Why Bother??

A question for the mods about this forum in general.

Why should people bother to give any opinions on 'harder' topics, when it is easily pulled without any explanation.

Could there be a section/place where reasons are given for threads being pulled, with some detail in the explanation other than "at the request of 'X'"???

My opinion is that robust discussion is what makes the forum work well, but why should I bother spending time on questions/answers if they are just easily pulled and no reason??

bye

If the thread was about a specific person or deal or something similar - a change in circumstances, or a change of heart may lead to the original poster requesting a thread (or specific posts) be removed.

One recent example was Dazz's deal where he received pressure from a business partner about a deal which was not yet complete - so not wanting to jeopardise the deal, he requested the thread be removed. I think that is completely reasonable.

There have been other similar cases where too much information was shared by the original poster and it was subsequently causing problems for them.

Threads which are of a general nature do not usually get removed in this manner. It also doesn't happen all that often!

Another situation where threads are removed is when there are potential legal issues arising from the content of the thread.

Note that we will NOT agree to requests to remove all posts by a member who no longer wants to be a part of the forum. Only on a case-by-case basis will we remove posts or threads.

Usually there is nothing further which could be added about the reason a thread was removed without actually giving specific details about the thread content - which kind of defeats the purpose of removing the thread.

Was there a specific thread you had in mind ?

Note that we will NOT agree to requests to remove all posts by a member who no longer wants to be a part of the forum.

Was there a specific thread you had in mind ?

Well for me it was all the posts by Steve Navra on LOE but i guess that shouldn't be brought up here.

I mentioned this in the 'Dazz's thread pulled' thread and its probably relevant here as well. Bill expresses annoyance at threads getting pulled.
I think people have to ask themselves, "why am i spending my precious time typing out my financial information to be published on an internet forum for the whole world to see?"
Why did i ring API and ask to be interviewed?
How does it benefit me?
Do i do it to stroke my ego?
Am i trying to impart some information so others can learn from it?
Am i bragging and looking for replies full of praise and pats on the back?

This is not a personal dig at anyone in particular, just a reminder for some to play nice and think twice before you post something that you will ask to be pulled later. It can be annoying for those who take the time & effort to reply to something to only have it pulled and disappear forever.

That is the thing. Its not so important that the info is up there but why is it up there in the first place if its is requested to be removed.

Pretty weird stuff if you ask me.

I think people have to ask themselves, "why am i spending my precious time typing out my financial information to be published on an internet forum for the whole world to see?"
Why did i ring API and ask to be interviewed?
How does it benefit me?
Do i do it to stroke my ego?
Am i trying to impart some information so others can learn from it?
Am i bragging and looking for replies full of praise and pats on the back?

I thought API was the one who called you - not you call them.
It can go either way. If they hear about you from whatever means (ie. seminars, forums (such as this), word-of-mouth etc) THEY will seek you out, repeatedly and ad nauseum I might add!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

But they will of course be graciously receptive if YOU contact them. Why wouldn't they be?? Why bust a boiler when you don't have to?? If they don't have to "chase" a story because it it falls into their lap!!! :p then it's a win-win all round; they get the story, you get the glory.

Everyone's happy!!! :)

Back