Why Airless Spray gun for painting?

Hi All,
I have been reading around the forum on painting tips. Most people are recommending an airless spray gun for fast interior painting. I have used spray guns before but never an airless spray gun. I was wondering why the airless spray gun as apposed to one connected to a compressor is most commonly recommended?

The other thing is that I called up Coates Hire and asked them if they hire out the airless spray guns and the guy said that they don’t as they get damaged too easy. He also mentioned that no one hires them out anymore ( I have not checked this yet). I still organised a quote on a compressor at about $45 per day.

Any comments?

thanks,

Panda,

Airless is more precise, pneumatic sends paint every where. To hire try phoning the commercial/wholesale paint supplies in your local area.

Airless

Just buy one, they're not that dear. I painted an entire exterior of a house on the Gold Coast years ago with one, and part of the inside, piece of cake, saved me weeks of time and effort.
Jim

I looked into the cost as well. For me, as an amateur, I figured that the cost would have been almost worth me hiring a professional to do the same job- especially after all the taping and covering required.

The extra time I spent painting by hand saved a lot of work and expense.

But I did not have a huge area to paint.

I see what you mean Geoffw. However, I was just reading on this forum

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/

(interesting forum) about the "Wagner airless electrical spray gun". Many have commented that this is a very good spray gun and it seems really cheap about $200 - $300 from Bunnings (although the post was pretty old).

Thanks for that Panda

The areas I've had to do indoors have been not that big (one BR units- though six of them, one at a time, over the last 12 months).

The info on that forum is good.

Bunnings was mentioned- it was the guy at Bunnings who recommended that I did not spray. I assume that spraying is good for large areas where you can cover up unpainted areas very well.

For me, the extra cost of equipment, plus my lack of experience, and a small space to cover, makes it not worth while me acquiring that particular knowledge. I make enough mistakes with a paint brush (where mistakes don't leave a big mark) to know that I cannot probably spray very well.

I'd be interested to know how you go Panda. I would like to be proved wrong!

Panda
I have used an airless spray gun for my house and I loved it. I bought a Wagners and haven't looked back - especially for painting lattice. It takes a bit of practice so you don't leave drip marks and to get the consistency right because you have to water the paint down. Have a practice on an old board or an area that is not prominent.

Remember to wear hearing protection because they are loud and a dust mask and eye protection because of the droplets in the air. Be aware of over spray - apart from that I think they are wonderful. If I can do it anyone can.

I bought mine from a wholesale paint shop and it was cheaper than Bunnings and I was supporting a local business. Ring around the prices do differ.

Good luck.
Cheers
Ecogirl

From my understanding (And I reserve the right to be totally incorrect!)

The Bunnings Wagner one is a little one that required paint thinning (consistency issues), and has a smallish container for paint. This also means you have to hold the combined weight of both.

A proper airless spray gun has an attachment you drop into the paint tin, a long lead and a gun.

From memory, when you find a shop who will hire one, it's around $140-180 per day.

Renno Kings swear by them.

Havent used one yet.

Have used a compressor based one, and the overspray / mist wastes too much paint, not to meation where it lands (on everything!)

Good luck

Simon.

I just called the Bunning’s store near me and they have the following two Wagner guns in stock,

- 140p = $109
- 180p = $149

This does not included an extension piece that I will need to reach ceilings.

Panda,
I have used the the airless wagners many times,if you do all your
prep work,prior to hire then then a normal size house can be repainted
external and internal in a days work,just be carefull with the h/p spray
guns the power jet on the spray gun can cause serious damage to your skin
or hands,eyes..
good luck
willair..

I recently had a thread on CRC on windows before painting.

]Well ,couldn,t work out why one would do this,[neither could anyone else] oh and it wasnt before you painted the window frames either.

It was a method used prior to using an airless spray gun which l only just found out.

So l reckon there must be a fair bit of over spray and the air must fill with the droplets.

l quess practise will make perfect. but as a beginner try it out in the back shed first.{clean up sounds like a nightmare if all doesnt go to plan]

cheers yadreamin

yadreamin said:
l quess practise will make perfect. but as a beginner try it out in the back shed first.{clean up sounds like a nightmare if all doesnt go to plan]

cheers yadreamin
Eeeeeasy! If it doesn't work smash it and claim it on insurance!

T

Thommo said:
Eeeeeasy! If it doesn't work smash it and claim it on insurance!
The voice of experience :D

(Though what about the excess and loss of no claim. Wouldn't that make it less than economic?)

geoffw said:
The voice of experience :D

(Though what about the excess and loss of no claim. Wouldn't that make it less than economic?)
What are you? Some sort of accountant? I'm married to one of them. :(

Thommo said:
What are you? Some sort of accountant? I'm married to one of them. :(
I'm in IT.

But I've been talking with accountants in this forum for a few years.

We'd better get this thread back onto spray painting though :D

Hi

I seem to recall that the Reno Kings stated that the pressure was quite high and that they reduced the pressure quite considerably. Maybe down to a third. Consider checking with them.

Ross

Spray Painting - A life saver

I would have to say I am a great believer in the use of spray units.
I was dreading the exterior paint work ahead of me on our current renovation which involved -
1. Painting a roof.
2. Painting the exterior walls of a 3 bedroom house incl u/s of eaves -corrugated roof and exposed wooden beams.( Just a nightmare by hand)
Having completed the inside walls, ceilings , window frames by hand and roller I really appreciated what was involved.
Along came a friend who just happened to be a painter and what do you know -
1. Roof was painted in an hour + 1 hour for clean up.
2. Walls and eaves etc were completed in 6 hours....2 coats with me following behind to tidy up with a roller and brush.
Admittedly, preparation was the key...Mask the windows and anything else you dont want painted with loads of newspaper and tape and make sure that the wind is not blowing as paint will travel a long way . Some neighbours could be a little concerned if their house/car windows look a little blotchy after the job.
The unit used was an industrial spray which could be dropped into a 20 litre tin with extension hoses so you can access a large area.The operator only holds the gun.Unit cost was approx $2000 2nd hand. It paid for itself in its first job I believe in the time it saved.
The overall finish looks good and I am one happy chappy...and on the lookout for a spray unit so I'm prepared for the next one!
Just wish he came round when I was painting the inside!!
Cheers.

Back