Why is there so much nastiness around

That's a good point bob.

I wonder if when people are referring to the good old days they're forgetting that the original inhabitants of this land were nearly wiped out and we're not even considered human beings for a long time, that women were second class citizens for a long time, homophobia was a common occurrence and that almost everyone non anglo who came in copped racism.

I'm sure some things genuinely were better then but it does sound a a lot nastier to me too.

And then you see stuff like this ... and faith is restored ... :D

http://djokovic.worthytoshare.net/might-know-novak-djokovic-video-will-make-great-eyes

Actually - I find life rewards so much better if you are positive and cheerful and apologetic and polite ... perfect example of making lemonade ... we had our new beds delivered on Wednesday for the tourist cottages - missing one base ... was assured it would be here first thing Friday as the accommodation was completely booked out Friday afternoon onwards ... base now won't be here until late Friday afternoon - after checkin.

Could've gone nuts but what would it have solved ... wasn't the fault of the sales person ... since learnt that the booking has been made by a international celebrity and their friends ... perfect opportunity to apologise for the delay in having that bed made up ... and present them with a "sorry" gift pack :D full of Spotty Dog products, Pokolbin Purple Garlic and a bottle of wine from a friends vineyard.

One late bed base - one priceless promotional opportunity.

What is "the church"
Is everyone here following one common understanding of one religion?
Which one?

Genuinely curious!

Western society - from Europe after the Roman Empire dissolved, is based upon laws of the Judeo-Roman Catholic Church, See Magna Carta. In the 16th and 17th centuries there was the Reformation and some European countries became Protestant and broke away from Catholicism, but still kept the same State laws as these laws were fundamentally accepted as being for the good of all.

As European countries colonised the East, they took their laws and religion with them, thus America became both Catholic (from France, Spain and Portugal) and Protestant (from the northern nations). Parts of Asia became Catholicised (Philippines) and Australia was officially Anglican although our heritage is just as strongly Catholic. Resource-rich Africa copped both mobs like the Americas, it is now generally Muslim in the north and Christian in the south.

Although more recent politics has tried to separate religion and the State, it has been recognised that many of todays State laws are based upon ancient Judeo Christian values, Buddhism or Islam, depending where you are. Many Australians are opposed to the introduction of Sharia Law as it has sections which are diametrically opposite many of the laws we practise today, such as freedoms to dress in public, women's rights, rape laws, Capital punishment etc.

Communism is vehemently opposed to any modern traditional religions, although some texts I have read during my Tertiary Studies call Communism a Religion, it being an all-encompassing way of life. AFAIK Humanism and Materialism are religious constructs of the 20th Century, but they may be older than that.

So, in conclusion, I was talking about more than just one church; the religious leaders dictating State laws, like we see the Muslim Brotherhood today in Egypt.

Thus continueth the lesson for today, dear brethren

Frontal lobes and the modern ADHD epidemic

I do not believe there is any ASD, ADD or ADHD epidemics. What I see are more and more people surviving childhood who, in my day, would have killed themselves at a young age. Hence the perception of an increase of these conditions in our communities.

Drownings, road accidents, malnutrition and fatal childhood illnesses have been reduced due to our improved lifestyles over the last half century.

I do not wish to excuse bad behaviour and poor social skills, just saying this is one major (I believe) reason why we seem to see increased levels of these conditions.

Here endeth the lesson*

I personally believe the world is getting better (for many of us) and see it as my oyster. Perspective is a powerful force in my experience.

I do acknowledge there are a myriad of issues out there that need addressing so not a head in the sand type of guy, unless you ask my wife :p

I personally believe the world is getting better (for many of us) and see it as my oyster. Perspective is a powerful force in my experience.

I do acknowledge there are a myriad of issues out there that need addressing so not a head in the sand type of guy, unless you ask my wife :p

I agree the world is getting better. We are all living past 40, less diseases and more hygiene.
If you look at the stats - there is less crime and pollution now than 100 years ago. Better designed cars.

Many crimes in the past were kept under cover or considered normal - now they are exposed and people put up with less.

Western society - from Europe after the Roman Empire dissolved, is based upon laws of the Judeo-Roman Catholic Church, See Magna Carta. In the 16th and 17th centuries there was the Reformation and some European countries became Protestant and broke away from Catholicism, but still kept the same State laws as these laws were fundamentally accepted as being for the good of all.

As European countries colonised the East, they took their laws and religion with them, thus America became both Catholic (from France, Spain and Portugal) and Protestant (from the northern nations). Parts of Asia became Catholicised (Philippines) and Australia was officially Anglican although our heritage is just as strongly Catholic. Resource-rich Africa copped both mobs like the Americas, it is now generally Muslim in the north and Christian in the south.

Although more recent politics has tried to separate religion and the State, it has been recognised that many of todays State laws are based upon ancient Judeo Christian values, Buddhism or Islam, depending where you are. Many Australians are opposed to the introduction of Sharia Law as it has sections which are diametrically opposite many of the laws we practise today, such as freedoms to dress in public, women's rights, rape laws, Capital punishment etc.

Communism is vehemently opposed to any modern traditional religions, although some texts I have read during my Tertiary Studies call Communism a Religion, it being an all-encompassing way of life. AFAIK Humanism and Materialism are religious constructs of the 20th Century, but they may be older than that.

So, in conclusion, I was talking about more than just one church; the religious leaders dictating State laws, like we see the Muslim Brotherhood today in Egypt.

Thanks Angel - wow so much to consider. If I had to choose an external god it would be a cat! As far as I know the Egyptian cat gods did not write any scriptures for people to miss interpret and begin wars over 2000 later! They seem the safest god option lol ;)

Question - how do you react when someone is nasty/rude?

Respect yourself enough to Set boundaries on what you are willing to accept.
Remove yourself from hostile situations - you do not need to put up with anyone who is not aligned with your highest values.

Thanks Angel - wow so much to consider. If I had to choose an external god it would be a cat! As far as I know the Egyptian cat gods did not write any scriptures for people to miss interpret and begin wars over 2000 later! They seem the safest god option lol ;)
Don't have a god at all.

Just live, be a nice person as much as you can, and strive to be happy and a benefit to the planet.

FFS.

But, if we must go that path of gods to follow :rolleyes:... A dog is the best one - unconditional love, loyal and is always happy.

Cats are rude, aloof snobs who are self-centered and continually kill things no matter how much you feed them. (I have had many cats as pets during my life).

As for reacting to rudeness; there are different responses required.

In the car; the best response is to either ignore them, or simply wave and continue on (and have a large spanner next to the seat just in case they decide to be an idiot and continue the issue).

Don't have a god at all.

Just live, be a nice person as much as you can, and strive to be happy and a benefit to the planet.

FFS.

But, if we must go that path of gods to follow :rolleyes:... A dog is the best one - unconditional love, loyal and is always happy.

Cats are rude, aloof snobs who are self-centered and continually kill things no matter how much you feed them. (I have had many cats as pets during my life).

Dogs make better pets - if you like dependency.
Cats make better gods - self centred, punishing, intolerant of other gods, controlling...... Isn't that what people love to worship?

No I don't have a god - no religion, but I do network within lots of religious groups and have an interest in all of them. Pearls of wisdom in all - I like the benefit of choosing what works best for but I am not commited to any of them!

I subscribe to karma, I offer friendship to anyone but with BS meters on standby when first meeting.

I then treat all others as they treat me :)

Yep, sounds good to me.

Summary

The piece I wrote yesterday was a history lesson. My reason being to show that laws tend to be based on the prevailing religion of the time and place. It is the values and standards of the religions or social systems that determine public behaviour. Take Australia today - broadly secular society, very limited number of citizens adhere to any religious teachings about manners and behaviour and CONSEQUENCES. Now you know one source that can give us a society where bad manners can occur unchecked.

Frontal lobes and the modern ADHD epidemic

Hi Angel, I am interested in this statement. Can you explain what you mean?

I find religion interesting. Do you know Richard Dawkins, the evolutionary biologist? He argues that religion does not help people live by any moral construct and that people are not better human beings because of it. One example he gives is that religion says nothing about animals, but we have laws to protect animals. I don't agree with him on that point.

Stephen Fry was pretty vocal about his atheism in a recent interview saying he wanted nothing to do with a vengeful God who allowed children to die of horrible diseases. He was obviously talking about the Old Testament God, who was wrathful and angry.

imho, religion tells you a lot about the humans who made it. Each religion is a reflection of its followers, not the other way around. You can understand more about a society if you examine it's religion.

Take Australia today - broadly secular society, very limited number of citizens adhere to any religious teachings about manners and behaviour and CONSEQUENCES.
I disagree.

There doesn't need to be any religion involved for Parents (and teachers) to teach their kids decent manners, respect for elders and so on...to be a decent human being and to live life doing mostly the right thing through life.

Problem is; the non-decent humans are the ones who seem to be reproducing the most, while the more desirable humans are choosing not to. Religion or not.

These non-decent humans are producing more of the same, and the balance is shifting ever-increasingly towards a human race of f/wits and losers.

The more desirable people we need to populate this planet are decreasing and going the way of the Dodo.

My son is now in High School (a private school too) and what he tells me is a bit alarming - they are able to get away with far more today than we would never have been allowed to when I was at school (yes; the old "back in my day" dribble - but seemingly true).

My whole family and extended family are basically non-religious. None of us ever went to church, or talked religion.

A couple of them have since taken up a religion more dramatically as adults, but they were already really good humans before hand.

Not blowing our trumpet; just pointing out a fact as an illustration for this post; from my Grandmother down to her Great-grand kids of today, I can honestly say that they are a pretty good bunch of humans as a group with mostly good values.

He argues that religion does not help people live by any moral construct and that people are not better human beings because of it.
Correct.

Just one example of this; the proliferation of religious leaders who partake (and try to hide) their abuse of children in their "care"...and their Bosses who also try to hide the behaviour.

Of course; then there are religion driven murders and so on.

I could go on, and on.

Actually Marc I totally agree with you. At no time was I suggesting that only people belonging to a church can be nice people.

I was alluding to my theory that the nasty ones do not have any peer pressure (supplied by a God-fearing society around them) to affect their impulse-control. It is those who do not recognise any higher power OR other authority figures, like teachers, the police etc, who are most likely to have the least amount of respect for others. I believe this number is increasing as society moves further and further away from teaching any respect for the Law and as laws and punishments are diluted. We are on the same page, Buddy.

I do not belong to any church or organised religion myself, I tend to vomit at the thought.

Hi Angel, I am interested in this statement. Can you explain what you mean?

Hello PG, you wrote something yesterday about grumpy old people and frontal lobes, and Rixter wrote about impulse control. I get to work with several clients every day who have "different" frontal lobes and other neurological stuff happening.

Those ideas sent me on a tangent. We regularly get to see headlines asking:
"Is there an ADHD or ASD epidemic?"

Loss of impulse-control is a serious problem for people affected by these medical conditions. I say medical condition as a generic word when talking to my students about their learning disabilities.

I get to spend my days working with 14 and 15 year old urban terrorists, many of whom have very little self control and virtually no executive functioning. We actually spend way more time working on impulse control and teaching social skills than any time spent on academic learning. At school I still get to see the so called normal students, plenty are brain dead anyway. However there are plenty of lovely responsible students who are becoming fine young ladies and gentlemen, all is not lost.

Back