Will Melbourne be like New York

Dear All,

Do you guys think, Melbourne CBD will become as famous as Manhattan one day.

Thank you
Hari Yellina

Last edited by a moderator:
Sydney is more like NY than Melb. Until Melb drivers learn how to make a proper right hand turn I'm afraid they won't get far. And I'm not even going to mention their football code lol.

Dear Datto,

Very funny, but you got a point on right turns. It won't whole Melbourne built around this messy right turns.

Atleast you understand them. It took me a while.

Thank you
Hari Yellina

WE have a very inflated opinion of ourselves.

When living in the USA, the vast majority of folks we met had never been to Aus.

The amount of folks we met who also didn't know where Australia is was staggering...many thought Australia was Austria, many were surprised we spoke English as the main language.

Of the folks who actually came here, almost all only ever flew into Sydney, and then went north to Cairns. Never came South to Melb.

Admittedly, that is only one Country.

While I have never been to Manhattan, I know some of it from the movies and tv generally - Australia's obsession with all that is USA.

I don't think Melb will hit the news O/S other than maybe for the AFL GF (didn't even see that on the teev in the USA), and/or the Melb Cup (same again - never saw it).

Sorry; but eventhough I think Melb is as good as any other city I've visited in the world as a place to live; we won't ever be New York.

While I have never been to Manhattan, I know some of it from the movies and tv generally...

My son recently spent a couple of data in LA, hired a car and drove around, and said it is EXACTLY as we see it on TV. Like, they just go and shoot outside. Sometimes with a camera.

My son recently spent a couple of data in LA, hired a car and drove around, and said it is EXACTLY as we see it on TV. Like, they just go and shoot outside. Sometimes with a camera.
Yes, it is exactly as you see it.

We lived in L.A for 2 years, and we saw loads of movie shoots all over...you would just be driving around, and see an entourage of vans and so forth for a shoot all sorts of places.

They often shot episodes of "The Hills" in our apartment complex! Heidi Montag lived in our complex, and baby sat our son a couple of times until she moved out to greener pastures.

That was art imitating life, because about 90% of the residents were those 20 something Hollywood types who were "in the industry", or trying to break into it..

We often watch a movie these days (some older and some new) which were shot in L.A, and recognize many areas and several streets..

Quite funny to see.

WE have a very inflated opinion of ourselves.

When living in the USA, the vast majority of folks we met had never been to Aus.

The amount of folks we met who also didn't know where Australia is was staggering...many thought Australia was Austria, many were surprised we spoke English as the main language.

Though Americans can't exactly known as the world's geographers.

Though Americans can't exactly known as the world's geographers.
Why not, though?

It baffles me.

Surely they do geography at school, there is the internet etc...

I mean; they are - as a group - a pretty intelligent bunch of folk, but for some reason they insist on neglecting the whole world - unless it involves a war they are in...as per the news every night while we lived there.

They are the world champs at naval gazing it would seem.

One chick we met had never been outside of her neighborhood, and proceeded to regale me with how America was the best Country in the world, ra, ra,ra.

She may actually be close to correct in many ways (I really liked the USA, but there were lots of flaws - as there are anywhere)...but how would she really know?

Why not, though?

It baffles me.

I mean; they are - as a group - a pretty intelligent bunch of folk, but for some reason they insist on neglecting the whole world - unless it involves a war they are in...as per the news every night while we lived there.

One chick we met had never been outside of her neighborhood, and proceeded to regale me with how America was the best Country in the world, ra, ra,ra.

She may actually be close to correct in many ways (I really liked the USA, but there were lots of flaws - as there are anywhere)...but how would she really know?

That's probably a bit part of it. Nothing to do with intelligence. They're so wrapped up in the 'America is the greatest country in the world' thing that they don't bother looking outside. Part of it is geographic isolation (as opposed to Europeans who live right next to other countries). Part of it is cultural: Americans really go for the frontier 'I don't need anyone else' mentality. Translated into modern life it means a lot of Americans don't think there's anything to learn from outside. With all the health care law debates recently, for example, I didn't see any decent analysis in the US papers on how other countries do healthcare.

All the information in the world doesn't help if you don't see a need to look at it.

With all the health care law debates recently, for example, I didn't see any decent analysis in the US papers on how other countries do healthcare.
When you think about movies such as "Sicko" by Michael Moore - which is very accurate from our observations (my wife is a nurse and worked at Cedars Sinai in Bev Hills for 2 years when we were there, and another Hospital in Santa Rosa for 12 months), it is surprising nothing has happened.

That movie was made in 2007, so they've had 6 years to listen and wake up and fix things..

My belief is that the "Do-nothing-Congress" has been bought by the pharmaceutical and Health Insurance gargantuans to keep the gravy train status quo.

Amongst other little deals they have for themselves....war supplies and services supplier contracts, etc.

Why not, though?

It baffles me.

Unfortunately a lot (not all, some are great) of Americans seem to think that the ol' US of A is the centre of the known universe and anything outside of it is so far inferior that it doesn't warrant knowing anything about.

I've visited the US a lot over the past 20 years, I agree that there is a lack of knowledge of the rest of the world in some places, but normal educated people know as much about the rest of the world as anyone here. The US is so massive, that it's not so surprising they spend a lot of time just figuring out their own geography :). I'm always more surprised when people from other countries know anything about Australia, let's face it, we make up a very small percentage of the global population and we are located in bumf*** egypt as far as many people are concerned (part of the appeal, of course).

I've met plenty of Australians who know zilch about the rest of the world. Sure, everyone knows about the US because they are the remaining superpower, and it's such sport to knock them - but how many Aussies can name all of the capitals/countries of South America, Africa, Asia or Europe (particularly the East). I've also heard 'this is the best country in the world' from people in Australia who haven't travelled outside the country. It's like a defense mechanism *eek if i say it enough, hopefully it will be true!*

bogans,rednecks, chavs etc

Back