Who pays - LL or Tennat

My property manager came to me with 2 issues

1. The downstairs toilet light switch is coming loose. This is quite dangerous as there is potential for electrocution.
2. The upstairs bathroom vanity taps are leaking - need a new wash

In this scenario is it the LL's responsibility to fix. Also for #2 shouldn't it be the tenant.

Look forward to your advise

Regards
b7277

As said, the landlord is responsible for all repairs to the property unless you can show that the tenant deliberately damaged something. The tenant is entitled to working electrical and plumbing systems and these repairs should be carried out promptly.
Marg

It is concerning that someone with an IP has such a limited idea of obligations of landlords. I would suggest an evening or two on the internet checking out the regulations in the relevant state.
Marg

The only time this would be a tenant issue is if they caused the need for repair. Both of these would be pretty difficult to blame on the tenant.

They couldn't really pull the switch off the wall.

You couldn't prove that the tenant was over tightening the tap and damaging the washer.

Washers and light switches wear, it will all come under maintenance - a hole in the wall? That's easy to prove the tenant did it ;).

what about broken windows? who's fault is that? I have an ip that 'apparently" got broken, ive had to pay for someone to board it up, $100
plus new window $200,
ouchy!

also, one of my tenants had a domestic and punched the wall, but owned up to it , and fixed it himself,

who's responsiblity would it have been had he said "the hole just appeared overnight!" or "someone broke in and kicked it in?"

Good question tmnt. I thin it depends what type of window. Lovers over time can crack in the middle with no assistance especially if the house is moving.

A broken window I say would be tenant responsibility. If they said someone broke into the property I would say they still had to pay for it and I would also ask for a crime report number to support their story.

Good question tmnt. I thin it depends what type of window. Lovers over time can crack in the middle with no assistance especially if the house is moving.

I felt the earth move... :D

A broken window I say would be tenant responsibility. If they said someone broke into the property I would say they still had to pay for it and I would also ask for a crime report number to support their story.

I agree with this. If a tenant is trying to blame something that they caused on a mythical burglar, then they would have reported it to the police and would be able to give the landlord a crime report number.

My brother, who mows lawns, was told by a tenant recently that a window was broken by a stone thrown from the mower, so he gets to pay for it. He cannot prove it didn't happen, but he is not happy. He may have been the cause, but he feels strongly (these people are moving out and it will be discovered very soon) that they are using his recent mow as an easy way out of them having to pay... make the mower man pay.

Back