Who pays?

Um, navigator, if you're the landlord, that wording is in your favour already. It says it's the tenant's responsibility. ;)

I always assume that after people have read something, they actually know and understand what it says. I should stop assuming that. My post above was predicated on the OP realising the clause was in the Landlord's favour.

So what are you saying jaycee, that since the tenant doesn't know how to get rid of wasps, that the landlord should be charged to remove it?

What say if a snake wriggled up onto the back deck. It is not the landlords responsibility. Anyone with half a brain living in the premises would take steps to remove the slimy critter. (for that matter, mice, wasps, spiders, etc)

Cheers,

F

No all I said was perhaps they aren't purposely doing to pull the wool over your eyes which you suggested they might be.

As I said, I'm not experienced with them and so may have done the same thing, not to get one over the ******* landlord and take them for a ride but when unsure ask right ?

When I received an answer such as Dazz suggested I would say ok, what's wrong with that ?

We have done 1000's of pest treatment in rental properties and have never had a tenant pay for wasps to be removed.

The landlord nearly always pays other than for fleas if the tenant has pets.

Small expense

Mate, if they are looking after the house I would do it.
Buy Rat Sak and place in roof or a trap on floor, the wasp's some councils will remove free of charge? worth checking yours.
If they are good tenants do it happily.
All the best

If you sucumb to this, then be prepared to fork out alot of money to fix any of the tenants future issues, especially when he knows that he got one over you with respect to the wasp saga.

F

Perhaps I'm naive, I don't immediately think the worst of our tenants. What makes you think the tenant is trying one on?

I see two options here. Pay a small fee, have the nest removed, the tenant is happy and is more likely to do the right thing in regards to the property.

Two - jump up and down and make a noise about the tenant 'trying to rip you off', get the tenant offside, they are less likely to do the right thing.

So you end up turning a small problem into a big one. Great idea.

Too many landlords treat situations like these as a huge issue, when any reasonable person would see that it isn't. Landlords like this give the rest of us a bad name.

When I get grumpy and think the tenants are always trying to 'get one over me', it will be time to sell up. It won't be worth the stress of worrying about those 'scheming tenants'.

Too many landlords treat situations like these as a huge issue, when any reasonable person would see that it isn't. Landlords like this give the rest of us a bad name.

I agree, minor things I wouldn't be having a dispute over unless it was on-going and the tenant obviously is trying to get everything they can. Not all tenants are out to get what they can and rip everyone off. I am pretty new to all this, so maybe i'm a bit naive also, but I think a good relationship with the tenant would be pretty important. You do right by them, they'll do right by you.

Having said that, I had a tenant come into the office recently asking who was responsible for the garage remote battery because it was flat and they were having to get out of the car all week. For $2 or $3, I can't believe they bothered to ask! :rolleyes:

I am pretty new to all this, so maybe i'm a bit naive also, but I think a good relationship with the tenant would be pretty important.

Having said that, I had a tenant come into the office recently asking who was responsible for the garage remote battery because it was flat and they were having to get out of the car all week. For $2 or $3, I can't believe they bothered to ask! :rolleyes:

Maybe you are Biggles. I prefer absolutely no relationship at all, other than the strict contractual one that was agreed before they went in.

You do right by them, they'll do right by you.

One can believe anything if it gives you comfort.

When I get grumpy and think the tenants are always trying to 'get one over me', it will be time to sell up. It won't be worth the stress of worrying about those 'scheming tenants'.

Sounds fantastic in theory, until the wee small matter of CGT pops up.....at which point if you have chosen wisely in the past, that option becomes financial suicide, and it will definitely be worth the stress.

I spent Sunday afternoon mowing lawns and re-oiling fences and weeding and fixing retic at a set of units whilst the tenants came and went from the pub and reluctantly moved their cars off of my $30k landscaped gardens. In the past 2 years the properties have gone down in value by 15% and they are quite negative in cashflow. I must have had rocks in my head not to have flogged those things.

still, we sold a house nearly 2 years ago that had similar nunbers to above. a similar hosue has just come on the market at the same price we sold for 2 years ago, so that gave me a warm and fuzzy.

as for the wasps, I think it's just a case of shell out as per everything else with resi. surely wasps are directly attributable to the surrounding area? Sit on this (house) long enough and if you get lucky and cop a boom you can cash out and then crack a beer. If that doesnt sound appealling then it's time for a serious rethink

I spent Sunday afternoon mowing lawns and re-oiling fences and weeding and fixing retic at a set of units whilst the tenants came and went from the pub and reluctantly moved their cars off of my $30k landscaped gardens.

I hope you gave them the appropriate 14 days written notice, had a good muffler on that lawnmower so as to not diminish their amenity, and profusely apologised to them for interrupting their leisure time on a Sunday.

Just think of the big picture Ausprop. :p

Sounds fantastic in theory, until the wee small matter of CGT pops up.....at which point if you have chosen wisely in the past, that option becomes financial suicide, and it will definitely be worth the stress.

I agree, I'd rather hold, but if I was cashing out, I'd be happy to pay CGT. It means I've made a profit

SCENARIO ONE

Bought $ 200,000 - Held for 10 years
Sold $450,000
Cap Gain $250,000
CGT at top marginal $ 58125
Profit after tax $191875

SCENARIO TWO

Sold $ 330,000
Cap Gain $130,000
CGT at top marginal $30,225
Profit after tax $99775

Which would you choose?

I dont get it, why would anyone choose option 2? sounds about as logical as rackign up expenses in order to get tax deductions

I agree, I'd rather hold, but if I was cashing out, I'd be happy to pay CGT. It means I've made a profit

SCENARIO ONE

Sold $450,000
Cap Gain $250,000
CGT at top marginal $ 58125
Profit after tax $191875

SCENARIO TWO

Sold $ 330,000
Cap Gain $130,000
CGT at top marginal $30,225
Profit after tax $99775

Which would you choose?

Neither, I'd present the title deeds to a lending institution and use them both as collateral to purchase better properties which exhibited better Tenants, better Leases and better incomes.

I'd concentrate on the big show and ignore the worm left in the house whining about some wasp nest.

I wouldn't be happy giving away 88K so flippantly. I'd keep the 88K in my pocket rather than give it to the ATO.

Neither, I'd present the title deeds to a lending institution and use them both as collateral to purchase better properties which exhibited better Tenants, better Leases and better incomes.

I'd concentrate on the big show and ignore the worm left in the house whining about some wasp nest.

I wouldn't be happy giving away 88K so flippantly. I'd keep the 88K in my pocket rather than give it to the ATO.

For the record I agree 100%. As I said, I'd rather hold than sell, but if I HAD to sell....

I agree, 88 grand is 88 grand.

Our tenant sent me a text saying he had put the rent in early due to the Easter holiday, and wishing us a Happy Easter :D.

I have lovely relationships with my tenants (apart from a few less than good ones, but over 30 years, that's OK).

I have to say that in all my time being a landlord, I don't think I have ever had someone want me to remove a wasp nest. I would think most people would knock it off with a broom at dusk and spray the wasps.

I don't think I'm naive, but I am nice to my tenants (unless they give me reason not to be) and the relationships generally are very good.

Wylie, I agree. Those of us that actually enjoy having good relationships with people, some how end up having good relationships. I suppose its the self fulfilling prophecy stuff ... I even have great relationships with my commercial tenants, and some how every one eems to stay within the boundaries that they are supposed to. Get a bottle of scotch with the xmas rent cheque, and you know things are OK

who pays indeed.

we had a funny situation last week.

our PM sent us an email forwarded from the strata manager requesting we get a quote for tree removal.

this was it seems because a possum report had been made.

the possum inspector(?) wrote a report which stated, our unit had a large tree that enabled possums to gain roof access, and said the tree needs to be removed.

we have no trees in the the grounds of our unit, so we certainly were not interested in any quotes or paying once the bill was presented.

we wondered if our PM actually looks when she does inspections and how the possum inspector arrived at his/her assessment.

it seems the tree is in another garden so it will be the other persons problem.

Wylie, I agree. Those of us that actually enjoy having good relationships with people, some how end up having good relationships. I suppose its the self fulfilling prophecy stuff ... I even have great relationships with my commercial tenants, and some how every one eems to stay within the boundaries that they are supposed to. Get a bottle of scotch with the xmas rent cheque, and you know things are OK

Hmmm....maybe that's just how things are done in Cooroopooroo land.

Maybe I'm just an old fashioned rent collector, but my relationship success with my Tenants is not measured by how nice they think I am, but by the seven figure rent sums poured into our account every year. The only people I answer to, my Lenders, certainly set me straight as to what is really important.

Movie tickets, flowers, cheerful Easter text and bottles of scotch don't form part of the metrics for our relationships.

I guess with the magnification and compound effect over a certain decent period of time, different strategies employed in the property endeavour yield very very different results. No doubt people reading this will have to sit back and determine which result they wish to head toward.

I once shared a Brisbane house with a tough Kiwi farm girl......There was this wasp nest outside near the clothes line, and she refused to help garden the place or mow the lawn or use the clothes line until the PM or LL removed the nest. I changed my attitide totally about her after that. That weekend, a bed sheet over me, a good blast with a can of insect spray,and back 5 minutes later to break the mud nests off the external wall. Suppose I've met a few blokes as equally girly man.

The thing that freaked me out was snakes....We had a young python come into the house through the garage a few months ago in the hot weather. was a pain to get out as they go behind all the heavy bits of furniture......and then a small brown snake on the patio 2 weeks ago. The brown got the rake and spade across the neck treatment....fast little basterd. we put the python in a box and took him off to some heavily wooded area near a creek.

Possums can be a pain too....purely for the racket they make at night in the crawl space.

Back