Why not include GST in the price?

I'm going to have a little grumble at Australian business here ... and they wonder why we end up going overseas!

Went to a benchtop place a week ago to get an idea on price for a composite stone benchtop ... was advised $330/m2

Wow - great price ... but then found out that didn't include install.

Okay - got the guy out to give a quote ... was advised price would be around $650/m2 and he would send the quote thru.

Fine - then the quote came thru over $2,000 more than we'd calculated on the figures he'd given us as a per m2 price.

Turns out - it was $650/m2 installed - plus cutouts, plus template, plus joints, plus joint polishing, plus mitre - PLUS GST.

Bugger that - when someone says "includes install" I expect it to include the install - not install plus all the other install.

Add on that we measured 8m2, and they claimed 11m2 ... don't think I'll bother going back.

And why the heck to companies quote prices ex-GST on obviously consumer (not commercial) purchases - and then add the GST almost as an afterthought.

Last edited:
I thought it was against the law to advertise GST exclusive prices unless it explicitly states that they are GST exclusive.

I thought it was against the law to advertise GST exclusive prices unless it explicitly states that they are GST exclusive.

That's what I thought too.

These guys keep moving the goal posts Lizzie. Go elsewhere and ask for an "all up" figure in writing.

Trade Practices Act requires GST to be included in all quotations, either as a nominated add-on ( plus GST) or as part of the GST inclusive price.

It was included in the quoted price - but not in the upfront conversation ... along with 50% of the install costs.

Yep - going elsewhere. Researching a white polished concrete benchtop instead

I'm going to have a little grumble at Australian business here ... and they wonder why we end up going overseas!

Went to a benchtop place a week ago to get an idea on price for a composite stone benchtop ... was advised $330/m2

Wow - great price ... but then found out that didn't include install.

Okay - got the guy out to give a quote ... was advised price would be around $650/m2 and he would send the quote thru.

Fine - then the quote came thru over $2,000 more than we'd calculated on the figures he'd given us as a per m2 price.

Turns out - it was $650/m2 installed - plus cutouts, plus template, plus joints, plus joint polishing, plus mitre - PLUS GST.

Bugger that - when someone says "includes install" I expect it to include the install - not install plus all the other install.

Add on that we measured 8m2, and they claimed 11m2 ... don't think I'll bother going back.

And why the heck to companies quote prices ex-GST on obviously consumer (not commercial) purchases - and then add the GST almost as an afterthought.

sooner or later, they'll be selling cars for $20,990 drive away

PLUS $2000 for tyres

and yes, I hate the + add ons,

or air fares that have a fuel surcharge, or sector taxes,
consumers dont give a stuff whether they pay $1000 for the flight +$0 in fuel surcharge, or $0 for the flight +$1000 in fuel surcharges

but some of these companies act like we are screwing them over.

PS dont get me started on tradies that if you ask them for a cash price, they umm and ahh and think they are doing you the worlds biggest favour by taking 10% off the price!!!! Sometimes I wonder if they believe the tripe they claim, why would anyone get 10% off for a zero tax deduction, while they dont pay tax on either

Bwah ha ha TMNT,traidies think they have the monopoly!

Straight to gaol,ask for a cash quote lizzie and report them to ATO.

I have no time for rort traders.

Good luck finding a source,maybe service central is a better bet?

I think the thing that annoyed me ... and it wasn't the end price as $2,000 in the scheme of things is not great ... it was that I went in and asked the price - was told $330/m2 - asked if that included install (like who installs their own benchtops?) - was told $660/m2 - final price turns out to be around $1,100/m2 after all the add ons.

If they'd told me $1,100/m2 from the start then I wouldn't have bothered with them

Lizzie:

You could let him know that what he is doing is illegal and that you may report him to the ACCC, which can fine him $1 million if he is a repeat offender of not including gst in his pricing (and the sum be included as a single price figure).

Consumer law states that it is illegal for a business to make claims to customers about its goods or services including claims about price that are incorrect or likely to create a false impression. This includes advertisements or statements in any media (e.g. print, radio, television or online) and any claim made by a person representing your business.

Intention is irrelevant. They may breach the law even if they thought the statement was correct when they made it.

Last edited:
PS dont get me started on tradies that if you ask them for a cash price, they umm and ahh and think they are doing you the worlds biggest favour by taking 10% off the price!!!! Sometimes I wonder if they believe the tripe they claim, why would anyone get 10% off for a zero tax deduction, while they dont pay tax on either

Don't get me started on people who encourage tradies to take cash.

Whats wrong with paying taxes like everyone else?

What? In what sense is it "extra"? It's a legally necessary component of the price.

Not sure what the issue is. Whether he pays tax on his earnings or not is not my concern. There is nothing illegal on my part - compared to your false analogy of:

Why not just steal? "Do you like to pay 100% extra?" :rolleyes:

I simply pay less on an expense that I cannot claim a tax deduction on anyway for a PPOR. Learn how to argue properly.

Your comment was in response to Waldo talking about people encouraging tradies to take cash in exchange for not paying taxes.

If you're now suggesting that you just ask for a discount based on the payment method, with no intention to defraud taxpayers, then I don't know why you quoted that comment.

Learn some manners!

Your comment was in response to Waldo talking about people encouraging tradies to take cash in exchange for not paying taxes.

I encourage paying cash to tradesmen because I want a lower price, as do many other people. Do I do the tradesman's tax return? Do I pretend to tell him how to do his taxes or declare his income?

Even if I paid him by EFT or some other payment method and he gave me an invoice, it is up to him whether he chooses to declare that income or not. Shall I call and check with him at tax time that he's declared the income from the service he provided to me?

If you're now suggesting that you just ask for a discount based on the payment method, with no intention to defraud taxpayers, then I don't know why you quoted that comment.

No defrauding of taxpayers on my part. If you can save 10% extra just by giving someone cash - wouldn't you do it? Or do you like paying extra?

Learn some manners!

Learn to read my point without trying to label me as a tax cheat, perhaps?

If one still receives a tax invoice, then they've done their bit.

Somebody who accepts a lower price in exchange for not getting a tax invoice is complicit in tax fraud.

Back