Why Doesn't anyone buy my house :-(

You can also get it listed on realestate.com.au now if you want to handle it as a private listing. Saw one company the other day - from memory $290 for the listing, then $70 for each month it's on the site.

Hi James, good on ya. That's what I do [and did]. Instead of lowering the price [my sale price were always realistic], i take the property off the market. Last year, my agent suggested lowering the price, I told him to readvertise and increase the price $10000. Sold too.

However, at this point, that ploy won't work so I decide to keep it for rental.

Long ago, that happened to my sister. The asking price didn't include the discount factor and it wasn't a good time to be selling. A lot of people liked the house but watched and waited.

The offer was so lowball that I decided to buy it off my sister. And that began my property investment!

Good luck to you,
KY

Hi James,

What is wrong with your house?

Constructive answers I hope:

1. No double Garage.
2. 5 BR will limit your market away from FHOB.
3. Housing estates donot appeal to everyone.
4. Looks small from front.
5. It's been for sale for too long.

I am glad you can keep it until there is a better market and more people will be interested.:):) Someone will love it eventually!:)

Regards JO

Personally, with all due respect, when I look at the home from the front, it looks incomplete to me. You need to "frame" the front yard to give it some definition.

Personally, at minimum, I would get a couple of tonnes of soil, a few dozen plants, maybe some nice succulents at the front, and some hedging plants at the side(that could be groomed down the track to frame the borders of the block). Run some garden along the houseline, then a row along the letterbox line, with some rocks between the plants for interest. It can be anything of course, but it needs something!

The house itself doesn't look too bad. Go and have a look at some of the websites for project homes to see similar homes. They have some pretty basic looking facades in some cases, but the front landscaping oozes street appeal due to quality landscaping. I'm a big fan of plantationhomes, simonds, porterdavis and I think metricon for nice websites with good pics of landscaping.

Plus, as others have said you just need to get it out there more.

Run some garden along the houseline, then a row along the letterbox line, with some rocks between the plants for interest. It can be anything of course, but it needs something!
Yes. Just like Monty Pythons' Knights of Ni - "We want a shrubbery"...."and you must bring it back here beside this shrubbery only slightly higher so it gets a two level effect with a little path down the middle"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UbtcmjfKa8

My suggestion - follow some of the advice given re pictures etc.

Then get a DL card printed and walk around distributing them in letterboxes.

who looks at oztion? To me it's people who want to spend $10 not people who want to spend $300K plus

Yes. Just like Monty Pythons' Knights of Ni - "We want a shrubbery"...."and you must bring it back here beside this shrubbery only slightly higher so it gets a two level effect with a little path down the middle"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UbtcmjfKa8

I'm not sure if you're taking the ****, but I really can't see the problem with providing a bit of detail of the configuration of a basic garden. It's certainly more helpful than "put a garden out the front"; Which, if the point was of interest to the original poster, inevitably leads to the question, "any ideas of what sort of garden would fit within this property?".

Maybe I missed the point of your post though.

I'm not sure if you're taking the ****, but I really can't see the problem with providing a bit of detail of the configuration of a basic garden.

No, not at all - that is the trouble with just the written word ;)

It is just that a number of us now - you, me, L&P and others have said it needs some kind of garden.......which with my warped sense of humour reminded me of the Monty Python sketch........this house does indeed need a few shrubs.

No, not at all - that is the trouble with just the written word ;)

It is just that a number of us now - you, me, L&P and others have said it needs some kind of garden.......which with my warped sense of humour reminded me of the Monty Python sketch........this house does indeed need a few shrubs.

Thanks for the clarification:). The written word definately is difficult to interpret correctly in some cases.

G'day JW & All,

Unfortunately James having researched H/Bay & surrounds for two solid years before purchasing in the Bay ourselves (we are now resident of H/Bay), I am afraid the local markets peaked in 2004/5 for houses and it has been very, very flat since. Bear in mind lots of statistics are blown out of proportion due to concentrated sales in two particular estates......the rest of the market place is dead!!

Massive oversupply of houses and apartments for last two years and sales are very slow, no matter what the local agents tell you. Most of agents there have been living off previous earnings and from my very personal and extensive experience are all useless as tits on a bull. There is no urgency, enthusiasm or endeavour to sell.

An acquaintance (agent)with Carter Cooper has made it very clear on what is really going on with property there and the market has very definitely tanked and is definitely not on the rise. A lot of agents made their money years ago and have sold very little since.

Bernard Salt & others have had H/Bay as their pet boom suburb for some time....it will continue to grow but it is no Mandurah or Noosa....if you can hang on for a few years the market will slowly recover, but this will be some time in the making (4 -6 yrs minimum). There is simply too much stock on the market as all the near deads sell up their hoimes and move into the new apartment complexes like Sapphire etc.

As for Toogoom, well the reality is it is an isolated market and like Bargara is to Bundy it is simply too far out of H/Bay to attract much interest, even though it is 7 minutes drive!! Many people who have move out to Bargara simply move back to Bundy because the short distance is actually an impost.

I agree about the photos having seen your original post eons ago. They are not particularly 'jazzy' and unfortunately your house just does not present in such a way as to grab (my) attention. Big houses on average size blocks proliferate the real estate pages there and unfortunately the property will only appeal to a small proportion of buyers i.e. those who want to live in Toogoom.

I think as others have mentioned, a fresh approach to garden / landscaping....some big colourful pots or features.....another go with advertising....and if nothing happens try to rent out if you can hang onto the property.

Good luck with it all.

Cheers,

Ian.

Back