Will Woodridge(QLD) ever improve?

Hi People,
With the location this suburb has do you think 5,10,20 years down the track that this place will improve?
I live in Sydney and I look at places like Redfern,Balmain which have had bad names in the past but with population growth and good proximity to the city they are now premuim suburbs. Thoughts?

Hi People,
With the location this suburb has do you think 5,10,20 years down the track that this place will improve?
I live in Sydney and I look at places like Redfern,Balmain which have had bad names in the past but with population growth and good proximity to the city they are now premuim suburbs. Thoughts?

Redfern , Balmain ( and paddington before them - that also used to be a dodgy area in the 60's .... ) are all centrally , well located areas .

Woodridge and the logan is more comparable ( IMHO ) to Mt Druitt .

Cliff

Yeah I understand that but Mt Druit is 50km from the city and your buying houses out there for $550k! Woodridge is 20km from the city.Isn't it only a matter of time before people get priced out of the market closer in and owner-occupiers realise they can buy a house with a big block of land within reasonable proximity to job nodes and the CBD?
I know that residents from Brisbane think that 20-25kms from the city is a long way but for us Sydney locals that's nothing and they will probably change their mind 10 years down the track when the city grows.

There's too different issues .

1 ) Will Woodridge gentrify ? ( ie become a nicer place )

2) Will Woodridge go up in price ?

My thoughts on this are 1) no and 2 ) yes .

A suburb doesn't have to gentrify in order for the prices to go up . I don't think Mt Druitt has fundamentally changed in the last two years while prices have close to doubled .

Cliff

Mount Druitt With Palm Trees has a good future, I believe.

Whether or not it'll be the next hipster hotspot is up for debate, but given a long enough time frame, it seems inevitable that the area will transform.

I can't imagine a Brisbane with 4 million people having the same Woodrigdge as it does with 2 million.

Change is inevitable as population grows. As land prices go up, so do rates and taxes. You have to earn more to live there. Look at Shailer Park for example. People used to call it Trailer Park. What about Holland Park West? One of my clients we did a reno there said it used to be considered trash 20 years ago.

Yeah I totally agree.These spots will always have a stigma attatched to them but long term I think they would have to change.
Thanks for the replys guys.Something to think about.

Redfern , Balmain ( and paddington before them - that also used to be a dodgy area in the 60's .... ) are all centrally , well located areas .

Woodridge and the logan is more comparable ( IMHO ) to Mt Druitt .

Cliff
That's right.
Woodridge is not located like Redfern and balmain. Plus, there are natural supply issues in Sydney that make these areas that appreciate more in price.

Not so in Woodridge. It will take significantly longer for Woodridge to show the cg numbers that a place like Redfern has shown.

That's right.
Woodridge is not located like Redfern and balmain. Plus, there are natural supply issues in Sydney that make these areas that appreciate more in price.

Not so in Woodridge. It will take significantly longer for Woodridge to show the cg numbers that a place like Redfern has shown.

Not sure I'd agree re capital growth . We've had our best capital growth n Logan in the last cycle , but that's not the same as gentrifying .

Cliff

I had a walk around Balmain last year. It has cute terraces with big solid red doors, a haunted Victorian hospital, and the cafe strip to die for. It has Sydney Harbour and hundreds of European prams, bicycles and sports cars on the main street.

Woodridge has 50 and 60 year old fibro houses and lots of graffiti. I can see the correlation with Redfern from what I saw of Redfern on TV earlier this year, which is not the same as in real life. Woodridge has Aboriginal flags and that is where the similarity ends.

No Way could Woodridge be anything like your inner city professional Victorian terrace suburbs.

Beenleigh is currently having millions pumped into it as we speak, in under 2 years it will be a different place, you can see it already

Not sure I'd agree re capital growth . We've had our best capital growth n Logan in the last cycle , but that's not the same as gentrifying .

Cliff

I agree with JDP1. Redfern is close to the CBD. Land is limited. Woodridge is surrounded by many other much better suburbs like Slacks Creek. People in Brisbane are spoiled for choice. Why buy into a ghetto when you can upgrade to something 2x better one suburb over for only 20-30k more? We're not talking about 200-300k more.

Also you say Logan has performed well - Logan is HUGE, and includes suburbs that rival many areas in BCC like Springwood. I just don't agree that Redfern is in anyway comparable to Woodridge. Apples and oranges IMO.

Last edited:
Back