Wild Goats $4 a kilo Dressed Weight!

Rounded up some wild goats (68 head) last week and have returned an average of $70 a goat or $4 a kilo dressed weight. This is quite big money and not bad for circa 6 hours work.

Anyone here eat goat? Personally I don't.

Dad used to be an aggri banking. Told me of some clients who made some decent coin rounding up wild goats.

Also don't mind a goat curry.

'Singapore House' used to a good one Corey

Wild goats stink! I think I tried it once and I think I could still smell em? Maybe it was my mind playing tricks? There's enough fish, pork, chicken, lamb and beef out there that I don't ever want or need to eat goat.

See ya's.

Rounded up some wild goats (68 head) last week and have returned an average of $70 a goat or $4 a kilo dressed weight. This is quite big money and not bad for circa 6 hours work.

Anyone here eat goat? Personally I don't.

Did you use dogs Charlie as I do remember goats can be hard work, and goat traps made it really easy

Well done!

Personally I like a nice tender Capretto/baby goat as it's more tender but cook anything long enough and it's pretty good.

Personally I like a nice tender Capretto/baby goat as it's more tender but cook anything long enough and it's pretty good.

Haha reminds me of something my grandpa said once

"Wood duck do you know how to cook them....? what you do is boil them in a big pot with a rock, when the rock goes soft and tender they're good eating"

Haha reminds me of something my grandpa said once

"Wood duck do you know how to cook them....? what you do is boil them in a big pot with a rock, when the rock goes soft and tender they're good eating"

Are you just saying your soft like the rock? Haha!

Saying that the rock isn't going to get soft and the wood duck isn't going to be good eat... As westminster made comment that you cook anything long enough it will be good.

Saying that the rock isn't going to get soft and the wood duck isn't going to be good eat... As westminster made comment that you cook anything long enough it will be good.

Perhaps a slight over exaggeration on my part :)

But most things will tenderise in a nice curry if you cook them for 8hrs

Wild goats stink! I think I tried it once and I think I could still smell em? Maybe it was my mind playing tricks? There's enough fish, pork, chicken, lamb and beef out there that I don't ever want or need to eat goat.

See ya's.

Ive been involved in a goat farm in the past and also rounding up the strays and their progeny of a few years out of control and yes it was rewarding financially for very little work.

We also slaughtered a few for eating and the best way to eat is after slow cooking. Roast the best, but stews also very nice.
Its a very lean meat that tastes not unlike lamb just not so "fatty".

Yes they do stink, in a pack of a 1000 absolutely stink, but not when dressed on the hook.

I once had the task of shearing 1000 goats all on my own. Feck it was hot and it was hard work but the highlight was trying to catch the very last one to shear. Impossible!
Had to let a few of the others back in the pens to stand a half chance.

A few years back we were on a hunting trip out past Bourke way.

We were driving through a property along a track which was quite rugged in places when we came across a herd of them.

There must have been at least 20 goats, with the leader right at the front. They were about 40 or 50 metres to the side of us, just standing there looking at us.

I had my Winchester .222 with a Bushnell 3-9 variable scope out the passenger window, zeroed in on the leader. One of the fellas said don't shoot, they could be owned by the cocky so I obliged. Out in the bush one has to respect the land and all that dwells on it....if in doubt don't shoot was the motto.

The goats lived another day.

Back