Why are there so many 405sqm properties in SE Brisbane?

I'm looking in Runcorn, and I regularly see properties that are 405sqm in size. I don't know if this is more common outside Runcorn. And they don't all stem from the same development either, I've seen them all over the suburb, e.g.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-runcorn-119721423

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-runcorn-119390083

I've found freshly sub-divided land, I've found 10 year old houses, I've found 50 year old houses. 405 seems to be so common.

Is there some significance to this number? Is there some rule that requires properties to be no smaller than that? It seems like such an arbitrary number!

Lots of properties are 810sqm. A lot of them are on two lots, meaning that if you move the existing house across the block (or remove it in most cases), you have two blocks of land that can be subdivided straight down the middle. Minimum lot size is 400sq.

Across the older suburbs of Queensland, rectangular plots of 16 (405m2), 24 (607m2) and 32 perch (809m2) were quite common. 40 perch (1012m2) isn't too uncommon either. Quite a lot of the 32 perch properties consist of a single dwelling sitting across two 16 perch lots.

So I asked WTF is a perch......Ask Wiki.

As a unit of area, a square perch is equal to a square rod, 30 1⁄4 square yards (25.29 square metres) or 0.00625 acres, or 1/160 acre. There are 40 square perches to a rood (A rectangular area with edges of one furlong (10 chains i.e. 40 rods) and one rod respectively), and 160 square perches to an acre (an area one furlong by one chain (i.e. 4 rods)). This unit is usually referred to as a perch or pole even though square perch and square pole were the more precise terms. Confusingly, rod was used as a unit of area but it meant a rood.

Perches were informally used as a measure in Queensland real estate until the early 21st century, mostly for historical gazetted properties in older suburbs.

Clear as mud. Must have been be way too hard for a Queenslander.

Wait to you start reading the old survey plans and they are measured in links and chains.

So the old 16 perch blocks are 50 links wide (10.058m) and 200 links long (40.2336m). I am not even sure if there are more decimal places then that and that makes up the 405m2 or they round the up to make 405

So I asked WTF is a perch......Ask Wiki.

As a unit of area, a square perch is equal to a square rod, 30 1⁄4 square yards (25.29 square metres) or 0.00625 acres, or 1/160 acre. There are 40 square perches to a rood (A rectangular area with edges of one furlong (10 chains i.e. 40 rods) and one rod respectively), and 160 square perches to an acre (an area one furlong by one chain (i.e. 4 rods)). This unit is usually referred to as a perch or pole even though square perch and square pole were the more precise terms. Confusingly, rod was used as a unit of area but it meant a rood.

Perches were informally used as a measure in Queensland real estate until the early 21st century, mostly for historical gazetted properties in older suburbs.

Clear as mud. Must have been be way too hard for a Queenslander.

Back