Why do you Invest in Property?

For us:
A tool for wealth creation with higher leverage than most investments. Permits choices later in life!:)

Thanks all. A good mix of answers. Some quite giggle worthy. I like how we Aussies can take the **** out of ourselves for a collective laugh.

I myself enjoy the challenge. Seeing how much Servicability you can stretch a blue collar, sub 70k Income over. Yes I'm a rookie and have made rookie mistakes in the past. They help you to learn, grow, evolve. I'm thankful to have finally found SS as none of my peer group or family understands my love of, and my drive to, Invest in property. So it's good to find a source of many mentors, for want of a better term, to bounce ideas off.

But that warm feeling at night knowing that I'm working towards a secure future that will allow me the choice to work, not having to work out of necessity, is what drives me the most.

Enjoy the journey.

Sonamic, after reading your post the tears just rolled down my cheeks. You have found a family in SS and,heck, you can even call me brother. I admire the honesty in your posts but promise me that you will toughen up a bit. The box kleenix next to me won't last forever.

Oh, and I'm into properties so I can rattle BS on the net.

Sonamic, after reading your post the tears just rolled down my cheeks. You have found a family in SS and,heck, you can even call me brother. I admire the honesty in your posts but promise me that you will toughen up a bit. The box kleenix next to me won't last forever.

Oh, and I'm into properties so I can rattle BS on the net.

Thanks brother. I'll mix a teaspoon of cement into my morning coffee just to make you proud. :D

10 years ago I was convinced that it would be a relatively simple way to get ahead financially.

Buy houses on land, rent them out, watch rents and CG increase over time....to eventually have more options and free time.

Owning property is an unfortunate side effect of getting access to a low risk, high leverage investment vehicle that is largely funded by someone else.

10 years ago I was convinced that it would be a relatively simple way to get ahead financially.

Buy houses on land, rent them out, watch rents and CG increase over time....to eventually have more options and free time.

So how is it working out for you now natedog?

Passive income from rent is the end goal to provide freedom from relying on salary income. Do not want to be reliant on the pension or super for retirement/living expenses.

So how is it working out for you now natedog?

Slowly but surely, accumulated a decent asset base over the last 10 years following the simple plan of buying whenever we could finance it. If all goes to plan, should be able to choose to not have to work the day job in another 10-12 years from now.

Slightly slower than i originally thought, but still better than the "normal" alternative.

I've always wanted to build. I don't care whether it is for me or someone else. I figured I would get started with a someone else paying for it ;)

Then I decided to sell my unit, but it needed a cosmetic reno first. I took something undesirable and made it desirable and increased the value at the same time. So I caught the reno bug. Combining reno/hold with develop/hold is a fine strategy, but it is difficult to find suitable properties at the right price. Lucky I like looking for houses ;)

I like looking at houses, I like finding bargains that can have the value improved with some work, I like negotiating hard to get a great deal, I like renovating, I like the value increase and rent increase it brings. I haven't started my first build yet, but I have enjoyed researching the type of building is in demand in my area, interviewing builders, inspecting building sites and completed builds of those builders, talking to other people who have built... everything really. I think I have property in my blood a bit. My parents are active property investors in their late 70's/80's. My brother in law is a developer and my brother has just finished his first duplex build. My turn next! :D

Slowly but surely, accumulated a decent asset base over the last 10 years following the simple plan of buying whenever we could finance it. If all goes to plan, should be able to choose to not have to work the day job in another 10-12 years from now.

Slightly slower than i originally thought, but still better than the "normal" alternative.

Lol! Yes. As the add says "Property Investment, a get rich SLOW scheme". Though admittedly not for all, and some more successfully rapid than others, but as a generalisation of delayed gratification, apt.

Lol! Yes. As the add says "Property Investment, a get rich SLOW scheme". Though admittedly not for all, and some more successfully rapid than others, but as a generalisation of delayed gratification, apt.

Spot on.. its a get wealthy slow way and because of that is generally the lowest risk.

The secret is, that there is no secret.

If you want to get wealthier than you ever thought possible simply purchase good quality well located property as fast as you can reasonably afford, then hold it all for the long term.

Notice I said 'simple', not easy.....if it was 'easy' everyone would be doing it.

I hope this provides some food for thought.

Back