn't necessarily make them a hero. I'm reading Nelson Mandela's biography at the moment and to most people in the world he is a hero, but ask his ex wives who he admits he didn't treat so well, if he is a hero and I'm sure you would get a different answer.

However, in saying that, when I first entered real estate I worked for a guy called Kim Pitman. He taught me the power of positive thinking and the energy and enthusiasm he portrayed was inspiring. He could turn anything into a positive and would drive himself to amazing levels.

I met Wayne Bennett, Brisbane Broncos coach, at our State conference last year. He was the most amazing speaker. The room was silent as he spoke and he really made us think about ourselves and who it was that was in charge of our own destiny. The setbacks that he has encountered in his life would leave many others on the scrapheap yet this man faces adversity like very few could do. If you missed his tale on Australian Story on ABC some time ago, try to find it, it's so inspiring.

My interest in Real Estate was always with me as far back as I can remember. Kim Pitman gave me one of Jan's early books which gave me the knowledge to understand investing to a greater level than I had.

Lastly, John McGrath is a real leader who is always positive, progressive and inspirational. He has a genuine belief in providing great service to assure repeat business. Dennis Waitley once described him as the Energiser Bunny, he just never seems to be in any gear but overdrive. I'm looking forward to hearing him speak again and visiting his office next month in Sydney.

No hero's but certainly people I respect very highly for what they have achieved.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Another great post to get the mind ticking over Sunstone!

For me, my great grand mother. She was an Irish servant girl that met her husband, a Croatian publican, in Melbourne. They went to NZ with 4 kids and ran other peoples pubs for 5 years (having 4 more kids in the meantime.)

They saved enough to buy a run down sheep station in 1906 with a huge mortgage. 14 months later he died and the bank wanted to sell her out as "women couldn't borrow". She drove the buggy to the bank and insisted the bank manager come with her. She made him walk up all over the land (and it is VERY steep)pointing out what they had accomplished until he relented in exhaustion! He gave her 6 months to show a profit. She did it and 2 years later purchased the station next door with a mortgage in her own name with no male guarantor. 4 years later she purchased another property with cash.

She even got her elder children to teach her to read & write so she knew what she was signing!

After that when anyone went to the bank to buy a farm, the bank manager would ask "what does Mrs D think of the land". If she said it was ok they got the loan:)

G'day Sunstone

Heroes, huh?

If the definition of a hero, is someone admired both for their achievements and their noble character, that perhaps makes the quest a little tricky!

People known only by achievement and professional reputation may or may not also possess a noble character, so I shall present these heroes who may also have feet of clay:

Lady Jessie Street, who campaigned for 'Sheepskins for Russia' when she learned that Russian troops, defending against the German advance, were dying in the snow wearing threadbare, peasants clothing. She then raised the money for a ship to take the skins to Russia.

Alan Bond, who showed great vision in the development of Yanchep Sun City north of Perth in the late 1980s, and in the development of Taylor's Lakes NW of Melbourne, incorporating ribbon parklands and flowing water throughout the estates. Prior to this, nasty flowing water was barrel drained and hidden from sight.

Sir Reg Ansett, who showed great fortitude in the development of his airline, despite referring to air hostessess as 'old boilers'

Walter Burley Griffin and his wife Marion Mahony Griffin for their inspired planning and beautiful streetscapes of Canberra. The use of curved and winding streets became popular following this influence. I grew up in Ivanhoe, and from the next street was their Eaglemont estate, which becomes more beautiful with each passing year

Edna Walling for her feisty landscape designs

Sydney Myer for becoming successful enough to be able to, and wanting to, give the people of Melbourne the Music Bowl

Daisy Bates for her loving work amongst the Aboriginal people of South Australia

My grandfather, John Pender, for loving Australia and it's freedom enough, that at the age of 32, married with 3 children, this humble station master enlisted in the Army, and died on his birthday along with 40,000 other men at the Battle of the Somme. He died because he went out from the foxhole to look for his Lieutanant, and in trying to get him off the wire was himself shot. Both men hung there for three days before the stretcher bearers could retrieve their bodies.

At this time of Anzac Day, the heroes we look for in our lives are all around us. Life itself is made up of many small acts of heroism.

When I read your post, Sunstone, I took it to mean role models in an action sense, but my answer has evolved from the achievements to the noble.

Perhaps they are inextricably linked, and cannot be separated after all.

So heroes must therefore include the Captain and Crew of the Tampa

The soldiers recently involved in Iraq, and our troops in every war, from the Boer to Vietnam

The astronorts (sic) who braved the frontiers of space

and Captain Nero who travelled 40,000 leagues under the sea!

Oh, blimey, Sunstone! Now look what you've done!! Just make sure you don't do any good deeds this week, or you'll end up on my heroes list, too!

As Tiny Tim would say 'God Bless Us, Everyone'

Kristine

Lest We Forget

Last edited:
In property I would say Con Polities and Con Makris who both built comercial property empires from humble beginings. My plumber mate who showed what the power of residential property can be.

Syd and Jack Smith for showing what a backyard full of parrots can lead to. JOHANN GREGOR MENDEL (1822-1884) the father of genetics. Cyril Laubscher for the quaility of his bird photos.

The Dr and Centrelink desk jockey who told me to sit back and watch life go by :rolleyes:

The forumites for pushing my knowledge level much faster than I would on my own research :D

bundy

I don't have hero's, but there's plenty of people that I admire. some of them include:

Frank Lowy, where he's come from, and what he's achieved from his humble beginnings is amazing.

John McGrath. I agree with Kevin's comments here, I've been fortunate enough to spend time with him a couple of times and he is the most energising person, with an amazing mind, he's very inspirational and encouraging.

I used to admire Harry Trigaboff, but don't anymore.

And, there is a few people that make me think on the forum too who i'd like the opportunity to meet and pick their brains.

Any lastly, I admire my hubby - he is the most fantastic, analytical, sincere, moral and intelligent person I've come across.

I'd like to recommend Jan (following on from Sunstone's comment) - for me, Jan has shown how it is possible for the average person to succeed with investment real estate. And, for me, the ability to support myself and my family is highest on the list of goals.

This might sound trite, but I don't care - I KNOW there are others out there who think as I do. I don't need to be a multi-millionaire - all I want is an even chance at being "comfortable" in my retirement (and a pension just ain't gunna do it !!!)

Yeah, I know there are others doing IP investment - but how many are really comfortable with the high-risk strategies advocated by some "guru's" - I'm an average bloke with average aspirations, and, for me, Jan shows the way to succeed using no more than a bit of knowledge of IP's. Nothing "mind-blowing" - just good old-fashioned commonsense stuff (maybe not that common, but nothing extra-ordinary either - just learn it).

A few years, a few well-chosen IP's, and there you are - all done, all dusted !!!!! Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing risky, but something I would wish for everyone. We can't all be heroes, but we can all aspire to be the best we can, and to provide sufficiently for our loved ones. And Jan has shown the way !!!!

And, let's face it - with what I've learned in the last 3 years from this forum, whose to say that I won't grow in knowledge , and FAR exceed any current plans or aspirations ???

Onya Jan !!!! And a big THANK YOU for what you and Ian are providing via this website

Regards,

Hi

Great topic, Sunstone!

For me, there are many, but at the top of the list is my wife and children; my late mother in law and my grandparents who brought me up and put up with me . . .

Outside of family, the one and only Billy Connolly.

Dale

Onya Sunstone!

You reminded me of a quote from my very own book.... may I be so ego-centric as to quote it here?

"You may think that only little kids have heroes, but we all should have at least one. I have people I look up to concerning many areas of my life. My financial wellbeing is just one area."

My financial heroes would have to be Sir Kiyosaki for not being afraid not to cater only to "the masses". He is not afraid to be a little extreme in his teachings and in his general outlook....I like that!

Rich De Vos - co-founder of Amway and pioneer of the philosophy he calls "Compassionate Capitalism" (great book!)

My good friend and financier David who always goes out of his way "to make a positive difference to other people, even if they don't seem like they don't truly deserve it."

Lastly, one of my main heroes is......ME! All the teahers and mentors in the world will not do a scrap of good, if I don't have the ability to learn from them! So good onya Hobgoblin for being humble enough to learn and also courageous enough to take action.
I reckon the same should go for all of you guys! Thanks for being the life of this forum, ppl and thanks Jan for making this possible! :)

Regards,
Hobsie

Dear guys,

Thanks for the feedback!

Few more questions for you guys below. :-----------)

Kristine,

Yes achievements and noble character can be tricky. But at the end of the day I believe in people whom you can respect and yet have the humility to admit when they can be wrong.

Would you emulate any of them? Which characteristics do you think you have tried to incorporate/live up to in yourself?

JoannaK,

Agree with you on respecting a few people on this forum. Maybe the people we associate with reinforces what we respect in them and in ourselves.

Why the change on Harry (for those of us that haven't done all our research yet)?

Bundy,

Tell us more about the two Cons? I am sure that others would like to know more about them.

Les,

Agree with your comments on Jan and Ian. Ian was a pleasure to meet and certainly someone to respect with his humbleness and integrity. Also thanks to Les yourself for coming up with the suggestion in the first place to Ian/Jan to create this forum. This embryonic certainly has meant a lot of good things to a lot of people. :)

Innovative ideas are always good, however they must be able to be tied back to the fundamental "buy and hold" strategy to enhance it without losing the core of what makes it work in the first place. Some in the current marketplace I think can forget that.

Dale,

Billy Connolly is certainly a character. I'm interested in knowing what particular parts make him your hero? Which parts do you think we can emulate to make us more successful?

Hobsie,

Hero's normally don't call themselves hero's. That is the humility of the Australian way. However I certainly agree that you should like yourself and yet continually try on improvement through taking action.

Comes back again to "The pursuit of perfection is a continuous journey."

What would you like to improve in yourself? What parts especially in you that you would like to see others emulate?

Kevin,

How does a hero maintain their energy levels? How do they recharge their batteries to keep on pumping out more? It is just mindset or the fabulous infectous enthusiasm dealing with other like minded people? Is there something else as well?

Ani,

Your grandmother sounded like one interesting lady. Did she pass down to her children parts that you would like to emulate that carried her energy and expertise further?

How about the other guys on the forum. I don't believe that we have only 9 of us with hero's. 1,464 registered users and a 1,000 more lurkers that are going to take the first step and put up their first post.

Some more thoughts............

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Sunstone (and everyone)

I wish I could take the hint and wait for others to post, I'm just so excited about life right now, I can't keep quiet. :D

How would I like to improve myself?

I have two ears and one mouth and hope to learn one day to use them in that proportion - to listen twice as much as I speak.
(I guess I'll start that after this post - LOL!)

What parts of me would I like to see others emulate?

I would like to see more people not be afraid to go against the grain if it feels right. To head out into the desert looking for opportunity, when the rest of the herd is clamouring for the waterhole.

Thanks for getting me thinking more about that

Hobgoblin

Hi Sunstone,

I think if I had to simplify the many influences on my life the two most positive would be mentoring through the wisdom and experiences found in sources like books and this forum.

But I get my inspiration mainly from sporting heroes. I view heroism as applying yourself to a challenge that other mere mortals can only wonder in awe. I certainly don't view my current path as a property investor worthy of attaching hero status to, no matter how great the accomplishment. In property investment, I believe most ordinary people attaining enough knowledge could be successful in that persuit.

But the idea of conditioning yourself physically and mentally for years (some might call that self-inflicted punishment) to experience maybe a handful of glorious moments overwhelms me with awe.

I've witnessed many sporting heroic moments over the years so it would be unfair to make comparisons but a couple that standout for me is Steve Waugh's one-day century in the final super-six match of the 1999 cricket world cup against South Africa where a loss would have put Australia out. Australia lost the toss and had to chase S. Africa's mammoth total of 271. They just got there by two balls with Steve Waugh undefeated on 120 from 110 ball faced and deservedly got Man of the Match. In the whole series Steve batted in 8 innings for an average of 79.6 - helped by 3 not-outs. The rest is history as the Australians won the final.

Another inspirational moment occurred in the Sydney Olympics and was the moment my current sporting hero came to my attention. On the evening of September 30, 2000, Paula Radcliffe led the Olympic 10,000 meter final for 24 laps, pushing the pace beyond the Olympic record and dropping all but three of the world’s best athletes - three runners who would outkick her in that final lap to take the gold, silver and bronze medals. I was amazed that she put it all on the line when she could have sat back, maybe with some cover, conserved something for that final agonising sprint. But it's clear to me now that isn't her style. She wants to run the opposition off their feet and make them despair. One quote about her Olympic performance summed it up well: "Paula's 10,000 meter race was the gutsiest performance at the games by any athlete. People the world over admired her effort and true Olympic spirit, and she will be remembered for that race long after the medalists are forgotten."

Well, he's right there. I haven't got a clue who won that race.

You can view Paula's career highlights at http://www.sptrack.org/athletes_prad.php.

She has won her last six international races including the London marathon in which she used male pacemakers in order to post her best time. Her time was 2 hours, 15 minutes and 25 seconds.

Quote - "Radcliffe, 29, confirmed her status as one of the finest-ever British runners by finishing ahead of the first British man - who made two hours and 17 minutes - the first time this has happened. The second woman, former world record-holder Catherine Ndereba, finished a distant four minutes and 40 seconds behind Radcliffe.

Her performance overshadowed the men’s race and brought the women’s world record to within eight minutes of the men’s mark. In 1981, the year of the first London Marathon, the gap was 18 minutes."

Nuff said. Regards, Mike

Hi Sunstone

My heroes are those people that step way out of their comfort zones to invest. It takes sheer trust and guts to change what your parents have taught you and your peers have reinforced ever since.

The same respect goes for people that leave "secure well paying jobs" to start their own small business, or have left the full time workforce to be a full time investor/renovator.

Ta

rolf

Originally posted by Sunstone

Dale,

Billy Connolly is certainly a character. I'm interested in knowing what particular parts make him your hero? Which parts do you think we can emulate to make us more successful?

Sunstone.

Hi!

BIlly is an extraordinary man who has made millions of people laugh for something like 30+ and that alone is enough for me to admire.

Moreso, he has made something of himself from a wayward child written off by teachers and abused by family.

Despite the harshness with which he was treated as a child, he found the beauty within himself and the world and gives far more than he takes.

Besides which, I love his brand of insanity!!!!!!!!

Dale

How do they keep their energy levels???

The best person to ask on the forum is probably brains from what I can make of him. I've got the feeling he is a very passionate person, prepared to be different and speak his mind. I would suggest he maintains high energy levels. Maybe he is controversial at times but you can learn so much more from them.

I believe it is inbuilt and not something you can learn, although you can learn to increase your energy levels. Health and fitness, positive attitude, belief in who you are, confidence and willingness to learn all play a part. Nothing wrong with ego either, just as long as it's controlled ego.

I have just started a new salesperson and his energy levels are so high, he just bounces off walls all day long. You can't teach it, you can't manufacture it. We can however increase our own and I would start with health and fitness.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Hi Guys,

On a serious note,

My heroes come from ordinary people who achieve or do the most extroadinary feats in life for no monterary gain or recognition.

This includes;

Parents or foster parents who devote their whole life in caring for their disabled child.

Single parents who raise their children to become well respected members of the community despite critisim, poverty and lack of support from those around them.

People who donate body parts eg Kidneys to save another persons life.

Animal activist throughout the world who are trying to save our endangered wildlife from being the latest meal in an asian restaurant.

People who devote their whole life to charity work in countries that have been ravaged by civil wars, brutality, poverty and starvation.

They are all my heroes.

Mrs Bird

Another thought provoking thread Sunstone.

My hero for today is Kevin Hockey.:)

You picked me, very observant Kevin. Ive been accused of being hyper, being A.D.D. (or whatever they call it) and needing Ritalin, having so much nervous energy it drains people...haha.
I do have a lot of energy when it comes to things i am passionate about (which is almost everything) and im not worried about going gainst the grain.

Years ago, when i worked for Telstra, i was asked why i work so hard as i was making the others look bad. My answer was "i'm not here to be popular mate, im here to succeed" and thats sort of been my motto. But im not as extreme as that sounds.

Anyway, as far as heroes go, I dont really have many but a couple come to mind . For an obscure one theres a guy called Nicola Tesla. Thomas Edison pinched a lot of his inventions and claimed them as his own and used his political clout to undermine him. An absolute unfulfilled genius.

One more would be Richard Branson, who was told at school
"Branson, you will either go to jail or become a millionaire"
he outdid that, he became a billionaire and the way he did it is amazing and inspiring.

I admire his daring to be different, his finding new and innovative solutions to problems and he is also a good bloke (but a bit of a womaniser and party animal, what a hero... HAHAHA).

He thinks differently to everyone else, its like his brain is programmed in a different way to the rest of the population, i suppose like most mega achievers.

Lastly, as Hobsie says me hero is me....because i believe if you dont admire yourself (within reason) you 'll get nowhere. You need self belief to make the courageous desicions.

Just one more point: For some reason a saying that a friend told me a while back came to mind while i was typing. Its sort of relevant to Sunstones other thread about success.

"Its the Australian way to see a Lotto winning millionaire as a hero, but when someone works his way to be rich hes considered a bighead, dishonest, greedy...etc....

Maybe one last point::D A mention for Mahumad Ali as a sporting hero, transcending sport, politics, racism..and to emerge as one of the best boxers and icons (black or white) of last century.

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost forgot to mention Neil Jenman as a hero. What he does in trying to reform the real estate industry against incredible odds, including threats..etc...is just amazing. I know a lot of people on this forum dont like him or his concepts, but hey, thats cool, we cant all like the same people.

Back