Who's achieved 50+ properties in their time on earth?

yes, I agree, I find that unless you have lots of $ to start off with or have an uncanny ability to convince someone to lend you lots of it,

50 properties+ would be very very difficult to do for the average person, so hence, I would love to know how an average person say gets even 20-30+ without being lucky or fortunate in one or more areas.

^^^^^ Steve I love your response.

Luck is a word often thrown around, But I'm aware of a few "lucky" people who own more than 50+ properties and we're told the whole way till they achieved it that " it was not possible unless they won lotto or we're already rich"

If you think outside the box you get results people consider abnormal :D

Everything in life is at least half luck - but it is how you decide to use that luck that determines how well you do. :)

I'm sure everyone has heard the saying "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade" - there really is an element of truth in that. If you look at me and one of my sisters you can see it is practice. Both of us have had to deal with similar hurdles in life and yet I like to think that I have made something of myself, and have goals and aspirations which I have achieved or hope to achieve. My sister on the other hand, as much as I love her, would surprise me greatly if she ever amounted to anything in life, or achieved anything much beyond what she already has. I really hope she proves me wrong, but whenever we have decisions to make in life, she almost always choices the oppersite of what I would.

As for spending 10k a week - ohh, that could be ssooo much fun :) I think I could manage that challenge ;)

Andrew L - great post and good luck with it all. Very inspiring. I'm not sure how many places I'm after however it is definitely more than 10 unencumbered. This would cover me comfortably plus be able to provide for other members of my family. But once at 10, why stop there?? Although at the moment what we have is small; the searching and doing the deal is certainly addictive!!

The only thing to fear is fear itself

Andrew congratulations for setting goals and achieving them. You are in a select group of people who no matter what happens remains focused and having your partner on board is just the cream on top. I would love to have 50+ properties and yes it would be a fulltime business.

I think generational wealth is alot of what we are aiming for given the amount of time we all spend going to meetings, courses or the amount of time we spend surfing somersoft.

I own 3 IPs with about $300k equity so I am just starting out. Like all businesses it is about getting the economics and system nailed before success will arrive at your door. Persistence, determination and common sense.

Goodluck, keep us somersoft surfers updated will your progress.

Cheers,

Clayton:)

Well, this appeals to me......50+ IP's.

I love property investing, I love the seeking high, seeking low....you can't hide, I'm in the know.

I am sure we would probably diversify a little though, chuck some commercial in and bit of business to help with cashflow, maybe some storage, little bit of car washing.

We've only sort of just begun...got 6, about to commence build 7, and have 11 blocks of good building land to tinker with. That should keep me out of mischief for a little while.

I am thinking, and I'm not that sure, but compounding growth in 7 IP's is going to be better than 1 or 2 right? Meaning, the ticking over of return and growth should snowball a bit? And keep in mind I tend to buy and build pretty well. BUY WELL a friend said. So, buy well, growth, equity, sweet returns, razzy cashflow and some diversity. Did I forget anything?

I certainly hope to keep investing indefinitely, Mr OO just does what he fancies anyway, if he wants to involve himself in property he does, if he wants to chase other pursuits he does. He has choices, as I do:

And I cant get it out of my head,
No, I cant get it out of my head.
Now my old world is gone for dead
cos I cant get it out of my head, no no.

Bank job in the city.
Robin hood and william tell and ivanhoe and lancelot, they dont envy me.
Sitting till the sun goes down,
In dreams the world keep going round and round

Good for you Andrew, up and away, sounds like fun to me.:)

Luck is a by product of concerted effort in your chosen endeavours.

So if success has nothing to do with luck: Why are you here? Clearly your skills are such that you should be swanning around the Greek Isles in a motor cruiser. You're not?

If luck has nothing to do with it, imagine how many Black Africans (those who have not had the "good fortune" to be transported to the Americas) must be doing just that. "None" do I hear you say?

I said it years ago on this forum that I believe that I have already won the Lotto. I was born white in the best country at the best time possible. Skill had nothing to do with that beyond the first hurdle in evolution: My tadpole father swam fastest!!!!

ALL you guys have the same luck running for you. Climb down off your high horse, put your feet on the ground and accept with due humility that you are among the absolute most fortunate. Appreciate what you have and give a little to others without your luck.

So if success has nothing to do with luck: Why are you here? Clearly your skills are such that you should be swanning around the Greek Isles in a motor cruiser. You're not?

If luck has nothing to do with it, imagine how many Black Africans (those who have not had the "good fortune" to be transported to the Americas) must be doing just that. "None" do I hear you say?

I said it years ago on this forum that I believe that I have already won the Lotto. I was born white in the best country at the best time possible. Skill had nothing to do with that beyond the first hurdle in evolution: My tadpole father swam fastest!!!!

ALL you guys have the same luck running for you. Climb down off your high horse, put your feet on the ground and accept with due humility that you are among the absolute most fortunate. Appreciate what you have and give a little to others without your luck.

I'm not refering to us compared to poor starving kids in Africa Sunfish, that's something only God has any control over, not us. :rolleyes:

Luck has nothing to do with coming here wanting to learn. I'm hoping to make some extra income off covered calls which I have read about on this site, who knows if it'll work for me. If it turns out I become successful at it and make myself another good side income from it - was that luck?

I'm referring to the fact that you can't have good luck if you never do anything in the first place. You can't 'luck' your way into 50 properties, you have to make concerted efforts over years with plenty of good decisions. As you take this path, you may find a bit of luck comes your way for example the block I wanted to buy next to my development block coming up for sale. Luck? To a degree, but if I had just sat on my a$$ the previous 10yrs, would it have mattered if that house had come up for sale? No.

So the little victim standing at the bar listening to someone talking about their good fortune to a friend can console themselves by saying "oh well, he must have a had a lot of good luck" - but to me it's a load of crap. It's an easy copout to make themselves feel better.

So if success has nothing to do with luck
In fairness, steveadl didn't say luck had nothing to do with it. I suspect he feels the same as you: luck is essential but not sufficient for success. It's an ingredient, but so is effort (admittedly to wildly varying degrees).

With regards to being fortunate and having humility, I agree with you that many Aussies have no idea just how blessed they are.

[RANT]I'm sure it influences my position about organic vs conventional food (and alternative medicine, and midwifery vs obstetrics). Man, if we have enough fresh food to eat, we're doing better than half the planet already. To me, insisting on having that food grown in a field trampled only by hippies, gently shooing the insects away rather than killing them, and then transporting it to the local organic food cooperative by bicycle to save the planet, is being more than a bit precious, when so many on the planet couldn't buy a fresh vegetable of any kind. Be grateful to have so much delicious, healthy food available, rather than focus on the fact that it's not perfect!

Many Aussies seem to be rejecting conventional produce, conventional medicine, birth in hospitals with doctors around, and many other practises that have become standard in the West. I don't argue that any of these practises are perfect, but it seems to me that every one of these has saved thousands/millions of lives and enormously enhanced our wellbeing and longevity. So to display hostility and contempt towards "the system" that has made our lives so abundant - as so many advocates of organic produce, alternative medicine, and home birthing seem to do - smacks of the height of ingratitude, and a sense of entitlement that I find breath-taking.

I know that just because things are so terrible somewhere else, doesn't mean that we shouldn't fight for improvements in our own system. I just get annoyed when advocates of change catastrophise about the current situation, and lose all perspective.

[/RANT]

Hi Sunfish,

I enjoy reading your posts and appreciate your viewpoints. I suspect that when you refered to having won the Lotto as you were, amongst other things born white, that you are not a 'white supremist' but making a point that as an Australian you have many privelleges that people in other countries do not enjoy. Could you clarify your thoughts?

Regards Jason.

Nice rant Trace :D saw an interview the other day with the director of 'Food Inc' and the whole time thought to myself that the theory of totally organic food is nice, but just not practical anymore when we're going to have 10 billion plus mouths to feed.

Doing the Things You Love...Loving The Things You Do..

...and, for me; "I love the things I do, and I happen to do the things I love"....*most of the time. Always have, and always will. I have created that. I am that person I choose to be, doing as I wish.

*Naturally allowing for challenges and less pleasant things. But that is kind of covered in Player's Be Strong, responding/reacting.

Nice story handyandy. Inspirational in fact. Many many different paths to get to the destination. Your choice of paths has been successful obviously. Well done.

No doubt, a moderator will be along any minute and pepper you with 27 questions about how it's a great story and all, but not much chop for the folks reading it, cos you haven't detailed exactly how you did it ?? Hopefully they won't.

It would however, be a privilege to sit down with you and your sons and have a more detailed chat, cos what you have done would probably be in the top 0.001% of all Australians. Once again, well done.

Yes indeed, nice story handyandy.

Perhaps you could answer these questions in a new thread called "my way" when you get the time.

1) How did you get involved in property?
2) What is your property investment philosophy (CF, CG, renos, houses, flats, buy and hold, develop, flip, wrap, etc)?
3) What is your IP / property story so far?
4) Is there a story of a really good IP that you would be prepared to share with us?
5) Is there a story of a really bad (or not so good) IP that you would be prepared to share with us?
6) Do you invest in other asset classes (shares, commodities, businesses, managed funds, cash, forex, etc)?
7) What criteria do you use when selecting a property to purchase?
8) What structure do you use for your investing?
9) If a budding property investor asked "what are the top 5 things I should do", you would say?
10) And if that same budding investor asked "what 5 things should I avoid", you would say?
11) What do you prefer, fixed or floating interest rates and why?
12) Do you consider having a team of professionals/advisers (eg: property managers, accountants etc) important to your investing?
13) You have a very healthy portfolio. Are you now at that stage where you feel you have acquired enough in life to be comfortable or are you still actively buying?
14) Do you prefer Vegemite or Bonox?

Nice story handyandy. Inspirational in fact. Many many different paths to get to the destination. Your choice of paths has been successful obviously. Well done.

No doubt, a moderator will be along any minute and pepper you with 27 questions about how it's a great story and all, but not much chop for the folks reading it, cos you haven't detailed exactly how you did it ?? Hopefully they won't.

It would however, be a privilege to sit down with you and your sons and have a more detailed chat, cos what you have done would probably be in the top 0.001% of all Australians. Once again, well done.

I suspect ...... that you are not a 'white supremist'

No Jason, I'm not. At least I don't think I am. But I would not have such a benign outlook on life were I born black, six decades go, even if born in Australia. I'm trying to state a fact, not make a statement about race.

To expand on my first post, if you take personal credit for everything good that happens to you, you must also shoulder the blame when bad things happen and that could play terrible tricks on your mind.

No Jason, I'm not. At least I don't think I am. But I would not have such a benign outlook on life were I born black, six decades go, even if born in Australia. I'm trying to state a fact, not make a statement about race.

Yes, this makes perfect sense and is exactly what I thought you meant. Thanks for the clarification.

All of us live in a country full of opportunity. Our freedom and ability to take advantage of the many opportunities around us has occured, not by accident, but by the efforts of those who have gone before us. Eg. Those people who have defended our freedom in the 1st and 2nd World Wars, and Vietnam.

Regards Jason.

Just done paying nearly 10k worth of Water Corp Rates havent even started on the council rates yet and this is in one state! Yeah would love to own 50 IPs but can we make them all commercials please so I don't have to tend to all this shi*. But then again, looks like I have enough FF points to do another return trip to Europe with the fam.

Back