Why do some agents refuse to advertise addresses

On No Listing Addresses:
Its the same Agents each week that do it each week.. its such a tremendous time-waster for potential Buyers, its like a power-trip for the Agent, so yeah id pass straight over them when putting together my open-house list for the weekend, unless it really looks looks mind-boggling, and worth making a private appointment with the Agent.

But Sellers/RE-Agent, why make the process harder for yourself? Sometimes I will recognise the block since I know the area im looking in, but other times I have to waste my time calling the agent to find out where it is, and make a seperate appointment since there is no Open House, and then I might find out its not actually in a street I wanted anyway.

On Lack of Photos / Floor-Plan:
This is my pet hate.. your not selling a set of used golf clubs, this is half a million dollars (or more) of property. But go onto Domain or RE.com & there are plenty of properties with just a couple of irrelivent 'location' photos and no floor-plan... Seriously.. if you dont want to pay a professional and you are hate photography... get your camera phone out for all it matters, take 12 or 15 basic photos.. show us every room, outside facade, balcony view, do up a rough floor-plan in MS Paint or Word.. anything.. its so lazy and again like many im just going to pass on by if you cant give me the basics so I can identify if this property meets my needs.

On Lack of Photos / Floor-Plan:
This is my pet hate.. your not selling a set of used golf clubs, this is half a million dollars (or more) of property. But go onto Domain or RE.com & there are plenty of properties with just a couple of irrelivent 'location' photos and no floor-plan... Seriously.. if you dont want to pay a professional and you are hate photography... get your camera phone out for all it matters, take 12 or 15 basic photos.. show us every room, outside facade, balcony view, do up a rough floor-plan in MS Paint or Word.. anything.. its so lazy and again like many im just going to pass on by if you cant give me the basics so I can identify if this property meets my needs.

Most of the time if they don't provide photos they are hiding something, the property isn't photogenic for some reason. I've seen listings showing a park down the road or a shopping centre, one had no photo's just a big picture of a camera :rolleyes:.

Another thing I hate is not displaying the open for inspection details another ploy to get you to ring them.

Got another pet hate with agents. One's that don't get back to you at all when you express an interest in inspecting a property. 2 examples of this over the past few weeks:

First one I contacted this agent to find out the address and a few questions on the property he replied with the address in the title of the email and no body of the message therefore not answering my questions. Couple of weeks later I wanted to see the property contacted him early in the week didn't hear anything for 3 days so gave up.

Second one was this week. We are looking at properties in regional Vic this weekend so wanted to organise early in the week email an agent saying want to see 3 of their properties, no response. So 2 days later my wife calls and is informed all reps are out of the office someone will call back. It is now 3 days later still no response.

If only the vendor's knew there were potential buyers wanting to see their property but giving up due to a lack of care/interest of the agent to follow up all expressions of interest.

The listing agent has a contract with the vendor so that wouldn't be a reason.

Its got more to do with agents wanting to get you to contact them to get the address.

Very lame and shows how unskilled agents really are. Because they waste time and effort like this on unqualified prospects.

Most agents were car salesman last week and RE salesmen this week. The industry is a dead set joke.

It makes it harder for other agents to prospect around your listings if they don't know where they are..................

If only the vendor's knew there were potential buyers wanting to see their property but giving up due to a lack of care/interest of the agent to follow up all expressions of interest.

Drop a letter in the vendor's letterbox telling them about the incompetent agent they have hired.

Most agents were car salesman last week and RE salesmen this week.

This is true!! The last IP I sold, the REA was having trouble getting his head around the FHOG in relation to our purchaser so I helped him out a little. When asked, he actually admitted he was a used car salesman a few months earlier! :rolleyes:

Boods

You know, it's sort of embarrassing to say, but our old agents (who we paid the rent to at our old place), they were LOVELY and good rental agents, but when they tried to sell that place, the photos weren't the best. And yes, at least there WERE photos, but only of the (less than impressive) kitchen, a strange and unflattering angle photo of the lounge room, and then all the rest were "lifestyle" photos of the nearby beach, park, shopping centre, etc. Hmm. And the thing is, the other rooms were NICE so why not take photos?!?! So...needless to say, even though we loved them, we wouldn't use them for our own agents if we were going to sell, would we? Noooope.

And yes, it is SO annoying when you enquire about a property, particularly to get an ADDRESS (HELLO!) so you can attend the open house they've advertised, and then they just don't get back to you. On PRINCIPLE, I then refuse to try again or to consider purchasing the property (unless I REALLY think it's perfect of course). If they don't want my interest, then they don't need it sold. Simple as that.

Very lame and shows how unskilled agents really are. Because they waste time and effort like this on unqualified prospects.

Yes this is exactly how I feel, there is no point hiding addresses or photos, all the buyer and seller is trying to do is locate properties that meet their needs, within their price-range.

Creating extra layers of administration for both parties is just wasting everyones time, happened to me the other week, a whole lot of effort to see a 3bdr property that had no exterior photos, made an appointment drove 30mins to get there, and as soon as I got there I knew it wasnt the kind of block we would go for.. we wasted everyones time, time he could have been spending on the right prospects for his property.

Being in the real estate photography game I know a few of the reasons.
1) Builds Inquiry data base
2) Some owners/tenants request the anonymity of the address to prevent cases of expensive possessions being linked to specific address.
Theft has occurred due to this.
3) Some people prefer neighbors are unaware of there sale taking place through fear of questions or sabotage. (Dependant on neighborly relationships)
4) Property can't be located via Google maps and pre judgements made prior to viewing.
Just a few of the reasons.....all still annoying non the less.

I do understand those reasons, except the first and last ones suck, in my view.

Building an "enquiry database", eh? Is this database the one agents use to advertise their services to potential sellers? Saying, I've got all these potential buyers interested in YOUR property on my MAGICAL DATABASE!! When really, if they're gathering these people by making them enquire as to the address of a property, at least some of them are NOT serious contenders for a vendor's property, are they?

In terms of trying to prevent potential buyers making pre-judgements of a place based on street / address, well, I say that it's simply a waste of time NOT to give all of this should-be-BASIC information right from the beginning. Even in the "worst" street, for the "worst" property, there will always be SOMEONE who wants to or HAS to buy it. Always. There's no point hiding stuff. It just pisses people off when they arrive and see it's not what they want.

I say to agents, sure - go and target potential buyers with your forced enquiries, and don't scare off potential buyers with address details for less than appealing streets, but it's to your own detriment. Target the RIGHT people by putting PROPER and FULL information up on the ads and websites so the RIGHT people come to the inspections and/or make INTERESTED enquiries about the property.

Hahah ahhhh yes the "database of buyers", that one brings a smile to my face everytime.

Even the agents know that's BS, its just a method to pick up listings.

Many people still fall for it though...

Yeah, this is what makes me wonder why more people don't just sell their properties themselves. Why go through an agent...the only purpose of having an agent do it is to get their "database of buyers"...but without that...then what? If you've got the time and inclination to do it yourself, I don't really see any downside except that some potential buyers might be nervous about not dealing with an agent.

Because there is no one, big, central website of private sales, or more people would do it themselves. All the final schenannigans is done by your solicitor/conveyancer anyway.

i am buying and selling in the same geographical area of about 3 suburbs.

there are two notorious agents who dont give addresses and a couple who do if you ask and a couple who wont usually

here is email i sent to one agent last night off their web page inquiry section

ditzy
Email: ditzys email

Phone:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

an indication of the floor plans please..
...i want something i can convert into two seperate apartments within the same house'

the reply tonight.......................

"Hi ditzy,

Thank you for your email. There is an open home on Saturday at 10 am - 10.40 am this week end. Hope to see you there. Thank you

Regards REA
--------------------

she has my name and mobile
i will go on saturday but i will use an alternate name and phone number to log into the place .....just because i can ......and because i dont want her to know she won and i actually went there.:mad:

Because there is no one, big, central website of private sales, or more people would do it themselves. All the final schenannigans is done by your solicitor/conveyancer anyway.

You could use Domain.com.au since they now allow private listings. You would miss some buyers that exclusively use realestate.com.au but you will reach a good % of buyers.

I've never even looked on domain.com.au to be honest ... haven't polled to see if anyone else I know does.

I had my house on Gumtree. Got plenty of interest but mostly from people wanting no tenants, or vendor finance, or to pay a pittance etc. Only one response from homesales.com.au or whatever the url is - the one owned by the same people as carsales.

Add: hmmm, just looked on domain. Only 7 listings in my area, all from out-of-area agents not the two local ones who have most of the listings. No wonder I never look on domain ... I have a feeling I'd also be missing that same % of potential buyers so while that site allows private sellers, doesn't mean it is any better than Gumtree.

Back