Who pays?

I have recently been told by my PM that I am responsible for removing a wasps nest which has recently setup in the front yard of my IP during the course of a tenancy. Also, that I am responsible for removing a mouse which has apparently taken up residence. Is this right? It really doesn't seem right to me. If this is the case, am I as the landlord responsible for removing any snakes, possums, dogs, annoying visitors that may stray onto the property? I remember being a tenant myself and setting the odd mouse trap. Should I have simply called the landlord?:confused:

What a load of crap.

I am sure someone will post to say that it is your responsibility. and that if you don't, and your tenants get bitten by the wasp, that they will sue you...

All I can say is, seems like we are already living in America.

I don't think this is right, and you should find out from your PM why he believes that he thinks you have an obligation to remove it.

Easy solution. cough up $2 and shout them a can of aerosol. Just think, if your IP is not in your immediate area, your PM will get a handy man and charge you $65 to do the same thing.

Good luck.

F

I cannot believe a tenant would even bring this up with a PM :confused:

Have they not heard of sprays and mouse traps. Curious to hear from Lura or another PM on this one.

Having said that we have a tenant who is very demanding and she wanted us to get rid of ants and check for a possible dead possum in the roof. We think if we have not made the roof possom proof, we need to follow up if one has died up there. No possom found but we told our pest man to get rid of the green ant nest in the yard while he was there and poison the black ants which apparently are biting her clients inside the house.

We will do this one time and then she is on her own. We will ensure she pays for pest treatment on her way out too.

Legally I don't know where we stand (and mrom memory this is a bit of a grey area with RTA) but we were happy to treat this ant nest once and then she is on her own.

No possom found but we told our pest man to get rid of the green ant nest in the yard while he was there and poison the black ants which apparently are biting her clients inside the house.

We will do this one time and then she is on her own. We will ensure she pays for pest treatment on her way out too.

Legally I don't know where we stand (and mrom memory this is a bit of a grey area with RTA) but we were happy to treat this ant nest once and then she is on her own.

Wylie,

How do you plan in getting the money back for this when they vacate?, especially if it is not in the tenancy agreement?....or how can you get her to spray on vacating premises?... If it is already in agreement, well this is fairenough (Just like carpets being cleaned)

F

Thanks guys for your thoughts. It prompted me to double check the lease and I found this:

"In the event of any infectious disease, vermin, fleas, insects or rodents affecting the property and not attributed directly to the surroundings or as a result of an order by the Health Department or relevant authority, the tenant agrees to rectify and indemnify the landlord/agent against any costs incurred".

No other reference to pests. Perhaps I should modify the lease next time as the property is in a rural-ish area (3/4 acre - likely to have this happen again). Sad that I should have to though.

By the way Fudge - cost quoted by pm for wasp removal - $88. You could get a lot of cans of bug spray for that!

If your tenant is looking after the general daily upkeep of a property that size properly, they should know to keep an eye out for the start of wasp & ant nests, mouse activity etc..........surely?!

Our hobby farm is 7 acres and we have it in the 'house instructions' that they are to keep an eye on these things & that we won't be liable for anything, as per that clause in your lease unless something happens within the structure or roof of the buildings. We told them to have a good think about it & consider that it is probably the way they live that is encouraging ants & mice to be at the property. We just got to the point.

We did have our previous tenant try & sue us (amongst a mountain of other things) for mice apparently eating through their brand new car wiring & their insurance company wouldn't insure them if we didn't do something about it. I told them to set a trap. It was bluff once again on their part and we heard nothing else about it.

They also had a go about some ant activity (spray them or use whatever you want to get rid of them), a possum, foxes & rabbits also came onto the property at times. How would you suggest we tell these animals they're not allowed within the fence boundary? We just reminded the tenant several times that this is what happens when you live in the country.

By the way Fudge - cost quoted by pm for wasp removal - $88. You could get a lot of cans of bug spray for that!

Ouch!

I would inform the PM that it is the tenants responsibility.

(Even if I was close by, I wouldn't be bothered to drive around and remove it) If the tenant see this, they will then know they can hit you with a hell of alot more!

Cheers,

F

Also tell the PM to tell the tenant to stop eating peanuts in the house, or at least vacuum after it. I have found that mice love peanuts/shells

Agree with the mouse / mice, clean up, set a trap and/or get a cat.

But wasps ? Whoever pays, are wasps nests something you should tackle yourself with cans of spray ?

Agree with the mouse / mice, clean up, set a trap and/or get a cat.

But wasps ? Whoever pays, are wasps nests something you should tackle yourself with cans of spray ?

I agree. I think the spray would make the wasps mad. I'd rather get a professional in and pay the 80 bucks, rather than instruct the tenant to spray them, they get stung, then I'm stuck with the tenants hospital bills.

You have to pick your battles in this game.

I agree. I think the spray would make the wasps mad. I'd rather get a professional in and pay the 80 bucks, rather than instruct the tenant to spray them, they get stung, then I'm stuck with the tenants hospital bills.

You have to pick your battles in this game.

Are you for real?

I wouldn't instruct the tenants to remove them. I am just saying that I wouldn't pay for it. They can leave them there for all I care.

A bottle of spray will remove them easily. Then come back after 5 mins and remove the nest with a screwdriver or something like that. How hard is it?

I better say that you wouldn't use the screwdriver and disintegrate their home while you are spraying.....I thought that would be pretty obvious, and if you do do something like that, then you deserve to be stung!

If you sucumb to this, then be prepared to fork out alot of money to fix any of the tenants future issues, especially when he knows that he got one over you with respect to the wasp saga.

F

Last edited:
Fudge you are assuming the tenant knows enough about wasps to know he is pulling the wool over one's eyes.

I don't.

But luckily enough, I'd just have to ring a relative to find out.

Maybe it's the european wasps that you ned to be more weary of, but as I said, don't know, but I wouldnt feel comfortable tackling it.

We've removed many wasps nests. Hubby gets a broom and knocks it to the ground, then goes inside. When there are no wasps around, sweep it up and put it in the bin. Easy!

I have to say that each time he has done this, they haven't come back to build a new nest.

I think the spray would make the wasps mad. I'd rather get a professional in and pay the 80 bucks, rather than instruct the tenant to spray them, they get stung, then I'm stuck with the tenants hospital bills.

You'd never write or instruct verbally anything.

It would be prudent to simply quote the relevant clause which puts the financial onus back onto the Tenant, then simply let them decide / choose which method they wish to discharge their responsibility.

They can pay for the professional to get it done for $ 88.00 or they can get out there with a broom for free and do it themselves. It's their decision.

Last edited:
Fudge you are assuming the tenant knows enough about wasps to know he is pulling the wool over one's eyes.

I don't.

But luckily enough, I'd just have to ring a relative to find out.

Maybe it's the european wasps that you ned to be more weary of, but as I said, don't know, but I wouldnt feel comfortable tackling it.

So what are you saying jaycee, that since the tenant doesn't know how to get rid of wasps, that the landlord should be charged to remove it?

What say if a snake wriggled up onto the back deck. It is not the landlords responsibility. Anyone with half a brain living in the premises would take steps to remove the slimy critter. (for that matter, mice, wasps, spiders, etc)

Cheers,

F

Thanks guys for your thoughts. It prompted me to double check the lease and I found this:

"In the event of any infectious disease, vermin, fleas, insects or rodents affecting the property and not attributed directly to the surroundings or as a result of an order by the Health Department or relevant authority, the tenant agrees to rectify and indemnify the landlord/agent against any costs incurred".

No other reference to pests. Perhaps I should modify the lease next time as the property is in a rural-ish area (3/4 acre - likely to have this happen again).
Um, navigator, if you're the landlord, that wording is in your favour already. It says it's the tenant's responsibility. ;)

Back