Why sign the back of a cheque?

Hubby went into a bank yesterday, with a US$ cheque in my name, to deposit into our joint account. I had signed the deposit slip.
However the teller refused to accept it. She said that I had to sign the back of the cheque.
So I want to know - WHY????
I can understand situations where I'm transferring ownership of the cheque - for example, when a cheque is made out to me as an individual and I'm depositing it into a company account, I need to endorse the cheque by saying I'm a director of the company etc etc.
But why sign a cheque which is being deposited into an account of the same name? The teller said that the US bank would reject it unless it was signed. Is this a US thing???
I mean, the US bank doesn't have my signature on file, so they have no idea if it's really me anyway.
I'd really like to understand WHY this needs to be done. I don't like doing things for no apparent reason. :confused:

Off the top of head I'd say that banks hate cheques (too much trouble), they hate customers (even more) so why don't you just go home and use electronic banking, like a good little girl. :D

Thommo

US banks don't hate cheques, they hate electronic banking. Thier 21st century banking initiative ("21CBI") is that when your cheque has been cashed and cancelled, they will scan it and send back the scanned copy for your records.

But just try paying someone by direct credit over the net.

Sheesh!

Back