Why Buy In WA? - Come to the meeting :)

Hi KS

When are you all next catching up?

It's worth the drive for a great meal of fish and chips down there

REDWING

I would love for all us Perthites to meet up again ASAP.

I have so many ideas for my next investment I am going to pop.

I am busy pretty much every day of the year due to work etc so what I suggest is that anyone interested in doing this put down a couple of suggestions of when and where.

Once we start getting a general consensus I will move my schedule to fit :)

I am good mainly for Sundays and evenings - I just need at least a week or 2's notice.

<KS>

P.S - My house in the anchorage will be finished this November ....YAY :)

I am looking at equity gain of about $130,000 upon completion. Darn site more than I even hoped for!

P.P.S - Some topics I want to discuss at the next meeting:

1) Investing in the US...becoming tempting now I am better informed + have made some nice contacts.
2) Investing in NZ....its overseas but still back yard material which decreases the sleep at night problem.
3) Looking at commercial property
4) Looking at what is involved in developing a small block of units.
5) Talking about how to pick a good house to RENO.
6) Discuss stuff closer to home and see what areas we think are 'next'.
7) Did predictions we made 6-12 months ago come true?

<KS>

Those sound interesting points to discuss.

I'm in Perth from the 13th - 30th of October but I'm busy for the first few days (start of house hunting holiday) so any time between the 17th to the 29th would be good for me.

Hi KS

Just wondering how long it has taken to build your house at the Anchorage, who is building for you & the cost of the house. What do you estimate the value to be on completion?

We are coming across from the 'other side' last week in October to check out the blocks we are purchasing on the Anchorage & visiting WA for the first time.

Sparky

@Sparky

Builder - Dale Alcock

Duild Time Etc - Signed up in January, began Construction early April and at the moment I am up to my plastering etc. The brickie was a slack prick but the roof (colourbond) went on in 1 day!! The actual timber frame of the roof took about 4 days with all the small things included.

Land Price - $118,000, very happy with that due to my block being 570m2 which is 15-15% larger than most Anchorage blocks and it is located in a nice street opposite a park and lake.

House Build Cost - I work for Midland Brick - so I get a nice discount on all paving, windows etc. Including all carpets, paving, patio area and all I think my end cost for the house I am building (4x2 210m living space) will cost me about $138,000. Due to working in the building trade I managed to bully my builder a fair bit due to my knowledge in the industry and saved about $700 in interest payments - was fun getting the win.

Total Outlay = $256,000

Estimated Value upon completion = $385,000

This will likely increase to over the $400,000 mark 6 months later when the train line is near to completion.

----------

So how about we meet on a weekend between the 13th and the 30th of October then?

<KS>

Hi ks

Sounds as though you are doing well with your house both in terms of the builing time & the increase. Even though we are getting in a bit late & won't do as well as you it should still be a worthwhile exercise - who knows by the time our houses are built the values could be up to $450,000! Have the building times with Dale Alcock blown out as with the other builders out there?

Catching up on that last weekend in October sounds good - maybe the Friday or Saturday rather than the Sunday as we fly home on the Monday & in the event of consuming large quantities of alcohol I would prefer not to fly on a dodgy belly - actually I prefer not flying at all! Not that I am an alcoholic but after all I will be on holiday! Hopefully Kenneth from Singapore will be back from his trip too - will you Kenneth?
No doubt you will be able to round up some Perthites? What venue do you have in mind?

Sparky

can I request we narrow the dates down to between the 13th and the 29th? am off on hols on the 30th.

KS - hopefully we can catch up at long last! That build price of $138k.. does that include your carpets, blinds, a/c, dishwasher, alarm, landscaping, painting and fencing etc? it is way way cheap.

I'm free up until the 17th, but will be back in town between the 27th and 30th. Maybe we could hold a couple of get togethers if not everyone can make it on one particular day?

@Ausprop

Yeah 138k is cheap - Great isn't it? :p

Dont forget I work for Midland Brick. As a result I get 20-30% off most building materials (Bricks, Windows, Paving, Cement, Timber Floors) and I have a huge list of trade contacts. I have also been a manager for the Chandlers retail group and still have good contacts there for electrical goods.

Some of the landscaping is provided by Australand but in general I will be buying most of the landscaping blocks etc through my work.

I secured a cheap price on the house itself by signing a pre-agreement which held the price 3 weeks before I even put my deposit on the land as I knew the market was moving and on average Dale Alcock were increasing their prices every 3.5 weeks.

I signed on at $118k and then obtained about 4k in re-imbursements on items I decided to source for myself. I went with the space series with the modern finish, which while cheap gives good size rooms which I can make look flash with small and relatively cheap improvements (nice door handles etc).

Thats leaves me with about $24,000 to buy the rest of what I need to finish the house.

1) I will lay the paving with a trade friend of mine for the cost of the sand, a carton of beer and a weekends hard work. I am laying stylestone which I buy at 70% of cost, that looks miles better than your standard paving.
2) One of my best mates is a professional painter who buys his paint at about 30% of retail cost (yes paint is MASSIVELY marked up in retail stores). He will be paining my house - which he wont charge for since I saved him $600 earlier on in the year on his paving
3) I am buying Solid Timber for about 120m2 of the house and the rest in carpet from a mate of mine who own's WA Carpet Supermarket. The timber will be laid for free by a tradesman who has benefitted from me handing his business cards out for the past 2 years.
4) I am not sure what my blinds will cost but I am not too worried about that.
5) Once again landscaping will be done by gratefull tradesmen and I have a friend who is a horticulturalist and professional gardener.

Like they say - Its not what you know it who you know.

<KS>

Hi Everyone

Sounds like Friday 28th might suit interested parties so far. What do you all think? If it suits does someone want to suggest a venue & a time?

Sparky

Kenneth will you be around?

it is not about the money

Now, KS, about that signature of yours. It is NOT about the money. Truly, it is not. Well, after a while it won't be, anyway. :D

Seriously, mate. It sounds like you've been putting lots of thinking into the investing. And will be seeing the rewards. Well done. The only way is up.

With your success on this current house, why not just do more of the same?

best regards,

I'd also like to catch up with you all again, but won't be able to between the 20th Oct and 15th Nov due to being overseas.

@GEOFF - Man we need a moderator to moderate the moderators bad jokes!!

@Pete - hehe, wondered how long it would be till you noticed just how opposite our sigs were :)

28th is good for me as long as it is 6pm or later to enable me to travel to whever ever everyone wants to meet.

I am sure we can even arrange another meeting at a earlier of later date to help out puppeteer.

<KS>

I just checked my Diary - I have the 29th off and it seems that the w/end will suit more people.

How about we meet somewhere thats fairly central? I was thinking maybe coffee somewhere in Fremantle?

Last meeting was down in Mandurah and I think it was a bit far south for some.

We could go to pizza belaroma - great food and in the middle of the strip!

<KS>

<KS>

Great idea I love PBR :D

I think the 29th would be good and Freo is a lot more central for people.

I vote the 29th and more importantly PBR :p

Back