Will Strata Pay for Internal Painting?

I just looked at the last strata meeting receipts etc and there is around $10,000 allocated for painting in the future.

Does this mean I can get paint paid for out of the strata funds for paint for my unit interior? What about carpet that is ruined?

one problem though is that I have already bought the paint and the carpet a few days ago and will replace and paint in next few days...

Short answer - No.

That will be for external/common areas. Unless under special circumstances, or if you have a strata title agreement that includes internal painting (which I've never seen) - you are responsible for interior fittings & furnishings, paint & carpets.

Matt

Simple rule - inside your property, generally your own coin. Even if there is an issue which is deemed to have stemmed from a common area (say a common pipe bursts and your unit is flooded), you will struggle massively to get the strata to pay.

Common areas / external portions of property, strata.

a common pipe bursts and your unit is flooded

Not sure about the internal painting but surely your strata insurance should cover the fixed fixture like kitchen cabinets and pantry etc & hot water system which is also a fixed fixture but not the flooring like carpets.

OK, yeah I thought I was responsible for all internal but I was surprised when i seen the paint budget as it's brick outside so I'm have difficulty working out where the paint will go, must be laundry, stairs, carports etc I guess....

Not sure about the internal painting but surely your strata insurance should cover the fixed fixture like kitchen cabinets and pantry etc & hot water system which is also a fixed fixture but not the flooring like carpets.

Nope - $2,500 worth of damage, and strata said their insurance would not cover it. Letters of demand got us nowhere - last option was tribunal, but I didn't have the time or the energy.

I have seen the insurance pay for the replacement of finishes due to water penetration from common areas, especially in cases where BC has done nothing or little to prevent to damage.

As for the painting allowances, it would be common area painting: handrails, ceilings, doors, soffits etc.

Nope - $2,500 worth of damage, and strata said their insurance would not cover it. Letters of demand got us nowhere - last option was tribunal, but I didn't have the time or the energy.

I'm not sure if this varies from strata to strata, but we recently had some ceiling fixes & painting organised and paid for by strata in on of our units. These work were related to some leaking pipes.

OK, yeah I thought I was responsible for all internal but I was surprised when i seen the paint budget as it's brick outside so I'm have difficulty working out where the paint will go, must be laundry, stairs, carports etc I guess....

Eaves, facias, balcony and soffit, windows (if timber), downpiping, common hallways, doors, ceilings, handrailings, the list goes on.

Theres more than brick in a brick complex.

Back