Will Brisbane outperform Sydney over the next 12 months?

Will Brisbane dwelling values outperform Sydney over the next 12 months?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The only wildcard that might change this, in the short (12 months) term; would be the Chinese factor. I've heard murmurs that they are warming to Brisbane as an expansion from Sydney/Melbourne focus, but I'm yet to see it in person.

I have a business trip in mid June though. I might stay the weekend and attend a couple of auctions in affluent suburbs and CBD units, for ***** and gigs, just to see if there is any/heavy presence... Might change my views on inner CBD units in Brisbane if the Chinese factor is a major one.

Just in the CBD? I hope you don't go to Fortitude Valley (Chinatown) looking for them...

I think middle ring Brisbane and middle ring Gold Coast (I know it is a smaller city so basically I mean anywhere from say 2km - 10km from Surfer's Central), will do very well in the next 12 months and we might see a couple of postcodes in these locales, eclipse those of sydney...

C-mac,

Care to postulate the numbers of "a couple of postcodes in these locales" :D

Cheers
Greg

Jerrybee, IMHO The Valley is the Chinatown that the Brisbane City Council kinda 'forced' upon Brisbane, it never really took off as a genuine place of interest for Chinese and indeed broader pan-Asian communities, until fairly recently. It'll be interesting to see what kinds of buyers flock to the OTP stock in The Valley/Chinatown/surrounds. Worth keeping an eye on.

I'd argue that Sunnybank is more the 'unofficial' Chinatown of Brisbane. School catchment zones are popular here; a substantial established Chinese community already; good transport links; and lots of houses on good size blocks. These are all big desireables on some Chinese investor checklists.

As to the postcodes that I think might have the big growth, well, I'm no economist nor do I claim to be an expert on SEQ, but i have a couple of thoughrs for geberal areas that might do very well.

IMHO only - based on a few pieces of digital research, ABS data, my on the ground DD, perusing the numbers sections of API over the past 12 months, and my buying experience to date in SEQ - it might be worth doing your own due diligence on the following areas:

Brisbane houses: Coorparoo and surrounds. Everton Park/Arana Hills and surrounds (watch for termites though!)

Brisbane units/TH's: Established stock in Mount Gravatt areas/Holland Park. Also worth looking around Boondall/Zillmere in the north. Been dormant but has good underlying principles, and most of the vacant plots have been recently developed or are about to. Whilst this has added stock to market which ordinarily would see prices flatten or go backwards, all the while a lot of what was vacant land in these areas has been developed, as have knock-down shacks replaced by TH/unit blocks. But demand is keeping pace as vacancy rates stay pretty reasonable. What I'm saying is... Demand is mopping up excess supply and little empty land is left to develop. Good things happen to areas such as this, when this trajectory gets locked and loaded.

Again these are just my thoughts and areas I'm looking at - doesn't mean I've invested in these OR that I will - I just believe these areas will see solid 12-month growth, possibly in line with some Sydney/Melbourne suburbs.

Jerrybee, IMHO The Valley is the Chinatown that the Brisbane City Council kinda 'forced' upon Brisbane, it never really took off as a genuine place of interest for Chinese and indeed broader pan-Asian communities, until fairly recently. It'll be interesting to see what kinds of buyers flock to the OTP stock in The Valley/Chinatown/surrounds. Worth keeping an eye on.

I'd argue that Sunnybank is more the 'unofficial' Chinatown of Brisbane. School catchment zones are popular here; a substantial established Chinese community already; good transport links; and lots of houses on good size blocks. These are all big desireables on some Chinese investor checklists.

As to the postcodes that I think might have the big growth, well, I'm no economist nor do I claim to be an expert on SEQ, but i have a couple of thoughrs for geberal areas that might do very well.

IMHO only - based on a few pieces of digital research, ABS data, my on the ground DD, perusing the numbers sections of API over the past 12 months, and my buying experience to date in SEQ - it might be worth doing your own due diligence on the following areas:

Brisbane houses: Coorparoo and surrounds. Everton Park/Arana Hills and surrounds (watch for termites though!)

Brisbane units/TH's: Established stock in Mount Gravatt areas/Holland Park. Also worth looking around Boondall/Zillmere in the north. Been dormant but has good underlying principles, and most of the vacant plots have been recently developed or are about to. Whilst this has added stock to market which ordinarily would see prices flatten or go backwards, all the while a lot of what was vacant land in these areas has been developed, as have knock-down shacks replaced by TH/unit blocks. But demand is keeping pace as vacancy rates stay pretty reasonable. What I'm saying is... Demand is mopping up excess supply and little empty land is left to develop. Good things happen to areas such as this, when this trajectory gets locked and loaded.

Again these are just my thoughts and areas I'm looking at - doesn't mean I've invested in these OR that I will - I just believe these areas will see solid 12-month growth, possibly in line with some Sydney/Melbourne suburbs.

Many thanks for sharing the information for us here Mr. Mac,

As per general rule of thumb for investing here in SS forum, rather than buying OTP apartment unit, it would be much more profitable for the long term to get existing house / town house.

So yes Since I'm in NSW area, I might have to use Buyers Agent service to help me determine the place to buy remotely.

Just in the CBD? I hope you don't go to Fortitude Valley (Chinatown) looking for them...

Sunnybank is more China town than the valley and has been for a couple of decades.

Edit - Cmac beat me to it. I've noticed that in the last 10(?) years Sunnybank et al has seen a small influx of Indian, Muslim and east African's.

Always visit Sunnybank for an Asian feed for three when in Brisbane on IP field trips.

If you haven't been, check out Tobaki Korean BBQ on Gowan road. It's the usual cook at the table BBQ but it's a buffet for 'ingredients'.

Oishii Sushi place on mains rd (technically pinelands rd I think) is the best sushi in Brisbane. Just past Pinelands plaza heading out of the city, next to the 7-11 petrol station. No train, made to order. Try the soft shell crab.

No mate..you can leave the New Farm & Milton stick at home...lunch is provided also.

If you want a quick, cheap, and just a tad nasty lunch in between inspections the Asian grocer in the small complex next to the Runcorn tavern on Gowan rd is good. Around $6 for your choice of 'meat' (like peeking duck, pork chop etc), rice, some greens etc for one. Not somewhere you'd want to take your prospective wife, but a half decent cheap easy to get in and out of place. Only open for lunch. Bit of a change to the meat pie that we normally get on our lunch break when IP searching.

Word on the Street

Brisbane seems to be picking up significant steam and growth rates might meet Sydney growth rates as the latter decelerates. Two anecdotes:

1) The REA for my place in Margate just rang advising of significant growth, demand for my property, and what my "number" is if I wanted to sell. This could just be them trying to drum up business - but shows that growth is not confined to the "close to the CBD" region.

2) I went to the nab branch in Sydney at the weekend, and the lady behind the counter was telling me about Brisbane being the rage based on the people she's spoken to recently. One of her customers just spent $800K on an apartment in Brissy!

When you begin hearing "talk" of Brisbane being the next big thing from non-investor types in Sydney relatively frequently (as I'm now starting to hear); and looking at the plethora of SS threads on Brissy from some newer investors - that suggests, to me at least, that it's well on it's way.

That said, I think it's only getting started in Brissy, and with the cycle there usually behind Sydney - the best is yet to come!

Brisbane seems to be picking up significant steam and growth rates might meet Sydney growth rates as the latter decelerates. Two anecdotes:

1) The REA for my place in Margate just rang advising of significant growth, demand for my property, and what my "number" is if I wanted to sell. This could just be them trying to drum up business - but shows that growth is not confined to the "close to the CBD" region.

2) I went to the nab branch in Sydney at the weekend, and the lady behind the counter was telling me about Brisbane being the rage based on the people she's spoken to recently. One of her customers just spent $800K on an apartment in Brissy!

When you begin hearing "talk" of Brisbane being the next big thing from non-investor types in Sydney relatively frequently (as I'm now starting to hear); and looking at the plethora of SS threads on Brissy from some newer investors - that suggests, to me at least, that it's well on it's way.

That said, I think it's only getting started in Brissy, and with the cycle there usually behind Sydney - the best is yet to come!

Cool, so I guess, it is time to fins a buyers agent who works and knowledgeable in Brisbane area ;-)

before it gets overpriced like in Sydney.

4 years ago I was offered a House & Land Package in COOMERA, QLD by JDL Strategy for $420.000 I should've take that opportunity.

Last edited:
Back