Who pays?

A tenant complains that their ground floor apartment has a drip coming from the ceiling, and the ceiling is sagging. It turns out that the unit above which is also tenanted has dripping connections between the washing machine hoses and taps. Who pays? Owner's corp,upstairs tenant,upstairs owner?

Tools

Your PM should be well and truly able to handle this for you. We had a similar situation where a rotten little mouse played havic. It start with the owner/connector of the appliance, and then follows the drip trail, as to who is responsible.
The combination we found was, 1st tenants insurance, 1st tenants landlord insurance, 2nd tenants insurance, 2nd tenants landlord insurance, and then in the middle was the Body Corporate insurance.
End of the day, all repaired, all happy, perhaps except the insurance companies who ducked and weaved and tossed to the other insurer at each turn.
let me know if I can help, and good luck.

If it is a problem with the washing machine fittings then it is the tenants responsibility to fix that (if they own the washing machine). New washers should be a big deal.

BUT if it is leaking into the downstairs unit and the floor not being faulty then that is a different issue.
It gets tricky here. Is floor original or has it been retiled?

Thanks for the replies guys. There is no pm on our behalf as we built the building. Naturally when anything at all goes wrong for the next few years the builder gets the blame. The building is only 6 months or so old and was professionally waterproofed and tiled so not sure how the water has got through. The upstairs tenant has been there for 6 months and thishas only raised it's head now, but has obviously been leaking for some time judging by the sagging of the ceiling. I have sent the plumber's bill ( shoul dhave also sent them a bill for my time) to both the owner's corp and the upstairs tenant's agent two days ago. Neither of them has responded yet to take ownership of this account!

Tools

Back