will the melbourne market crash soon?

Oh my lord...someone who isnt even 28 years old yet giving advice......

I know... what's the world coming to? Don't worry my grandma is like 96 and I'm just listening to her, so it's really her advice I'm telling you. She always says in this funny voice "Aiii tallll yuuuuu keeeeed, ze murkutttt ish goin' bunkkkkersss"

But we should always listen to... hmm... dunno...

Good luck Deltaberry! If you manage to retire by the age of 30 there would be many of us eager to learn a thing or two from you. By the way if you don't mind me asking how many years to go before you turn 30?

Cheers,
Oracle.

Hey don't worry. If I do retire at 30, I'll be over 28 so more than qualified to give advice hohoho, so no one should have a problem.

Good luck Deltaberry! If you manage to retire by the age of 30 there would be many of us eager to learn a thing or two from you. By the way if you don't mind me asking how many years to go before you turn 30?

Cheers,
Oracle.

Oh not long to go before 30. Definitely not 10 years. Maybe more like 6 or so? Will have to check my birth date against a graphics calculator I recently used in my maths exam for VCE when I get a spare moment

My plan is actually to retire before 28, but that's looking less likely. Might have to push it out to 30. So I might not have that 10-15 years before retirement

Are you like one of those Gen Y being priced out of the market they talked about in the newspaper the other day?

Also, if Melbourne is going to crash, does that mean you are going to sell all of your... property? (not sure if you actually own any yourself though, if you don't, is that what your mum and dad are planning to do?)

Are you like one of those Gen Y being priced out of the market they talked about in the newspaper the other day?

Also, if Melbourne is going to crash, does that mean you are going to sell all of your... property? (not sure if you actually own any yourself though, if you don't, is that what your mum and dad are planning to do?)

Yea unfortunately am being priced out quite badly. Went to this house on St Georges the other day with a friend; can't believe they wanted $15m as a starting price for 1,500 sqm. It's not like it's a great street or anything and cars keep driving over the roundabouts - can't afford that anyway even if it was any better.

Then I went to Molesworth St another day and bam, only $3m or so. No idea why you'd pay so much to go to what I'd consider a fairly mediocre street like St Georges when you can get the river, mountain, fresh air, good elevation, good views in a decent suburb for much less.

Not sure what my mum and dad are planning to do. But if they do sell I'll let you guys here in on it so you can have first mover advantage.

As a typical Gen Y, I have serious qualms about living so far. As most of you would know, Gen Ys like to have everything now, the best things now, the closest, hippest places now. So Werribee is not really for me. I would much rather buy/live in Carlton or Fitzroy in a small double storey terrace that's around 100sqm.

See what people don't understand is, these places are driven by such immature behaviour, amongst other things. When the Gen Y finally make money and decide to move somewhere, I'd think they'd come back to Carlton at the end of the day, rather than upgrading in outer suburbs.

When the Gen Y finally make money and decide to move somewhere, I'd think they'd come back to Carlton at the end of the day, rather than upgrading in outer suburbs.

Although by this stage Gen Y wouldnt be the youngest gen and some of them will have family/kids. Diff Priorities ;-)

Oh not long to go before 30. Definitely not 10 years. Maybe more like 6 or so? Will have to check my birth date against a graphics calculator I recently used in my maths exam for VCE when I get a spare moment

So you are 24....6 yeas out of high school....at least you value the input of your elders like your gandma who have been there done that. I laugh when overhearing dudes in their early 20's talking like they know everything, that property only ever goes up etc..they know nothing.

I still go to my dad weekly for advice for I still know nothing ;)

that's what Gen Y don't understand Melbourne... :p

True that. Time will tell. Gen Ys as a generation will just fail miserably. I think most will end up as sweepers or something like that

Oh I should add most of my Gen X mates buy in the same places I think of too. But of course it all comes down to what you can afford.

So you are 24....6 yeas out of high school....at least you value the input of your elders like your gandma who have been there done that. I laugh when overhearing dudes in their early 20's talking like they know everything, that property only ever goes up etc..they know nothing.

I still go to my dad weekly for advice for I still know nothing ;)

Did I say I finished high school? But yea you're right I laugh everytime I speak to 20 year olds and most 30 year olds too hahahahaha... but of course I don't actually laugh out loud, I just laugh at them secretly.

True that. Time will tell. Gen Ys as a generation will just fail miserably. I think most will end up as sweepers or something like that

Well the majority of Gen Ys will be working into their 70s paying for the past when the Baby Boomers/Gen Xs screwed up by neglecting the future for their children! ;)

That's my 2 cents.

well if you think that melbourne is due for a price crash,( if i were you) , i would be getting every thing valued now, whilst the values are still good , then prepare yourself for the crash , when and if it happens buy up every thing you can afford, because you should know crashes do not last forever. they are just a blimp on a graph when they are over. and so far all of the past property crashes are just that a blimp on a graph.;)

Melbourne might just be the leader of the pack. I still dont get it though - why its booming compared to other states.

Well it has been said before, Melbourne is not a state :).
Look, Sydney has been booming along too, just a little behind Melbourne's growth - but not much behind.

IMO, Melbourne was incredibly cheap a few years ago compared to Sydney. Properties within 30kms of Melbourne's CBD were grossly underpriced compared to the Sydney equivalent.

Now some are being priced out of Sydney and so if you look to areas 1 hour's travel away - Wollongong to the south, Blue Mountains to the west and Central Coast to the north, you can see the ripple effects hitting those markets now.

We all know the melbourne market is very pricey, definately a 'hot market'

Another crystal ball question, but would be interesting to see everyone thoughts. The majority of people i speak to say you say interest rate rises will halt market, everyone seems to have a theory.

What do you think? will the market increase slowly, crash, halt?

Thanks in advance

I expect the market as a whole to crash, I will guess before mid 2011, I think the writing is well and truly on the wall to the point where even late last year most were scoffing at the very mention of it, but most are now quietly consolidating imo.

Well it has been said before, Melbourne is not a state :).
Look, Sydney has been booming along too, just a little behind Melbourne's growth - but not much behind.

IMO, Melbourne was incredibly cheap a few years ago compared to Sydney. Properties within 30kms of Melbourne's CBD were grossly underpriced compared to the Sydney equivalent.

Now some are being priced out of Sydney and so if you look to areas 1 hour's travel away - Wollongong to the south, Blue Mountains to the west and Central Coast to the north, you can see the ripple effects hitting those markets now.

Melbourne is a state - a state of mind! (anyone up to write a musical score?)

Back