Why is land so cheap on Hindmarsh Island???

land doesn't seem that cheap to me then again river heads you can get a decent sized block for under 100k and toogoom around 125k and both have public transport lots of shops schools etc 15mins or less away in hervey bay.

Most blocks are 200-400 metres from the beach:p

Hindmarsh Island may have water views and what appears to be cheap water front property, but it doesn't have the swimming or surfing beaches like other towns near by, and it's the farthest away from facilities in the region.

The place also stalled mid development around 2008 giving the place an unestablished (and uninviting) look.

Then there's the obvious water issues.

Like a lot of other retirement/holiday regions the place has not recovered from the pre 2008 slow down.

The market there will probably perform well one day, however in the mean time I imagine the yields would remain poor, and CG no better than property a few streets back in some of the other towns near by.
Goolwa (where the bridge crosses from the mainland to Hindmarsh Island) has one of the best swimming and surfing beaches in SA !!

Goolwa (where the bridge crosses from the mainland to Hindmarsh Island) has one of the best swimming and surfing beaches in SA !!

Well yes, but that beach and others further down are not at Hindmarsh Island ;).

You pay for water front at HI but it's not beachfront, and you can't swim in it, well you could but you don't.

Inlaws had a waterfront property on Liverpool Rd. (on the Goowa side) for many years and we always drove to the beach. That was my point.

its all a matter of opinion but for me, the island has always looked unappealing. goolwa is a little town with some interesting history and some nice eating places but the climate is not great.

better places in the region to buy property. but each to their own.

the bridge to the island was controversial and very expensive. have not been down that way lately but a year or so ago because of the lack of water some of the area looked depressing.

Back