Who should pay?

Hi guys,

I received my monthly statement for one of my fully furnished properties today and attached was this invoice, saying that the fridge tec attended my property to look at the fridge which was packed beyond capacity and unable to work correctly. I know the bill is only $132 but I find it hard to believe that I should be the one forking out money for someone to come out when the fridge isn't broken.

What are your thoughts? Am I being a tight **** or should the tenant be paying the bill?

I've called the REA and left a msg to call back as she didn't even request to send someone out to the property.

Cheers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 105
Thanks for the quick response Terry. Got on to the agent and she informed me the tenant will be refunding me. Stressed over nothing. Happy days.

We have a similar problem. Tenants did not show at agreed time when a plumber was booked to fix leaking taps. They did not respond to telephone calls by the plumber. Have now received a $60 bill from PM.

Let's assume the tenants won't pay the bill, can I say to them fine, it will be a deduction from your bond when you vacate?

We have a similar problem. Tenants did not show at agreed time when a plumber was booked to fix leaking taps. They did not respond to telephone calls by the plumber. Have now received a $60 bill from PM.

Let's assume the tenants won't pay the bill, can I say to them fine, it will be a deduction from your bond when you vacate?

You could say that, but guess what they could say to you - "bottom burp"

Why would the tenants need to show?

yes tenants pay for all issues that have been caused by them.
yes you can deduct from bond - keep notes as it may need to be argued.

yes tenants pay for all issues that have been caused by them.
It's the landlord's responsibility to ensure the plumber has access. A tenant's failure to show up as a favour to the landlord is not an issue "caused" by the tenant.

I am assuming that they have made an appointment with the tenant to let them through.

we had a similar situation where an electrician scheduled a time with a tenant to check the smoke alarm.

tenant did not keep appointment - was charged call out fee. Invoiced by the agency to reimburse landlord.

I am assuming that they have made an appointment with the tenant to let them through.

we had a similar situation where an electrician scheduled a time with a tenant to check the smoke alarm.

tenant did not keep appointment - was charged call out fee. Invoiced by the agency to reimburse landlord.
What's done and what's legal are frequently two different things. Had the tenant gone to Tribunal, I'd be very surprised if it was upheld.

this invoice was paid by tenant.

I would definitely test at a tribunal - a tenant caused a financial loss for a landlord which would not otherwise be there. Why would you let that go without giving it a go?

Yes I would say you could ask but the tenants could refuse and I can't imagine a tribunal coming down on the side of the landlord on this one.

A good property management company would just issue a notice of entry and give tradesman a key upon receipt of acknowledgement. That way they are in control of the situation without relying on 3rd party (tenant) at any given time.

Any other way relies on too many variables and lower success outcome percentage.

pinkboy

The tenants work from home and yes arrangements/an appointment was made with them for access at a time they agreed to.

Some tenants (these included) are quite particular and insist they're present when a tradesperson attends. So we simply worked with them and the end result was they were not at home at the specified time.

Anyway, we'll get our money back one way or another.

Trades or whoever needs to get into property for repair/maintenance can pick up the key from the property manager.

I think the call out fee and the access are the real test to see if a property manager is professional or just collecting rent and doing nothing.

Some tenants (these included) are quite particular and insist they're present when a tradesperson attends. So we simply worked with them and the end result was they were not at home at the specified time.
Arranging for access to be at a time convenient to the tenant is a favour - but not an obligation - from the landlord to the tenant.

Relying on the tenant to provide that access - i.e. letting the tradesperson in without the need for the tradesperson to have a key - is likewise a favour - but not an obligation - from the tenant to the landlord (saving the cost of the round trip from the property to the PM's office to collect and return a key).

You can have the best of both worlds by arranging a time with the tenant, issuing an appropriate notice, and having the tradesperson arrive with a key (to get in if the tenant chooses not to take advantage of the opportunity to be present).

Back