why is it that i'm not satisfied?

I thought Scrooges just hate xmas, not tenants?

Yes..and the stupid (softy) landlords we are, we told them today, we may accept mediated settlement at the Tenancy Hearing next month, if they propose an acceptable payment schedule to catch up, and stick to it.

In fairness, that seems a misrepresentation of what lizzie said. In this thread, I understood that she was posing a sincere philosophical question about what drives people. I didn't see her as "having a go" at those who don't share that drive at all. Nor, in the other thread, did I see her saying that frugality was the perfect way to success, or having a go at those who are spenders.

LOL :D

damn - i have to spread my kudos a bit more.

you are exactly right.

i was pondering why some people are driven to strive versus others who are content with whatever stage they are at and don't strive any further than their current situation.

i am one of those driven ones and was trying to work out why.

also, i wasn't having a go at those who don't spend ... i just made an interesting observation about how frugality seemed to be coming the new "black".

Just had a look at the website for the book 'Affluenza', and read the first chapter (which is online). Very, very interesting. The thing that really struck a chord with me was the concept that, beyond a certain threshold, wealth and possessions doesn't add much to your life.

Just had a look at the website for the book 'Affluenza', and read the first chapter (which is online). Very, very interesting. The thing that really struck a chord with me was the concept that, beyond a certain threshold, wealth and possessions doesn't add much to your life.

I got myself the book. Started reading it this week, almost finished it (1 more chapter). Excellent book...

My local library has a copy, I love the library.

Also you can search the entire library system and order books for only 80c, what a deal! Sort of fitting for a book like Affluenza that you don't spend too much for it :)

If you liked Affluenza you might also like Alain De Botton's work. 'Consolations of Philosophy' and in particular 'The Pleasures and Sorrow of Work'.

I think the concept of money utility is fascinating. The increase from $100 to $10,000 net wealth potentially being much more significant than the move from 1M to 2M.

Yeah, me too (see signature below!).

I read it last week.

The book is really just an old message in a different format.

The Buddhist philosophy appears to have influenced the authors.

I'm waiting on a copy of ''Status Anxiety'' and ''Bobos in Paradise" suggested by aussierogue.

You get charged to order books?! You're getting ripped off - ours is free! :D
Gold Coast library system used to be free, haven't used that for a few years now though. I do rack up the $$ with my volume of ordering :) Giving the library money is a pleasure anyway, I try and donate old books to them when possible as well.

True, it's not that much of an impost, but isn't that what council rates are for? :)

Our local library provides a fantastic service - if a book is available in another branch, it will usually be in my local branch within 24 hrs. I'd willingly pay $1 for that service.

Back