Who will win the world cup??

Who will win the world cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
C'mon Hellas! Channel the spirit of Euro 2004 :)

Predictions
1. Espana's the team to beat.
2. Australia won't make it past the group stages.
3. England will believe they were robbed of something
4. Italy will play their frustratingly boring game
5. Argentina will not make it past the Group 16 game
6. I will be sleep deprived by the start of July.

Predictions

Tend to agree, although I think the Netherlands will be a strong (outside) chance against Spain. If Australia can manage to second in the group, it will almost certainly mean playing England in the round of sixteen. So, I'm hoping that's where they claim robbery :D

Tend to agree, although I think the Netherlands will be a strong (outside) chance against Spain. If Australia can manage to second in the group, it will almost certainly mean playing England in the round of sixteen. So, I'm hoping that's where they claim robbery :D

can you imagine how much the poms would whinge then???

C'mon Hellas! Channel the spirit of Euro 2004 :)

Predictions
By winning Euro 2008, I think they've finally overcome the "choking in big tournaments" syndrome. Although they would be the first European side to win a World Cup not in Europe, so on balance I slightly favoured Brazil.

Unfortunately, I'll agree with that. It's a tough group and we'll need a lot of skill and a bit of luck. Rather than winning the World Cup anytime soon, I'd settle for us to host it. Or I wouldn't mind another World Cup in Asia - better time zone for us.

Yet another Penalty Shootout exit? (a la 1990, 1998, 2006)

Which will be a pity, because they can play really well.

It'll be a pity not to see more of Lionel Messi though.

Me too. I still remember going dangerously close to nodding off on my first day of a new job after watching Australia v Japan at the last World Cup. :) But I don't think I was the only one feeling tired that morning.

Australia's group matches

Germany 14/6/10 4.30am lose
Serbia 24/6/10 4.30am lose

winners : hmmm.....tough call....soccer is so dependent on chance. I'd love to see a team pumped on Wally Lewis levels of adrenalin, just go out there and attack attack attack, with intent to get the ball in the net as many times as possible. instead, far too much time is wasted on unnecessary theatrics and dribbling, and wild wasted shots at goal.....with no concern for the ticking clock.

good soccer pitch TC. I note the red boundary lines are as straight as your crop rows.....I'll puke if you used gps to guide your paint spray.

P.S. I don't care who wins, as long as it is good soccer.
I care more about the Tour de France.

Last edited:
Was never a big fan until I ended up on Japanese TV commentating on the Aus-Japan games. Will end up watching when Aus or Japan play.

Well, if the Quant model used to provide a 69 page World Cup 2010 match-by-match analysis, to predict the outcome is accurate, then England will win....

This was produced by some over zealous JP Morgan geeks and I was stunned at the level of effort, detail and shear magnitude of the report. Full of detailed assumptions, Quant model analysis, graphs, tables etc.... Pure brilliance for the avid World Cup fan that isn't intellectually challenged ;)

Remember, football (or soccer as it is known here) is a multi-billion dollar corporate machine. Manchester United alone, is estimated to be worth in the vicinity of 1.4 billion!!! :eek: That is just one team, albeit one of the largest.

I just hope Australia makes the Round of 16....

What I would love to see is both Australia and England win or both come second in their groups - so they don't need to play each other until the later stages.
I think England can win it. They have the best striker in the world IMO - Rooney (and possibly Gerrard up front too). I like Lampard in the midfield , and Terry in the backs. The only thing that may stop them is the huge pressure they will feel from home...

Portugal will win with Argentina giving it a shake

Off to bed now for a couple of hours before seeing Aust who will need to beat Serbia and hope for a draw against Germany. Its good to see a station that knows what viewers want to see, the sport and not see 400 replays and 300 pointless graphs thrown across the screen, world cup into tour de france, go SBS.

Jezza

Poor England :p The players get yelled at by the manager, booed by the fans and crucified by the media.. It looked like they were playing with guns held to their heads..

Does anyone know why the last goal for the USA was disallowed??? :confused:

Back