Why do people advertise properties without addresses?

This drives me nuts, surely it increases admin but does it really provide a benefit to the agent?

I'm assuming it's to get people to talk to them or fall in love with the property before they've seen the location or some other such reason but do they really think it's going to make a difference? If the location is crap, it's crap, don't waste my time.

End rant ;)

yeah it's annonying....I found earlier this year when I was looking and I asked for the address that it was always on a main road.

lots of different reasons. Some vendors who think their house is a little more 'la, di, da' than the other properties in the same suburb insist on hiding their address. They're convinced that they will be robbed of their obviously precious belongings :).

If it's on a main road, it's so people don't write it off without enquiring first.

I used to work at a real estate agency a long time ago who would not put any photos of their listings in the window. This was supposed to ensure that anyone who actually walked through the door or phoned in to enquire was probably a serious buyer. I note that eventually they caved and put photos up, took a couple of years though!

Not having an address would be along the same lines I would think, they're trying to force you to call and speak to someone. I for one find it hugely annoying so this kind of strategy probably backfires more than it succeeds.

You'll find not long after you've made an enquiry, that you magically are added to some weekly newsletter spam for the agency.

For the tenanted properties, they are sometimes advertised a u/20 whatever street (no unit number listed).
I guess this is so no one just knocks on the door.
I used to rent this place and the RE agent listed all the open inspection dates. The unit was rented out at the first inspection, but people came knocking at the other inspections following as they thought it was still available.
I printed a sign and stuck it on the front door to deter the rest of the potentials from ringing my doorbell non stop.
For sales - hmm....could it be to deter people from knocking on the owners' door and making a lower offer (minus agent's commission)?

Real reason why they wont advertise address is that the agent is worried about another agent getting the address and then the 2nd agent visiting or writing to the owner to see if they can take over the business. Or the property has been leased and they are leaving it on the internet for advertising.

Back