Why are people automatically banned when registering from outside Australia?

Why are people automatically banned when registering from outside Australia? I've put a few friends and acquaintances from the Asia region onto this board but all them say they're automatically banned once they register. Why is it so?

Spambots and meat-spammers (aka humans paid to post spam on forums and blogs).

Our automated anti-spammer system blocks anything it considers suspicous, including registrations from certain countries from which we have had the majority of our spammer registrations.

If a legitimate users is inadvertantly caught by the system, they usually contact us and once we've verified that they are legitimate, we'll approve their account.

FYI - they are not automatically banned - they are put into a "moderation" queue for manual approval. The problem is that we can't distinguish between spammers and non-spammers in the queue, so we wait for the user to contact us so we can approve their account.

It is unfortunate we have to do this and I regret the inconvenience it causes to legitimate members - but that's what we are forced to do to keep the forum as spam-free as possible.

FYI - they are not automatically banned - they are put into a "moderation" queue for manual approval. The problem is that we can't distinguish between spammers and non-spammers in the queue, so we wait for the user to contact us so we can approve their account.

Ok hopefully you'll lift the ban on this person after they emailed you.
I got this email from a friend yesterday:

I just tried to login in to somersoft forum and got this message:

You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never

!!! I sent an email to the administrator but i don't know what the hell has happened. I only just joined as a member recently and haven't even logged in yet!

Ok hopefully you'll lift the ban on this person after they emailed you.
I got this email from a friend yesterday:

I'll look into that - sometimes people get banned pre-emptively by the admin team if their profile looks overly suspicious.

It can be fixed.

Back