Will the Sydney median house price reach $1 million by the end of 2015?

Will the Sydney median house price reach $1 million by the end of 2015?

• Yes

Votes: 48 38.4%
  • No

Votes: 77 61.6%

• Total voters
The Sydney median house price hit $840K in July as measured by the Residex index.

That's an increase of $130K in just a year.

Sydney house prices are now up nearly 30% since 2012 and up 53% since 2009.

Only another 19% growth is needed to hit $1 million.

With 18 months to go (from July), will the Sydney median house price hit one million dollars by the end of 2015, as measured by the Residex index?

Residex_Sydney_July_2014.png~original

19% on top of whats already happened is a lot?

There would be many individual areas where the median is already over $1M in Sydney though wouldn't there

19% on top of whats already happened is a lot?
The momentum is there. Auction clearance rates are back above 80%. There's no sign of it slowing down. Only 1% growth per month is needed to get to $1M by late 2015.

I don't know if we'll actually hit the $1M mark by the end of 2015, but we'll certainly approach very close to it.

I can't see it slowing down much until the RBA lifts interest rates a few times.

There would be many individual areas where the median is already over $1M in Sydney though wouldn't there
There were 163 suburbs with a median price above $1M in 2013. It would probably be closer to 200 now...

http://smh.domain.com.au/real-estat...new-milliondollar-suburbs-20140124-31e9a.html

Sydney_Million_Dollar_Suburbs.png

I might have voted maybe , but I think 19 % in that time is pushing it .

I think 930 - 960

I would have for yes for 2016

Cliff

Out of curiosity besides the previous growth being a precursor for future growth, what is going to drive the median price across all of Sydney further higher?

I understand some pockets doing well but will the city as a whole rise?

Out of curiosity besides the previous growth being a precursor for future growth, what is going to drive the median price across all of Sydney further higher?

I understand some pockets doing well but will the city as a whole rise?

As one area increases , people move to adjacent areas looking for better value

People buying on the north shore have been coming from inner west , Epping Eastwood etc as those areas went crazy and people came to the north shore looking for " better value "

Mt Druitt goes up and people think why pay 300 in mt Druitt when I can buy in XYZ for 350 .

Cliff

As one area increases , people move to adjacent areas looking for better value

People buying on the north shore have been coming from inner west , Epping Eastwood etc as those areas went crazy and people came to the north shore looking for " better value "

Mt Druitt goes up and people think why pay 300 in mt Druitt when I can buy in XYZ for 350 .

Cliff

That is correct to a degree, but if the top end does not grow a bunch of middle suburbs cannot push the median above the $1,000,000 mark. It would effect the average but not the median.

Again whats going to push those properties that have just gone from $900,000 - $1,200,000 to a further $1,500,000 in 2015?

That is correct to a degree, but if the top end does not grow a bunch of middle suburbs cannot push the median above the $1,000,000 mark. It would effect the average but not the median.

Again whats going to push those properties that have just gone from $900,000 - $1,200,000 to a further $1,500,000 in 2015?

Actually that's exactly how it works . Things cycle round

If a whole pile of mid range suburbs push up to 1.2 and people see that the nearby more expensive market hasn't moved , people will see better value in the more expensive suburb and buy there .

Why buy in the hills for 1.2 if you can get into the north shore for 1.5 .( not saying those figures are correct ) .

People who want to buy in the hills for 1.2 , face competition and prices go up .

If there is no competition , prices don't go up . It's basic supply and demand .

Cliff

Actually that's exactly how it works . Things cycle round

If a whole pile of mid range suburbs push up to 1.2 and people see that the nearby more expensive market hasn't moved , people will see better value in the more expensive suburb and buy there .

Why buy in the hills for 1.2 if you can get into the north shore for 1.5 .( not saying those figures are correct ) .

People who want to buy in the hills for 1.2 , face competition and prices go up .

If there is no competition , prices don't go up . It's basic supply and demand .

Cliff

In the last cycle we boomed in 2003 with prices staying stagnate until after the GFC when Rudd stimulated and there were low interest rates.

I think Sydney is heading close to that stagnate stage. The problem this time though is that economically were are in a worse position and holding onto loss making assets won't be fun for many if there is no prospect of price rises. If unemployment rises there could be a run on property as people liquidate for the fear of being the one that held onto the property as prices fell.

I think Sydney is heading close to that stagnate stage. The problem this time though is that economically were are in a worse position and holding onto loss making assets won't be fun for many if there is no prospect of price rises. If unemployment rises there could be a run on property as people liquidate for the fear of being the one that held onto the property as prices fell.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion, but I think we've got a way to go yet. Standing room only at opens & offers in excess of ask price means there's a heap of people out there pushing the prices up, up, up.:D

In the last cycle we boomed in 2003 with prices staying stagnate until after the GFC when Rudd stimulated and there were low interest rates.

Where we differ is that I think we're only at the beginning of the economic recovery . It's been slow and unsteady . China is a concern , but the US has taken its medicine and is bouncing back .

Cliff

Last edited:
Where we differ is that I think we're only at the beginning of the economic recovery . It's been slow and unsteady . China is a concern , but the US has taken its medicine and is bouncing back .

Cliff

I don't see how the US "bouncing back" is going to help Australia in any meaningful way.

Western Australia is going backwards, Ford/Holden closing down + all associated businesses are closing down which will wreck havoc in Victoria/SA in 2016+ and NSW besides finance has nothing going for it. These are all structural issues that are not being addressed.

I don't understand where the economic recovery is beginning in this country....

Mill

I don't see how the US "bouncing back" is going to help Australia in any meaningful way.

Western Australia is going backwards, Ford/Holden closing down + all associated businesses are closing down which will wreck havoc in Victoria/SA in 2016+ and NSW besides finance has nothing going for it. These are all structural issues that are not being addressed.

So you obviously didn't vote for prices going over 1 mill by end of next year .:D

Neither did I . :eek:

Cliff

Neither do I, anyone seeing economic recovery with current stats has their permabull glasses on.

Unemployment trending higher.
Job adverts & vacancies bounced a little from lows, but still depressed.
Services & manufacturing PMIs in the gutter.
Mining investment slowing (largest contributor to GDP growth in recent years)

And as Belvoir points out, there is potentially more pain to come.

Construction is the only positive economic indicator I've seen recently...

see_change, where are you seeing this economic recovery?

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and IMHO , whatever I say won't change yours .

Time will tell who is right , not a circular debate here :)

Cliff

This is what I can't understand you fly into Sydney and depending on which way you fly in it's a vast area from the air,so with the logic of any fractal distribution if ones wealth doubles from 500k to one mill then the number I mill goes into 2 mill over time it makes the making of such large sums conceivable,what we are seeing is based on supply and demand low rates
media control and the thought of missing the boat,happened before like this,,Brisbane at one stage of the last cycle prior 2008 was going up 10k per month but that was not Logan only some inner city hotspots,then it went nowhere for several years..imho..

It appears lots of people here on this forum have bullish view on the Sydney market by reading these posts.

Not sure how many of those with bullish view are still buying in current Sydney market. If they are still buying / intend to buy in the next few months, then marketing may still have some upside. If not, then it's just talking...

:D
It appears lots of people here on this forum have bullish view on the Sydney market by reading these posts.

Not sure how many of those with bullish view are still buying in current Sydney market.

it's just talking...

I 'm maxed out on Sydney due to land tax . I dont like paying it .

Most of the long term members who bought in Sydney stopped buying a while ago . We're just sitting and watching and talking .

Property investing isn't a gung hoe roller coaster ride like share trading . More time to relax and talk : ) and window shop eg

I still look . If I was looking for the perfect place to build in turramurra I think this place looks great . East side , walk station and turramurra music

21 meter wide frontage , high side street , gentle slope to the road , in a street that is in the process of changing and will move up market in the next ten years . Some nice neighbours as well ;) ( I have no interest in the house , just the street )

A smaller block sold down the road for 1.26 about a month ago . I'd expect this to go for over 1.5 . Probably end with a Meadowbank and be worth in high 2's

Cliff

There were 163 suburbs with a median price above $1M in 2013. It would probably be closer to 200 now...

http://smh.domain.com.au/real-estat...new-milliondollar-suburbs-20140124-31e9a.html

Sydney_Million_Dollar_Suburbs.png

According to this in February 2014 there were 167

5. Sydney is home to 197 suburbs where the median house price exceeds $1 million.

Also of note

1. There is one house (just the one) that could fetch up to $100 million.

2. Sydney?s median house price is now a whopping $654,000.

3. A house that is on the market for $60 million has been earning a cool $40,000 a week as a celebrity hang out.

4. Apartments in Sydney now have a median purchase price of $518,000 but million-dollar units are no surprise to us.

6. Sydney auctions have become so feverish, properties can regularly sell for $250,000 more than the set reserve price.

7. Sydney house to income ratios are ?severely unaffordable?.

8. There is a ?$30 million plus? apartment for sale with a $100,000 strata bill.

9. And when it comes to real estate marketing in Sydney ? anything goes.

There are apparently now 417 suburbs "Australia-wide" where you'll need a million dollars for a property.

It’s a jump of more than 100 suburbs in single year, according to RP Data

Back