Why are you a member of this forum?

Thefirstbruce.

BHP is my biggest holding, and the most I've paid is $13 a share. Most a lot lower. I am considering buying more. BHP looks certain to get WMR, and there will be great sinergies with the two. Uranium is BHP's only shortfall, and to get 38% of the worlds uranium sounds a good deal to me.

I'm happy to hold a big percentage of my portfolio in big cap stocks, like BHP. I like to hold smaller amounts of the smaller companys, even though they have much higher upside potential. I'm in no hurry to get out of coal. The market is starting to realise that oil will never be cheap again, so energy will always be valuable from now on. Coking coal is a license to print money at the moment. I've got MCC, CEY, and GCL, in the coal small caps.

I'm just not into precious metals. If I thought the market was topping out, I would rather go to cash, rather than buy precious metals. That's just me. I don't understand the attraction of gold.

Overall, I think people are realising that this resource boom is the real thing, not just some blip, and share prices are moving to show the real values.

See ya's.

I am member of this forum because the fantastic amount of information and knowledge that is available in there.

I only discovered this forum one year ago. I wish I had found out about it much earlier!

I contribute whenever I can, although my knowledge is far below the level of many people on this forum.

I also find this forum a great community of linked minded people sharing ideas. Something that wouldn't be possible without the internet.

Cheers,

topcropper said:
BHP is my biggest holding, and the most I've paid is $13 a share. Most a lot lower. I am considering buying more. BHP looks certain to get WMR, and there will be great sinergies with the two. Uranium is BHP's only shortfall, and to get 38% of the worlds uranium sounds a good deal to me.

i havent been following this particulalry closely, but why do you think RIO wont put in a bid? the buyback? i agree that BHP is in a good position, especially if they put up part scrip.

as for why im a member, the easiest way to learn new things is to hang out with people who know more about it than yourself, and listen to what they say :)

I know we're getting a bit off topic but anyway ....

I'd love to see a share investment section in Somersoft discussing different companies and techniques etc.

Is there some legal reason this can't be done?

Cheers :cool:

Pete W.

Rio announced a 300-400 million dollar share buyback on Friday, so it's almost certain.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Sultan of Swing said:
I'd love to see a share investment section in Somersoft discussing different companies and techniques etc.

Is there some legal reason this can't be done?

Not really - other than having to be more careful about how we approach things - which would mean more work for us.

Jan and Ian decided a while back that they wanted this forum dedicated to property investment - hence no shares.

Steve Navra said:
I have spent the day considering the question posed in this thread.

My answer will be presented in three posts, which I will submit starting with:

1)[font=&quot] [/font]Why are you a member of this forum:

I think it is important to disclose what might be viewed as vested interests.

Followed by:

2)[font=&quot] [/font]What is DCT:

This will be a short (Not a book) description of what Dollar Cost Trading is and how it works.

3)[font=&quot] [/font]Suggested protocol for forum members.

Perhaps if forum members followed a guideline of what is acceptable / unacceptable practice, we might then avoid unpleasant situations.

Why am I a member of this forum:

First up I wish to disclose that I own various businesses that are involved with property, equities and planning.

Two of these businesses are:

Navra Financial Services - a Financial Planning business:

In order to be legally able to give advice to clients, one needs to have a Financial Planning license. NFS is one of the VERY few financial planning groups that will give direct advice about, and INCLUDE PROPERTY as a suggested medium of investment.

Navrainvest LTD:

Is a Funds Management business that offers clients the opportunity to invest in shares.

Formed at the request and behest of NFS clients so that we all have a safe and valid medium in which to invest in shares. This business is half owned by myself and my clients. (Many of who are forum members)

My reasons for being a member are as follows:

• I regard this forum as being the premier source of property investment knowledge in Australia. The information contained within the forum is superior to most all investment books I have read. I personally have learned heaps from this forum, and the most impressive thing about this resource is that it is interactive . . . meaning you can ask a question and almost immediately obtain your answer.
  • One of my prime reasons for running the planning business is that it is my means of offering FREE EDUCATION about a subject that has been my life and passion since I was 16 years old. Contrary to some forum members’ belief, NFS is not a big profit generating business. In fact it runs at a financial loss each year! You might ask “Why I would operate a business at a loss?” The answer is simply that I hope each year that it will break even :rolleyes:; but in essence, I am fully financially independent with all the income required being generated from my investment assets. (I have been living off equity for many years now) I run the planning business as a ‘retirement hobby’. I love running the educational Structure Courses and this is the legal and compliant method to do this.
  • I DO NOT use this forum as an advertisement for the planning business.
The planning business has in excess of 1,500 clients and all new business is self generated by referral from these satisfied clients.

• I offer free educational knowledge to forum members via some of the articles I post, as well as giving FREE EVENING talks to any of this FORUM’s investor groups, whenever they have asked me to do so. (SIG, BIG, MIG . . . have been to Perth and Adelaide by request from forum members there too) The knowledge I share freely on the forum, together with the talks to Forum groups means that it is NOT NECESSARY for forum members to attend my formal Structure Courses. (Which would cost them $176 per person) Most forum members are self-doers; they read investment books and articles, source their own assets etc. Yes some forum members have attended my courses and most of these who have attended have enlisted our help with their planning, but I wish to emphasize that LESS than 10% of course attendees come from the forum. (So suggestions of me generating huge profit from the forum is not true, nor is it the reason why I contribute to the forum.

• I DO USE THE FORUM:
The structure I advocate to my clients is of an ADVANCED STRUCTURE nature. Many clients come to me for help and they are very far from advanced or sophisticated investors. I therefore use this forum as a basic educational tool by suggesting to this level of client investor that they acquire the Jan Somers books (Rich Dad, Poor Dad also) and that they READ THIS FORUM. This forms their basic financial education; and they can learn and gain value in an interactive way.

This helps me as I do not have the time (or inclination) to offer “basic” educational courses. I have tried to help many people (Forum members) to get started, so that they could run ‘Basic Structure Courses’, but the compliance and licensing requirements rendered it too expensive and too difficult to do.

Thus, I USE the forum as a “basic educational tool” for all people who might be interested in investing.

I hope this full disclosure goes some way to satisfying other members about what my self interest and credible reason is for my participation.

I encourage other members to post why they choose to be members of this forum.

Regards,

Steve

Why am I a member of this forum:
Simple - its the best property forum in Australia.
And I love property investing.
I joined this forum after initially just checking it out - then being reminded about it one night at work by Micheal Gruber. Interestingly enough at the same time I had just set up a HDT through Dale (after seeing him at a ninemsn property forum presentation in Sydney).
The knowledge here is amazing , and I continue to learn. I also try to give back where I can!!
I also use the services of some of the people here - Dale , Rolf and Steve Navra. The best thing is knowing that these people have investments themselves and truly know what they are doing.
I have also built up friendships with a few people on the forum, and consider myself fortunate to have found a place where I can talk with like-minded people without getting any derision (that you might get from some family or "friends" or others).

I am a member of this forum because when I came here it damn well asked me if I was a member (well I think it did or it could have been the other voices) and I just had to do it.

..you can checkout anytime you want but you can never leave

Why am I a member of this forum.

My favourite pasttime is making more friends and when I get to learn and pass on my own experience to assit others at the same time why would I miss the opportunity.

Do I gain any benefit - you bet. I thought I knew it all about how investors looked at property until I became part of Somersoft. Now I understand investors expectations better, I'm ahead of my competitors in trends and market knowledge plus I know how to make a property appeal to an investor. For that I thank everyone here.

I have made 1 or 2 sales and listed a couple of managements in my couple of years here, hardly a massive return for the hours I have spent here but friendships I have made by the dozens and that's a gift I wouldn't be without. I recently met Geoff when he was here in Brisbane which was a goal of mine and there are still more I look forward to enjoying a drink with in the future. People like Asy & JoannaK have become great close friends whilst others, Acey, JimmyJJ, Brenda & Les and lots more who I have met and have been so supportive to me when my posts create a stir.

Somersoft can provide access to people from so many vast support networks plus attract incredible people like Steve, Peter Spann, Ian Somers, Geoff Doidge and the list goes on. Who wouldn't want to be a part of it.

As my kids would say....Somersoft Rulz :D

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Why a member (in no particular order):

1) to learn more from others about investing (and even after a couple of years there's plenty to learn.

2) To meet and interact with likeminded people (investors). I estimate that I've met with at least 100 people from the forum & spoke on the phone to another 50 or so.

3) To follow investment sentiments. I do pay attention to the 'Somersoft Leading Indicator'. If a number of people on the forum are starting to be active in an area of investing you can be sure that the masses & media will be trailing behind somewhere.

4) To give back to the investing community. I've been educated, supported and helped by many people directly or indirectly via Somersoft & 'paying it forward' is important. You get more if you give more (plus the teacher often learns more than the student). BTW this includes opening people eyes to other investments & a couple of businesses I've set up I've invited Somersoft people (amongst others) to be involved.

5) To have fun! It doesn't have to be a serious discussion all the time.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Why I Joined the Forum?

I have only just joined, and I thought after 10 years in property investing (in a very minor way) I was doing OK.

But - I find this forum a great source of motivation. From the conservative to the extreme - there is a lot to learn! :confused:

TC, I have messaged you privately re stocks...

Sim, you mentioned that the Somers wanted to keep this forum property focused. But don't you think there is a case that timing the buying of property is heavily influenced by other investment opportunities? I know this issue has been discussed in the past, but maybe an evolved position can relax previous stances.

To me, the greatest sign of intelligence is adaptation to favour survival- biological, social, and economic.

Further, hypothetically, if investment property remains a poor comparative investment, for several years, will current members of this forum hang around if they can't talk about other investment opportunities?

And, isn't it part of a smarter investment strategy to be diversified?

Finally, there is a lot of talk about property and stocks here, and progressively more about good business ideas. I think it willl only serve Australia better to have more of us throwing of our investment dollars into smart efficient business.

Thought I was doing OK by myself untill the reality check came! More an observer than an active participant.

I am a member because:-

1. I want to learn how to invest my "earned money" for long term income and and wealth to pass on to my children.

2. I believe property investment is a superior investment vehicle - if the foundations and ongoing investment strategy is managed according to the economic climate.

3. I can learn from the investment habits of others.

4. I do not trust that the state, employers and pensions will protect my personal interest's if the economy goes tits up.

5. I believe agents with vested interests in the estate industry and related financial industry, banks, plus individual investment guru's who make $$'s by encouraging others to buy in an overinflated bull market will not be around too long. The forum info. tends to be two steps ahead of the sharks.

On the matter of protocol :-
Carrying the message is not the same as carrying people. There are always going to be negative trolls who put down because they cannot get up.

I'm a member for the support, for the knowledge, for the education and to pay some back of what I've learned and been inspired to do. From the OS postings of lawsjs to the trust education from DaleGG, friendships with sundry members and even the Somersoft pub crawl (I still have the T-Shirt).

I like listening to the experts whether or not I currently agree with them and although I'm certainly not the last word in investing, I like to think my 2c worth sets off the occasional light bulb for others.

For me, the most important forum is investor psychology - it helps me keep focused and 'on message'.

Thanks to Jan and Ian for the site and the moderators for the effort. To the contributors, especially those who in contributing are simultaneously sticking their necks out BECAUSE they have vested interests which are therefore vulnerable, your courage and contributions are appreciated. In recent times this has included Steve Navra, Peter Spann, Michael Yardney and our new addition Sailesh.

To the trolls, whingers and whiners, I'm laughing at you, not with you.

Reactions: Muz
G'day All

Why am I a member of this forum?

To learn more about property investing.
When I joined I didn't know very much about investing in property, what structures to use, why to use them, how to source cash, how the banks worked, tax breaks, depreciation, CGT, etc.

I've learnt a hell of a lot about property from those who have been there done that.

In the past I had put money into shares and spent time learning about the ASX, that was time well spent.

Currently I'm getting motivation from the forum, I'm learning how to broaden my scope and view investing as a big picture not as buy residential property. I enjoy the coffee lounge, it's great to be able to talk about other subjects that concern me or are of interest to me. This forum makes it easy to interact with like minded people. It's a bit difficult to find this many people to talk too at the pub and have a good discussion.

I guess now that I'm a little bit more knowledgable I'm looking forward to putting back into the forum, helping others and sharing my experience.

Cheers
quoll

Life does take interesting turns........I haven't logged onto here for a couple of months since my life got really hectic with work etc.

I logged on this morning cos I got a PM from a lovely lady and I thought I'd check out the posts....this is the first one I came across and it has reaffirmed why I spent so much time here in the first place - and I have missed it.

Why do I come here, well that's easy......

- If you want to soar with the eagles you don't scratch around with the turkeys (that's my version anyway).......
- I always get a good laugh
- I have made great friends here
- The only place where I get to talk to like minded ppl
- Ppl challenge my ideas and the status quo - which leads to bigger and better ways of thinking

I love this place and it's great to be back!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Ecogirl

Hi Guys,

My reasons for being here are quite simple really :)

1. Enjoyment ,fun and entertainment

2. Escapism

3. Like Minded People

4. Contacts for Business Affairs

Mrs Bird :)

Back