Why not having children is best thing ever

I don't get into internet argument :D ..life is a series of decisions and choices.
make the decision, commit to it, be happy and make the best of it

What I want to know is: How on earth did a thread started with a funny graphic to give people a bit of a laugh morph into... whatever this is now???????

Probably because you consistently voice strong contrary opinions on controversial topics. :p

I often don't agree with this type of opinion, I think it's a bit short sighted, but everyone is welcome to their own opinion and beliefs.

Keep in mind that the original post is mostly about sacrificing the ability to sleep in. Most of the sacrifices people make regarding their children are in the first 20 years and most parents will claim there's massive reward during that time. They'll also claim that there's further reward over the next 30 to 40 years, often even greater when you consider extended family entering the picture.

It's not a stretch to make the observation that older people can't wait to become grandparents. Given they've usually had the life experience to know life with and without children, perhaps they know something about this topic that many others don't.

My wife and I don't have children and that's not by choice. We've also discussed that in many respects we're better off as a result. Longer term however I think we'd be happier if we did have children.

I saw a quote last week, "Expecting a child is like meeting someone you've never met, but knowing you'll love them unconditionally for the rest of your lives."

Probably because you consistently voice strong contrary opinions on controversial topics. :p

I didn't realise I had that much control over peoples' emotions! This feeling is... awesome!

The title of the thread was just that - a title. Are people really that easily swayed by a handful of words? Besides, it's just a title. The focus of the post was the graphic.

Last edited:
Personally my biggest concern is that there is no refund or resale possibility. If I don't like them, I can't just send them back or sell them on ebay.

And unlike any other life decision you make, it's not possible to change your mind afterwards.

Which is why if I ever decide to have any, I would have to take a long, long time to consider it. Even years if necessary.

Which is why if I ever decide to have any, I would have to take a long, long time to consider it. Even years if necessary.
I/we did that.

7 years married before the first one came along; I was 40 years old.

Next one was 8 years later - both boys were planned pregnancies.

Both terrific, but hard work at times in their own ways.

Next one was 3 years later - an accident, but she is beautiful...but also hard work at times as a 2 year old.

Waiting longer doesn't mean the outcome will be good or bad.

it means you are ready versus not ready.

There is no way I was mature enough (not even now :D) to have kids when I was in my early 20's for eg.

I did it for one day, not 30 years. Today I went out for a nice bike ride, did some work on my business, updated my website and LinkedIn/Google+ profiles, read a book for a while, caught up on some finance articles, went for a walk to get some groceries, published a new blog post and sussed Somersoft for a bit.

Oh stop it please! You mean to tell me when you don't have kids you get to go to work and do IT work? You even get to go shopping and read websites? Jeez sounds like those of us with kids are really missing out... :p

I just think not having kids, which is a decision or circumstance I completely support, is a great opportunity to live an unconventional life - a life of adventure and imprudence and impetuosity.

I agree somewhat, in a few years i will spend the rest of my life surfing and diving all the top ten destinations around the world without a child in sight

I think that if your interests are strong enough away from the family life then not having kids is easy

Not sure how many people have children because they need to add meaning to their lives or are probably just bored

I agree somewhat, in a few years i will spend the rest of my life surfing and diving all the top ten destinations around the world without a child in sight

I think that if your interests are strong enough away from the family life then not having kids is easy

Not sure how many people have children because they need to add meaning to their lives or are probably just bored

I have surfed,dived and fished in many locations around the globe with my wife and kids and can't think of anyone I would rather do it with!

I'm sorry that you took "a fence" at my post. I intended nothing of that nature whatsoever.

My point was only that there is something good at the end of the pain. Many posters in this thread, both those who never want kids and those who have them, have only focused on the journey and not the destination. But the destination is the important part of it all.

Absolutely no "a fence" was taken. It was a genuine question.
As there does seem to be a bit of "kid snobbery" going on in the thread, I thought I'd ask as it sounded a bit like that to me.
You took my question as having been offended. Not the case at all.

And the answer eventually was given thank god and thank you geoffw.:cool:

Having lived until 40 without kids, and now 13 years since then with them, I can say that life with and/or without them can be very good.

Surfing/golfing/skiing/travelling as a single guy with mates and/or the wife with no kids is terrific.

But, once the kids come along and you can do all of the above with them; it is terrific too - but in a different way.

For us folks with kids, and being able to compare the two lives; there is no chance that I would swap for the old life.

Hard to explain it.

I like that I can now do all of the above with the mates/wife and no kids as before from time to time, and also do all of the above with the kids.

A nice place to arrive at.

I took both my boys out on the bay earlier this year (Summer) on our wave-ski - for the first time all 3 of together.

It was fantastic...water smooth and as clear as glass, warm, no wind, kids laughing and having a ball; it was awesome.

I was having a silent "teary" I was so happy...I never felt like that spending time with my mates - even though I love them too.

Last edited:
Personally my biggest concern is that there is no refund or resale possibility. If I don't like them, I can't just send them back or sell them on ebay.

And unlike any other life decision you make, it's not possible to change your mind afterwards.

Victoria does have a 24 week cooling off period.

Again...this questioning.:(

Got to remember that having children has not been the best thing ever for all who have gone there. Lots of abused kids or isn't there?

I doubt those stories will be told here.

Bit of balance please.

Again...this questioning.:(

Got to remember that having children has not been the best thing ever for all who have gone there. Lots of abused kids or isn't there?

I doubt those stories will be told here.

Bit of balance please.
1. My comment was only intended as something lighthearted- a joke showing what how a punctuation mark can change the meaning of a sentence completely. Like the difference between "what is this thing called love?" And "what is this thing called, love?"

2. Much of the thread has been about the advantages of not having children. I'm not sure why a post, an a light hearted one at that, expressing a different point of view is not showing balance.

I thing that the title of the thread deserves some punctuation.

Why not? Having children is the best thing ever.

I agree ,Geoff having children was the best thing to ever happen in my life after watching what my Wife went through and watching the Wife go through all the pain,then hold them for the first time see them grow up all the school pickups for 16 years,then one day you turn up at a airport and they fly out..then come back from a ConTiki Europe tours with a English boyfriend..

I agree ,Geoff having children was the best thing to ever happen in my life after watching what my Wife went through and watching the Wife go through all the pain,then hold them for the first time see them grow up all the school pickups for 16 years,then one day you turn up at a airport and they fly out..then come back from a ConTiki Europe tours with a English boyfriend..

But it gets better and better. They leave home, create their own families, and gradually the giving/taking wheel turns...

They present you with grandchildren (who are just wonderful - all the fun but none of the hard yakka)
They offer to subsidise your retirement (absolutely not necessary, but thoughtfulness appreciated)
One has you to stay at their place interstate and you get to sit down while they cook, serve and clean up
Another will drive by to check on the house while you are away
Offers of lifts to the airport
They phone up frequently to make sure you are OK

The list just goes on and on.
Marg

LOL :D

Victoria does have a 24 week cooling off period.

Farout,that's seriously funny:D

Thankyou,

Cheers Spades.

And there's no warranty. :D

I often say to my 12 year old son; "I'll keep you on - until they bring out a better model!"

I also say that to my wife. ;)

All my family have strained eyes from rolling their eyeballs a lot in our house.

I wonder why that is? :confused:

Back