Why do agents ask this question ?

I hold most, if not all, in utter contempt, for they have absolutely no contractual role or legal power within the contract. That's it and that's all. All the fluffy wuffy feelings / people skills / networking / emotions mean not a jot to me. Arrogant - perhaps some may call it that, others may call it confidence, depends on your scale or ability.....but then my aim is not to please / associate with REA's. I'm after something far more substantial and worthwhile.
Dazzling, you crack me up - you obviously get some kind of perverse pleasure out of portraying yourself as an ***hole; I just feel compelled to "out" you. :eek:

Having met you, Darryl, I know that you are actually a lovely chap; warm, generous, witty, and humble. For reasons best known to yourself, you go out of your way to call a spade a "f***ing shovel", I assume because it amuses you. :D And feel free to go ahead - you crack me up, too - but I'm going to put those on SS who haven't had the benefit of meeting you on notice that you're actually a big softie! :p
Given the different approaches, it would be interesting to compare results from "playing the game".....apparently you've been playing almost twice as long as we have. By virtue of compounding, you should have at least 8 times the results. I wonder.
Pull your claws in, Dazzling! If wylie was male, would you be wanting to compare yourselves at the urinal? :rolleyes:

I don't believe that you really feel this way about portfolio size. You know that somebody with a $50M portfolio doesn't necessarily know 10 times more or play the game 10 times better than somebody with a $5M portfolio. If you did believe this, you wouldn't be on Somersoft talking to us!

Carry on pretending to be abrasive and rude, Dazz, by all means. But to my fellow SSers - don't buy the arrogant pr** facade for for a minute. ;)

Gees, I was a real estate agent for 8 years and I can say that I never met any "rude" investors (in fact, I can't remember a "bad experience" with any buyer). I would always ask buyers if they were looking for the property as an investment or somewhere to live in so I could gauge their emotion on the whole buying thing, I guess. If they were looking for a family home, their needs were definitely going to be a lot different to an investors so I would go down the line of finding out what was important to them (ie big enough yard for the kids, side access, schools, bedroom sizes, that sort of thing). When dealing with an investor, I would offer an indication of what likely rent would be achieved; talk about the capital growth in an area, etc. (stuff I guess I thought investors would be interested in).

My husband and I have two rental properties and I've never worried about telling agents that we're "investors". I have never even thought that there would be any repercussions from "divulging" this information. A negotiation is a negotiation. Whether I am presented to the vendor as an investor or as a homebuyer has no real bearing, in my opinion.

I think you guys who think it is such a big deal to reveal your status as a buyer may have something to hide, but that's my opinion. There's an old saying that goes: "People who can't trust usually can't be trusted." Hear hear.

Back