why don't they just stop imagration for a yr or two ?

If there's such a housing shortage , why have they almost doubled immigration, I don't get it ?
They just said on ABC it's doubled , 150 to 300k - stop that for a yr or two and bingo , no more shortage .
I know we need trade and medical people but that's only b/c Howard abused and cut schools & training for so long & Abbot will do the same , ok kick now !
But that's all being built up again now so if they just let in 40 or 50k skilled instead for a yr or two, plus all the new training coming through & the break giving housing time to catch up , hardly seems like rocket science to me .

Cheers

is there really a housing shortage? skills shortages are more of a risk - well they were before labor destroyed the mining industry

If there's such a housing shortage , why have they almost doubled immigration, I don't get it ?
They just said on ABC it's doubled , 150 to 300k - stop that for a yr or two and bingo , no more shortage .
I know we need trade and medical people but that's only b/c Howard abused and cut schools & training for so long & Abbot will do the same , ok kick now !
But that's all being built up again now so if they just let in 40 or 50k skilled instead for a yr or two, plus all the new training coming through & the break giving housing time to catch up , hardly seems like rocket science to me .

Cheers

They have talked about slowing imigration (due to polling), but it seems both major parties have economic modelling that shows boosted imigration will improve their tax intake and help solve the massive problem of paying for baby boomer retirement. We dont want to be taxed out of existence.

Id just be happy for punters who arrive to this country to make it their home to speak clear english....it should be a prerequisite actually.....that will sort out the wheat from the charf quickly and will certainly help with new immigrants to assimilate rather than the current trend of buying out suburbs for one ethnicity and turning the places into a non english speaking area with no resemblance of Australia to be found basically...

I'm all for immigration if people choose to assimilate effectively...currently this is not the case for many people who continue to choose to live in little groups and overtime expand and take over suburbs....

The "cash" business culture is also another issue that needs to be addressed in many immigrant cultures..............its rife!

Are you arguing for more sharing?

Not going to argue anything re this. I want to go for a bike ride. :)

I charted the rate of dwelling construction versus population increase a while back, and construction rate was high enough to provide more than enough dwellings to house population growth at 2.6 people/dwelling.

Before one accepts there's a housing shortage, it would be wise to delve deeper.

Not going to argue anything re this. I want to go for a bike ride. :)

I charted the rate of dwelling construction versus population increase a while back, and construction rate was high enough to provide more than enough dwellings to house population growth at 2.6 people/dwelling.

Before one accepts there's a housing shortage, it would be wise to delve deeper.

Yep; you have to be a young professional couple D.I.N.K's in a 4 x 3 house.

35 squares at least.

Random: If there's such a housing shortage , why have they almost doubled immigration, I don't get it ?

Because there is no housing shortage!. From your comments, sounds like your a typical Labor voter, who gets all the info from the TV news. They need people to, a) keep wages down - less people would means the workers get more picky and demanding b) have more consumers - more people = more sales c) more tax intake for the government.

The "cash" business culture is also another issue that needs to be addressed in many immigrant cultures..............its rife!

Yeah mate, I agree, like the Aussie tradies who want cash in hand, so they don't have to declare the income, or the aussie cafe owners who put the cash on the counter rather than ring up the till, so they can take the cream of the top, and only declare part of the intake. Hey mate. Those "cash" business cultures.
Guess ALL cultures are just smart, and would rather use the money themselves than have government waste it.

The OP's spelling of "Imagration" indicates that we need more immigrants to teach his kind the Queen's English.

Aussie tradies who want cash in hand, so they don't have to declare the income, or the aussie cafe owners who put the cash on the counter rather than ring up the till, so they can take the cream of the top, and only declare part of the intake.

Good point. It's all too easy to demonize foreigners for crime, bad driving, not paying tax etc when we do just the same whenever we can get away with it.

Because there is no housing shortage!. From your comments, sounds like your a typical Labor voter, who gets all the info from the TV news. They need people to, a) keep wages down - less people would means the workers get more picky and demanding b) have more consumers - more people = more sales c) more tax intake for the government.

Yeah mate, I agree, like the Aussie tradies who want cash in hand, so they don't have to declare the income, or the aussie cafe owners who put the cash on the counter rather than ring up the till, so they can take the cream of the top, and only declare part of the intake. Hey mate. Those "cash" business cultures.
Guess ALL cultures are just smart, and would rather use the money themselves than have government waste it.

Thats pretty assuming of you bs , scuse pun . I've never been a typical anything , but a shortage has been the typical scream all over for yrs now including here has it not ?
Personally I've never believed there is a shortage , as a matter of fact I think we'll be flooded in spare property once all the latest new panic subs, combined with slowdowns and investors heading for the hills eventuate.

Last edited:
The OP's spelling of "Imagration" indicates that we need more immigrants to teach his kind the Queen's English.

Good point. It's all too easy to demonize foreigners for crime, bad driving, not paying tax etc when we do just the same whenever we can get away with it.

Wtf , his kind - yet another giant mind all caught up in the all important logistics of grammar , in a public forum where you my man are nothing more than a few letters on a screen, give me strength !

Thats pretty assuming of you bs , scuse pun . I've never been a typical anything , but a shortage has been the typical scream all over for yrs now including here has it not ?

The "housing shortage" was also a typical scream all over the world as well.
If you listen to the "news" enough, you might even think that there is still a housing shortage in the US, and Britain.
Think for yourself random, and stop listening to the TV news. But typical Labor! Easily led by the media.

You better also get into the US market. Economists say they apparently have a housing shortage heading into 2011, hehe. ;-))
U.S. May Face Housing Shortage in 2011
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/us-face-housing-shortage-2011/story?id=9853626

Give me strength !

Bs , I get my info far and wide , always have . Our media 's a joke and if you knew anything about me you'd see that's been said many times , by me.Typical labor voter , I've voted Lib 3 times . Easily lead you say , wt ? If only you knew me , this is laughable but just for the record , I've never been lead by anyone , to anywhere , in my life !
Think for myself, you'd need a change of underwear to walk through my life to date believe me - your still assuming , very unhealthy, which usually goes with an unrealistic existence !
It's amazing how quickly these places change their tune but I won't bother pointing it all out .

Typical labor voter , I've voted Lib 3 times .

That's funny, you don't sound like a Liberal voter. And by the way, schools (and TAFE's) are controlled by the states!, not federal governments. And guess what, Labor for 14yrs!

As for your original post, the population growth has nothing to do with housing shortage. There is no housing shortage, just like there was no housing shortage in other parts of the world.

That's funny, you don't sound like a Liberal voter. And by the way, schools (and TAFE's) are controlled by the states!, not federal governments. And guess what, Labor for 14yrs!

As for your original post, the population growth has nothing to do with housing shortage. There is no housing shortage, just like there was no housing shortage in other parts of the world.

OK , one last stab and then I gotta go do something important like file my wifes nails for her.
I've said for yrs there is no housing shortage - read , I just said it again right here 5 mins ago !
It isn't me that's been moaning housing shortage for the last 5 yrs , where have you been living in a cave ?

Ok , done , dusted , go find yourself something to do !

Id just be happy for punters who arrive to this country to make it their home to speak clear english....

the charf

Irony is a wonderful thing, no? Based on the absolutely horrid spelling of an alarmingly large number of posters on this forum, I think we should focus on Australians' battle with even the most basic english before we tackle the issues in relation to migrants.

Anyway, I found your post to be most amusing. Mostly because you clearly have no idea what you are talking about and seem to get your opinions from John Laws during the day and A Current Affair in the evenings.

My grandparents came out here after the war. They are honest, hard working people who just wanted a chance at a new life. They were taken from their homes by the Germans and sent to a strange country on the other side of the world by the Allies. Not that they complained - they love it here and Australia has been very good to them.

Their experiences with Australians left much to be desired, however and frankly makes me a little ashamed to call myself Australian when I think about it. When I would go out in public with them when I was young, they would talk quietly or whisper in my ear. I used to wonder why they would do that, because I had absolutely no problem whatsoever speaking to them in Ukrainian in a normal manner. It wasn't until I was older that I realised it was a throwback to their experiences when they first came here. The term 'Wog' was not used as a friendly nickname back then.

They were shunned and treated very poorly by Australians (not all Australians, of course) - and they're white! Maybe it's because they're Slavic, I dunno... But it doesn't matter who you speak to, from any time, it's the same story. Italians, Greeks, Vietnamese, Chinese, Cambodian, Iranian, Sudanese, etc etc - it's the same story over and over. How about you ask yourself why culture after culture that comes here to Australia seems to stay mostly insulated, instead of pointing fingers at them?

Australians in general have a lot to answer for in the way we treat immigrants in this country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back