Why are you a member of this forum?

I have come here as I want to learn more about investing (and am doing so). I just can't believe how much information is on this forum. I never had even heard about trusts before I came here! Now I have met a wide variety of people here who are helping me on my way. Namely GeoffW, Acey and Jas, Savannah and of course Steve Navra. Kudos to you all! You're all excellent people!

The reasons I am here are many. I have been around this forum for a long time now. I found it when on the brink of a financial disaster due to a failed business & it gave me the motivation to plug away. I have grown a lot due to being a part of this forum.

For the first few years I was a lurker, reading religiously every post. These days I post when I get the time, but the amount of traffic now makes it harder. I also find that now I pick & choose which posts to read, not because I'm not interested in a particular topic, but mainly because of the time element to get through all the information.

You could say I have a vested interest in being a part of the forum. I consider that the success I have had is due probably 90% to the motivation I get by being around the like minded people that are here. I can't discuss property with friends or family as they don't understand it & think that I am either big noting myself so I no longer bother.

Even though I am 100% a property investor, that is I have NO shares at all (except the small parcel given out by NRMA a few years ago) I think a section should be devoted to shares. I would like to learn a bit about the sharemarket as I am not confident to invest in shares. They seem to be so confusing to the uneducated. I don't think I would ever want to put a lot of money into the sharemarket, but a working knowledge would be great.

I think there must be a few people would appreciate some share knowledge, & you could probably put some requirement into place to make it a very basic shares topic (you wouldn't want too much, as it is a property forum afterall). My feeling is that I would be interested enough to talk about shares on here, but not interested in going to a shares forum where all you would hear about is (of course) shares.

Why indeed? My answer would be Why not?! I'd be crazy to avoid a forum as wonderful and as helpful as this one, jam packed with resources, great people and amazing stories.
I also enjoy getting together with various forum members at both our SIG and SSG nights- it's so refreshing to chat with those that share the same passions and interests :)
I also happen to be addicted to it (aren't we all at times?!) and just have to know what's happening, even when I'm not actively investing.
I've also been fortunate enough to have made some pretty cool friends on this forum as well and cherish these relationships :)
Hopefully I've been able to give something back to those with less experience. However, I find that the learning is an ongoing process and it's great to know that, whenever I seek help, it's out there!!!
Steve, thanks for your wisdom and assistance on this forum- you've been a fantastic resource as well as a generous and genuine friend :)
Rock on Somersoft!!!!!

Learn

Someone once said "Smart people (investors) employ smarter people".

I employ this forum to learn from people smarter then me.

Thx
V

Why I Joined the Forum?

1 ) TO LEARN
I cannot believe the amount of knowledge contained within this site. There are so many experienced people here willing to share knowledge it's addictive !

2 ) TO SHARE
Either ideas, thoughts, scenarios or oppurtunities. I can't believe how many people have been in the same scenario before.

3) TO MIX WITH LIKE MINDED PEOPLE
Some of our friends think they know it all ! Always trying to give free advise about the hottest property/ stock or latest get rich scheme. Each day however I realize how much they DON'T KNOW. I much prefer to talk to people like Steve Navra, AceyDucey, GeoffW, etc... who TAKE ACTION, LEARN and are willing to SHARE.

4 ) HAVE A LAUGH.
I really enjoy the humour from some of the forum members. I will not mention any names.

Why? To be the best I can.

By teaching you will learn, by learning you will teach. As Jeff Fenech said, "Love youse all". :)

So many have already said it. One that appeals to me is "You learn so much more by being a teacher" - reckon I found this out in the forum's REAL early days. With 6 of us on the forum, and nobody answering new queries, and me having just bought my first two IP's, I was pumped. and just talking to anyone....

Then, I'd have a go at answering their questions, and, in the process, learnt so much for myself. I did a lot of reading, so I guess I was "book learned" at least.... Fortunately, others rocked up (with MUCH more experience) to teach us all. My thanks (in no particular order) to The Wife, Geoff Doidge, AndrewG, GeeCee, Will, and so many others that I've forgotten.

Then we got together at Philips Foote in Sydney and put faces to the names.... And, yeah, then the pub crawl - I was there too, Quiggles......

More recently, though, we have gained hundreds of top contributors. I stick around to pick up the gems that most of them just drop around the place for me......

Along with the learning, let's keep that sense of humour going too. And the "meetings" here and there - it's all invaluable - to be able to share, to question, to inspire, to be inspired, to just appreciate all those others who UNDERSTAND is fantastic !!!

Stick around, all - and thanks,

Regards,

Why am I a member of this forum? Because I need to have fellowship with likeminded property investment people. I need lots of points of view different to my own. Most of all, so I don't feel like the only investor around. It's a 'herd' thing, and the forum is my treatment. No cure unfortunately, it is an addiction. :D

Les said:
"You learn so much more by being a teacher" - reckon I found this out in the forum's REAL early days. With 6 of us on the forum, and nobody answering new queries, and me having just bought my first two IP's, I was pumped. and just talking to anyone...
Les,

In your case, the question to ask is

"What stroke of genius gave you the idea for starting a forum... and then suggesting it to someone who could bring it off?"

the reason why I kept reading as a lurker was a post of Aceys one day whilst net surfing.

at the hieght of the boom with the endless vistas of houses just waiting to be bought because it was a sure thing to mega wealth he posted

Are you a property INVESTOR or are you a PROPERTY investor?
I figured any forum offering such a well balenced rational view in such a heated environment was worth my time especially when I had just paid off my HECS and car loan and wondering where the hell to go from here.

the reason I kept reading was the views way outside my experience but within my interest (stand up Pitt ST Thommo Kristine)

it is a excellent investment vehicle forum (property) with a nod to the broader issues (investor psych et al)

it was not envisaged as a investment forum(shares + property + .........)forum so I thinK it should remain close to its base, but its a mark of the quality and comprehensiveness that shares questions are not immediately deleted and chastised.

but to really improve it where is the swimsuit/wet fireman section????

1) I get bored easy
2) Not being financially free sux wang
3) Its free advice (I am a tight azz like that)
4) Nice to see people in my own coutry kicking butt and achieving their dreams!
5) Good place to make connections and find mentors/padowans

<KS>

Does anyone here know about the Myers Brigg personality test?
Would anyone care to define a sensate and an intuitive?

For that matter, I'd be interested in what property investors are interested in outside of property. Are we all a bunch of sensates, aspiring to nothing more than a fast red car, and a fast blonde of the opposite sex?

Or is there more social conscience out there in 'what I am prepared to take from another for what I sat on for two years' land....

which raises an interesting question.....would those who realised 100% capital gains from property in the last 2 years, have been prepared to make that sale to their nephew or niece???? now there's food for thought......Brenda? Ian? Jan? Dale? Steve? Rolf? Kevin? where do you draw the line on who you are prepared to take the big CGs from???

So, let's work out the ethics of CG.... sons and daughters are excluded....siblings too....parents definitely.....how about nephews and nieces...depends on their values huh??? what about like minded friends.....????? how about friends made on Somesoft????? Gawd!!!! moral dilemma.....who do we take the big CGs from????????

Ah never mind responding, I've had two glasses of red too many...not enough to numb the paradox hey comrades!!!!

Last edited:
thefirstbruce said:
Does anyone here know about the Myers Brigg personality test?
Would anyone care to define a sensate and an intuitive?
Interesting point. I feel sure that my Myers Briggs type changed when I really took on property investing and personal responsibility. 8 years ago I came out as INTJ, which I understand dominates the public service.

No wonder I feel it no longer fits me. And no, not the other way around.

I did like:
thefirstbruce said:
Ah never mind, I've had a two glasses of red too many...
In vino veritas, old son. :D

Great post Topcropper

Agree with your observations:
1) some inverse relationships between shares and properties
2) valuation of share market through PE ratio

Postings like yours make my membership of this forum very justifiable. There are many others too like Kristine (a fount of property knowledge) and Quibbles (US investments motivation) to name a few.

There are lots of smart people, wealthy people, generous with their time and knowledge who contribute to this forum. I acknowledge my gratitude for their contributions and to the website host (Jan and Ian) for making this site freely available. Keep up the good work! :p

Back