Who will you leave it all to?

Who will you leave the majority of your assets to?

• To my spouse

Votes: 43 40.6%
  • to my kids

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • to other family members

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • To a testamentary trust my spouse controls

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • To a testamentary trust for each kid

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Charity

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • I don't have a will or a plan

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • Other - Please explain

Votes: 8 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Most people on the forum are building up an empire of multiple properties. If you were to die (when, not if:)) who do you intend to leave it all to?

I dont have a family, so my will in its current form as a 35yo has 50% of my assets going to my parents if they survive me, and 25% each to my 2 nephews

Like Ellejay, if I don't spend it all before I go then my half of my husband and my asset base will be going to charity. A small portion to a cancer research charity and the majority to dog charities.

Like Ellejay, if I don't spend it all before I go then my half of my husband and my asset base will be going to charity. A small portion to a cancer research charity and the majority to dog charities.

I love you Kesse, dog charities for me too but we'll work hard on spending it on ourselves first. :)

@24 so you'd hope I have a while before this happens.
Plan would be to give to spouse if out lived and then children (if i have them)

The death of my husband last year brought home to me the problems my children would have if I didn't simplify my estate by selling our commercial property ... its going on the market soon and hopefully I will soon be free from worry.

Trying to build up an empire for the kids and their kids etc as this is what my parents and their parents did. Would be pretty bad if I just spent it all after being given a good start myself.

The death of my husband last year brought home to me the problems my children would have if I didn't simplify my estate by selling our commercial property ... its going on the market soon and hopefully I will soon be free from worry.

Sorry to hear Balwoges.

can you please tell us the sorts of problems holding this commercial property would make?

Leftovers to charity.

Retirement will see me/us working in a charity as well.

Rest of family can cope like I had to.

They'll be right.

I will be mummified and entombed in an IP like some Egyptian pharaoh (don't know which one yet). There will be secret passageways fraught with danger ( and my portrait). I will lay in a secret compartment ornated with bogan chattels...flannelette shirts and ugg boots to keep me warm in the after life. I will be found behind the wheel of a VT commodore with some illegal substances under the front seat and a glove box full of unpaid traffic infringement notices.

Sorry to hear Balwoges.

can you please tell us the sorts of problems holding this commercial property would make?

After my demise :D - Paper trail - Where are the Deeds? its a multi tenanted property, who are the tenants, where are their contact details, where are the leases, are the tenants up to date with their rent, what accounts are unpaid. What was the Valuation of the Property at the time of my husband's death and where is it? Who was my accountant, and where are the bank statements, etc etc.

They know where the deeds are, who I bank with and my accountant and I have showed my reluctant son the accounting program I use to keep track of the business and explained to them about Capital Gains Tax, but ...

I wont even go into my experience with the ATO :rolleyes:

I wonder how many forum members with IP's have made arrangements re Estate Planning.

We are going to leave the majority of ours to the kids with some going to nieces and nephews

The proviso in ours is that they can't touch it until they are 30. This is to prevent them being slackers/trust fund babies :)

They will have to find their own way in the world until then.

Of course if we are still alive when they are 30 which is highly likely then they still have to find their own way.

Bloodline Trust to our kids when they're post 25 years old.

If we're all whipped out, 50/50 sister & bro-in-law.

If they're whipped out, divided equally between nephews & nieces.

Back