Will agents ever stop the crap?

That was what I have found the real estate agents are protected species. All companies use the REIWA's form (fees and charges etc). They are doing nothing for the management fee while charging separately on everything they are supposed to do. Rental rolls to them are quite important to their surviving. For a rent, you take aways 14-17%, + mortage , it makes very hard to the investors.

Analyst - Queensland is a regulated market, the only state which continues to regulate a maximum schedule of fees an agency can charge. Most of the fees charged in other states can NOT be charged in Qld. Only 1 week application fee can be charged in Qld by law.

Basically we can charge a management fee, a petty's charge and 1 weeks letting.

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

That's not totally true as ther is a thing called economies of scale at work. Also, a lot of the work is performed by low paid employees.

If it wasn't profitable agencies wouldn't do it. Simple.

And agencies make a hell of a lot of money selling their rent rolls. I cant quite remember what the multiple of earnings per tenant to sell is but its very high.

Agencies build up their rent roll with a sole view to selling at a a later point. Can be very profitable.

This is very true, and if it wasn't no-one would do it.

The cashflow for running a rent roll is very poor until it reaches a certain size. Property Managers are poorly paid in Qld because of the lack of cashflow profit and service is often a non event. A friend in Sydney who is a PM gets paid more than ours do.

The multiple is different for every area but it isn't per tenant, it is based on a calculation taking management fee and annual rental return into account.

The other reason for owning a rent roll is for a listings base. A rent roll provides sales opportunities to the business. These are the 2 primary reasons for owning a PM dept. but cashflow is definately not an advisable reason. Some agents think it is when they first get into it but find out fast that it is running at a loss and cut corners to survive. Thats when Landlords get crap service and complain bitterly, and rightly so.

Real Estate is a business, it is meant to be profitable. There is a real estate agency on every corner right throughout Oz (and prob the world for that matter) and competition is often the best method of controlling cost to consumers. There is always someone who will perform a real estate service cheaper, others who have a higher price structure with a possible greater service standard and most who are middle ground (market value as determined by consumer demand). Your job is to select one to suit you.

As for low paid employees - not many of them left with the lowest unempoyment in decades and surging costs to employees forcing businesses to consider casuals and contractors. And what will happen if Paid maternity leave comes in......but that's another debate.

Real estate isn't voluntary or a charity. If you don't like what you are paying where you are then find an agency that suits you. Like everything in life, if you want what you want get your hands dirty and make it happen. Sit on your butt and complain and ultimately no-one listens anyway.

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

Hiya Kev

I so relate......................

Perceptions from the outside are often so different to the reality on the inside........................and vica versa too !

ta
rolf

So a bit of a bump of an old thread. Interesting reading nonetheless. I wonder if anything has changed in the 4 or so years since?

I am searching for a property agent for my Dad and it doesn't seem to have changed that much , but so far have only had a chance to get quotes from 3 companies (and not negotiate with any of them).

I wonder whether the property market being in a slump might have changed things. The hope, of course, being that a reduction in income from sales might have increased competition for property management income (on the flipside it might have caused increased phantom charges too).

Anyone have anything new to add about property managers in Perth? Have rates come down at all?

NB - Been reading a few threads on here for a while, need to start posting and participating more as I get more involved in the property field. At the moment, my experience is sadly quite limited.

I don't log in on the forum very often these days so maybe things have changed but couldn't help but respond to this.

TMNT, I get your point regarding that advert. It's poorly worded, pricing is all over the place and it sounds like an untrained agent who needs to work on better skills but I think calling the agent Dumb is unnecessary and alluding to her birthplace unfair.

If you want to criticise, be accurate in your criticism. The agent is likely just another person doing a job, trying to pay a mortgage and put kids through school. She is probably a wife and mother to someone and clearly someone's child and loved by those around her. No need to be personal.

I hope the forum hasn't become a place like other formats where people can vent online and be keyboard warriors.

TMNT, I get your point regarding that advert. It's poorly worded, pricing is all over the place and it sounds like an untrained agent who needs to work on better skills but I think calling the agent Dumb is unnecessary and alluding to her birthplace unfair.

im sorry, language skills aside, the agent/agency is simply dumb,

the ad has been up for at least 12-18months, nothing wrong with that,

offers above $229k, when the ad says "we've dropped the price down from $219 to $209k" which they did months ago, is simply stupid, language barrier or not! numbers are universal. Logic is not cultural

im also going by some of hte conversations ive had with the agent, there is very little common sense in that entire agency

If you want to criticise, be accurate in your criticism. The agent is likely just another person doing a job, trying to pay a mortgage and put kids through school. She is probably a wife and mother to someone and clearly someone's child and loved by those around her. No need to be personal.

which part of my criticism was NOT accurate??? seems pretty accurate to me, and what does her being a person doing a job, trying to pay a mortgage, putting kids through school, being a wife, mother, someones child have anything to do with anything??? thats just trying to sensationalise the whole argument

The agent is likely just another person doing a job, trying to pay a mortgage and put kids through school. She is probably a wife and mother to someone and clearly someone's child and loved by those around her. No need to be personal.

I hope the forum hasn't become a place like other formats where people can vent online and be keyboard warriors.

Unless working pro bono the agent will be taking money from someone who has a mortgage,kids to put through school, probably a wife, mother who is also loved. Does this some one not deserve to have their property sale managed properly?

Are you trying to be funny????

Not at all TMNT :)

I actually agree with your view that an advertisement should be professionally presented. I was emphasising the point. In a lot of advertisements (admittedly outside of the realms of real estate where there is less expectation of professionalism) I quite often see a complete lack of full stops at the end of sentences, a lack of capital letters at the start of a sentence, and more than a few misspelled words. It can sometimes be quite frustrating to try to read and comprehend! Admittedly the advertisement you linked to isn't quite THAT bad, but it would make me (and I assume other potential buyers) question the agents/agencies competence - just as you have pointed out.

Disclaimer: Above E & OE :D

Not at all TMNT :)

I actually agree with your view that an advertisement should be professionally presented. I was emphasising the point. In a lot of advertisements (admittedly outside of the realms of real estate where there is less expectation of professionalism) I quite often see a complete lack of full stops at the end of sentences, a lack of capital letters at the start of a sentence, and more than a few misspelled words. It can sometimes be quite frustrating to try to read and comprehend! Admittedly the advertisement you linked to isn't quite THAT bad, but it would make me (and I assume other potential buyers) question the agents/agencies competence - just as you have pointed out.

Disclaimer: Above E & OE :D

Agree with you, a lot of unprofessional agents out there

And the ad that I quoted was pretty mild in the scale of poor ads, but I pointed that ad out as it wasnt a poor taste or preference ad, but simply dumb in my eyes!

How can.an agent not.look at their ad for over a year and yet put something so contradictory that their credibility goes out the window!!!
It's like a used car salesman advertising a write off car as virtually brand new and accident free while.leaving the before accident photos.in the.car!!!

Back