Why not include GST in the price?

Then you obviously haven't got the concept?! The above is the true definition of 'cashie' understood by both trade and customer. Nothing written down, nothing recorded, just a handshake required. If you wrote those things down then there was obviously a communication breakdown between you and the tradie, wether intentional or not. If you ask for a tax invoice after reneging your choice for cash - expect the tradie to issue you with a partial payment on an invoice (probably charge you more), then add GST. What comeback have you got then?
We get asked for discounts for cash all the time on work done, tyres etc.

I have a number of responses in my head I could use, and depending on the person; I have used some of them.

One is; "When you go to the supermarket, and take your trolley of items to the cashier, what do they say when you ask them; 'How much for cash?'"

Another is; "Yep; discount for cash; but no invoice and no warranty". That changes their mind pretty fast.

One time, a bloke asked me if I accepted cheques. I said "Sorry; we don't accept cheques unless it's a bank cheque"

He then told me I would take his business cheque if and when he bought his car for the tyres he needed. :rolleyes:

I said; "No worries; when the cheque clears, you can come and pick up the car".

Now how about if you have their ABN, business details etc, they forgot to give you a invoice (or never intended to) and you make a diary entry on the cost of the job and claim it on tax
Forgetting to give you an invoice is different to agreeing to not provide an invoice because you both agreed to a cash deal.

We often get folks calling and asking for us to send them another copy of an invoice they lost, but need for tax deductions.

This would be a similar scenario to forgetting to provide an invoice; you don't have one, but need a copy.

Similar - but different - to the scenario of reneging on the cash deal; we often get folks wanting "a basic service" to keep the cost down....then at the end when they pick up the car they nonchalantly ask; "Did you to stamp the service book?"....Good one.

I think there's a difference between asking and expecting. I often ask if companies or trades are willing to provide discounts for cash/EFTPOS up front, because I know it helps their cash flows and prevents them chasing. If they don't, so be it, I'll still buy it. It's like lowballing a property offer... if you go too low and offend them, they'll be angry, but if you make a reasonable offer you give them the option to accept and feel OK about the deal.

Depends on the nature of the service or work.

i always prefer to do with an invoice for more technical work or delivery of certain items (say for e.g. replacement of aluminium glass windows, paid with credit card, company delayed than went bust, covered by credit card policy on item being undelivered).

For say painting (really not much you can do - i just hand cash not fussed as i have used the same painter scribbles up a receipt etc).

Actually really a trade etc should be offering a price ( GST inc), i mean they collect it on behalf of the ATO and the only real reason to not charge GST in the 1st place is to avoid tax.

Last edited:
Actually really a trade etc should be offering a price (without GST), i mean they collect it on behalf of the ATO and the only real reason to not charge GST in the 1st place is to avoid tax.
Do you mean they should only be offering a price *with* GST included?

Back