Why do some agents refuse to advertise addresses

REAs don't answer emails, don't put information on websites, etc etc. Which seems pretty standard stuff. Its almost like they don't want you to buy their houses.

Maybe we just hit a very good car yard ...

We're trying to buy in NSW from WA. Time difference and the fact that neight myself or my husband get reception at work (joys of a mining town) mean that it's email or nothing. We need to narrow our list of properties so we can see them all when we fly over. I teach, so we can only come over in the school breaks. Part of that filtering process is price, location and photographs

It's annoying when
a) There is no email response.
b) they ignore all requests for more information and practically everything I have said about our situation by suggesting we come and look at the property 'in the next few days'
c) No interior photographs, but several 'artistic' photographs of trees or random picnics.

Just because someone uses email it doesn't mean they aren't a serious buyer especially when they have explained WHY they are using email when they try to contact you.

I've had so many gripes with agents like these over the years; this one being one of them.

Typically, celebrities who are avoiding the spotlight etc only exist in the top end of town (1mill +). And most investors tend to invest in the sub 1mill (and even more, in the sub400K) region, one which I doubt many celebrities own their properties in (unless it is one of their own investment properties!). So yeah I'm perplexed too! :confused:

But, you must think of your agents as allies, and not enemies (hard, I know!). But if you can foster a healthy relationship with them

I blogged in detail about fostering these relationships on Property Spectator Australia blog - check out the story here:

http://www.propertyspectator.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/making-allies-out-of-real-estate-agents.html

from what i understand there are a few reasons:

1. its an open listing and the agent doesnt want other agents looking up the owners details to list it themselves

2. they want people to enquire rather than write off the property due to its address.

3. some owners are really paranoid and dont want neighbours, ex lovers, creditors etc knowing that their house is on the market

if the agent doesnt advertise on re.com.au or domain.com.au say goodbye to 80% of your enquiries.

3 reasons why the agents dont put photos inside:
1. by law you need tenants permission (in writing if poss) if tenanted
2. the owners are filthy and the furniture/rubbish etc (will leave with the owners) would put buyers off what would be otherwise a nice property.
3. the owners have privacy/security issues over their DVD collection, plasma screen/toy collection.

At the end of the day, re.com & domain are very expensive websites, paid for by the agents ($1-2k per month) and the purpose is to generate enquiries for the properties, not to give a buyer too much information.

Back