why is the weather "bad" now?

okay - seriously, i've had it up to >here< with the f**king weather reports.

torrential rain in North QLD has just been reported as *shocking* - that's right - apparently people are "shocked" that a tropical low + cyclone brings torrential downpours over a tropical landmass. newsflash - living in far north QLD runs the risk of flooding. if you choose to live there, expect it! i know it's no fun being flooded, but it it's the fifth time it's happened to you, and your insurance didn't cover you from the second time, and all of a sudden you can't afford to fix everything... MAYBE you should think about moving....

the ice storms in the UK were reported as a result of ....wait for it...global cooling in the northern hemisphere (hello! GLOBAL mean THE WHOLE PLANET). so ...what? we're cooling in the north and warming in the south?

i just heard a radio report that this week's Perth patterns are a "heatwave" of 32, 35, 39, 33, 34 etc. sorry - it's not a heatwave, it's SUMMER - you know, then the Earth's axial tilt puts the southern hemisphere closer to the sun in this stage of it's orbit...?

the old summer weather patterns from when i was a kid, you know - the old "one week of 35+, followed by a cooler spell/storm, followed by another 35+ week then getting sticky through February into March" is apprently "cause for concern", as the changes in weather bring on summer colds and dehydration....! WTF? cry me a river already! drink some water and stop chopping and changing between aircon and beach FFS!

this summer has been a hot one here in Perth - FINALLY! i haven't felt a summer like this since i was....well, i can't remember exactly. our garden looks great (really! that natives have struck and are GROWING) the lawn is doing fine (standard watering days and times) and our power bill is still lower that our older house with AC.

has everyone gone soft, or are the media just hyping it up on the back of global warming....wait, or is it global cooling......hang on....:mad:

I agree, and I blame the media. I also hate it when sports people are called heroes. yeah, hitting a ball with a bat is heroic!

I agree, and I blame the media. I also hate it when sports people are called heroes. yeah, hitting a ball with a bat is heroic!

This is one of my pet hates too. Or when a footballer breaks a collar bone and plays on and is hailed a hero. More like "stupid" in my eyes.

i hate it when sports people are called 'legends' more...

Also love this weather post... one of the best things i have read in ages Blue Card and couldn't agree more.

Personally i think the news in general is becoming a hype fest.. so many things skewed so far out of proportion.. i get my news online.. i read what i want to know about and ignore everything else.

Dont get me started on today tonight et al.... the apology kings of the world.... " and finally before we go tonight we would like to apologise for a story we ran last week, where we infered this man was peadofile and a rip off artist, it turns out he is just a normal furniture salesman and the claims made by a women were not accurate.....goodnight" never mind all the damage we have caused this man.....

In the north there were was ex-tropical cyclone Neville and ex-tropical cyclone Olga. Both were pussy cats and, combined, didn't dump "real" rain in the area. They were merely part of a monsoonal trough which spread across the north as happens every year.

The weather has always been "bad"! I remember in high school before "global warming" had been invented we had to blame it on the ATOMIC BOMB!

"Old men talk about the weather,
Old women talk about old men".

:

It's funny you mention that BC. I was just watching the news over here and they were going on about the record dry spell in Perth,..:eek: Making out it's something really unusual.

Well I'll be buggered.:confused: Isn't it supposed to not rain much in Perth over summer? Or that's what I thought? There's been no rain for 50 days or something? How much difference is there between no rain and 5 mills in the middle of summer anyway?

See ya's.

it rained this morning, funnily enough.

sticky all day till the doctor came in.

like i said, one week of 35+ (just had it), another of cool (just had it) and now another week of 35+ (about to have it).

Perth is where the desert mets the sea - with a little strip of land in between called "the wheatbelt".

Summer is ALWAYS dry - last week it was down to 4.5% humidity.

I was talking to a scientist the other day. He was in Australia from England to to do a series of lectures regarding the weather. He was telling me that while we have had these weather extremes previously, they are happening far more frequently these days. The last 10 years have been getting more and more extreme.

It makes me think that it may not be wise to invest near the sea. So as far as the weather is concerned, Hobart gets Melbourne weather. Melbourne gets Sydney weather. Sydney gets Brisbane weather, and Brisbane gets cairns weather.

The weather has always given people who can't start a conversation something to talk about.

Nowadays it gives bad journos something to write about.

Sooner or later even those buying into this 'news' will turn away out of boredom and they'll turn something else into equally sensational news.

Are we all going soft?

Maybe all these journos are Gen Y who have grown up with aircon'ed everything.

I remember when I was a kid, I didn't know any one who had aircon. People drove around in Summer with the windows down, families sat out on the verandah to get cool, people even went shopping somewhere airconditioned just to get out of the heat. Not one of my school class rooms were airconditioned, hot days in a class with the fans going full bore overhead, sweating, legs sticking to the seat, kids having bubbler fights at lunch time to cool off.

Now days, we go from the airconed house into the airconed car, to the airconed office/shopping centre/school. I admit I do - have to say summer hasn't been that bad, 22 degrees all day!

I laugh when I hear reports about the shocking conditions of some schools that they dont SHOCK HORROR have aircon in all class rooms and the parents are up in arms "how are my kids supposed to do their school work". I spent my whole school life freezing in winter and boiling in Summer at school.

We just dont really live the seasons much anymore.

torrential rain in North QLD has just been reported as *shocking* - that's right - apparently people are "shocked" that a tropical low + cyclone brings torrential downpours over a tropical landmass. newsflash - living in far north QLD runs the risk of flooding. if you choose to live there, expect it! i know it's no fun being flooded, but it it's the fifth time it's happened to you, and your insurance didn't cover you from the second time, and all of a sudden you can't afford to fix everything... MAYBE you should think about moving....

the ice storms in the UK were reported as a result of ....wait for it...global cooling in the northern hemisphere (hello! GLOBAL mean THE WHOLE PLANET). so ...what? we're cooling in the north and warming in the south?

i just heard a radio report that this week's Perth patterns are a "heatwave" of 32, 35, 39, 33, 34 etc. sorry - it's not a heatwave, it's SUMMER - you know, then the Earth's axial tilt puts the southern hemisphere closer to the sun in this stage of it's orbit...?

the old summer weather patterns from when i was a kid, you know - the old "one week of 35+, followed by a cooler spell/storm, followed by another 35+ week then getting sticky through February into March" is apprently "cause for concern", as the changes in weather bring on summer colds and dehydration....! WTF? cry me a river already! drink some water and stop chopping and changing between aircon and beach FFS!

this summer has been a hot one here in Perth - FINALLY! i haven't felt a summer like this since i was....well, i can't remember exactly. our garden looks great (really! that natives have struck and are GROWING) the lawn is doing fine (standard watering days and times) and our power bill is still lower that our older house with AC.

has everyone gone soft, or are the media just hyping it up on the back of global warming....wait, or is it global cooling......hang on....:mad:

Hey; stop being me!! :D

Back