Will you choose Parramatta for property investment?

Hi JohnHenry.. it really depend on the return that you're getting.

If you can buy an OTP for 800k where it can give you ~800/week rental income with low strata, then i don't see any issue buying it.
The problem is... I don' think such OTP property exist anymore

Win,

Low Strata is a rare thing nowadays. Especially with new OTP, it always starting from minimum $900 p.q and up to $2000 or even more.

Whether there is going to be CG or not, no one can predict the future. Who know.....

You can say "no one can predict the future, who knows?" to justify any type of investment. It's too easy. There's always uncertainty, but a successful investor will increase that level of certainly through DD and good strategy.

:confused:

Remember , after the last boom peaked in Sydney in 2003 , much of Sydney went sideways for around ten years and many OTP units bought in docklands have subsequentally resold for less that their initial purchase price ....:(

Cliff

Do you mean Docklands in Melbourne which is more like the Darling Harbour of Sydney ?

Conclussion: Do not invest in Parramatta unless you want to stay in as PPoR

Because it's at the peak of boom time now.....which means CG is going none existent for years & years.

The OP was asking will you invest in parramatta at the current time . You appear to be saying yes .

With no disrespect , you joined the forum in March this year . Both myself and rixter have been members for over 14 years and have gone from inexperienced newbies to experienced investors with multimillion dollar portfolios and equity .

I think we're both disagreeing with in fairly strong terms in that we wouldn't invest in parramatta at the moment .

Buying in the wrong place and the wrong time , may not just give you slow growth , but it can put significantly backwards or even under ...

Btw , I'm not saying this for your benefit , but for the benefit of others who might be swayed by your comments into thinking that you will automatically get growth where ever you buy .

THAT JUST DOESNT AUTOMATICALLY HAPPEN .

There are plenty of opportunities out there . Why buy one when there are better alternatives

Cliff

Many thanks Rick and Cliff for the sharing. I surely learn a lot from your thoughts and comments in this forum.

and also some other people that I cannot remember the name.

Therefore in conclussion, it is not a good decision to buy Parramatta OTP apartment now, especially due to the proeprty investing cycle is now at the top almost.

I'll focus my search into other state like Brisbane QLD suburbs.

The OP was asking will you invest in parramatta at the current time . You appear to be saying yes .

With no disrespect , you joined the forum in March this year . Both myself and rixter have been members for over 14 years and have gone from inexperienced newbies to experienced investors with multimillion dollar portfolios and equity .

I think we're both disagreeing with in fairly strong terms in that we wouldn't invest in parramatta at the moment .

Buying in the wrong place and the wrong time , may not just give you slow growth , but it can put significantly backwards or even under ...

Btw , I'm not saying this for your benefit , but for the benefit of others who might be swayed by your comments into thinking that you will automatically get growth where ever you buy .

THAT JUST DOESNT AUTOMATICALLY HAPPEN .

There are plenty of opportunities out there . Why buy one when there are better alternatives

Cliff
Sorry you're right. The OP was originally asking for parramatta. I was clearly against parramatta from the beginning.

But what I want to speak out is, there's no one strategy fits all.
I learned and see that there're different types of strategy that investor used, and if you are structured correctly you can be successful...

Nathan Birch/Robery K using Cash flow investment strategy successfully
Chris Gray using a blue chip suburb strategy successfully.

I have encountered a young 30 years old person who's been buying only OTP from 2008, and now owning more than 10 mill portfolio.

Thanks to this forum

Melbourne . But I do remember a reported case of someone who bought OTP in Ultimo selling for a significant loss .

Cliff

Cliff,

yes, Utimo, NSW 2007.... I've been thinking to buy or even live there myself due to close proximity to City and CF+

base on this: http://www.realestate.com.au/invest
Select NSW metro Areas, Ultimo is at the top #1 Yield 11.2%

Many thanks to SS forum comments and guidance, therefore I didn't go ahead in getting Studio apartment in Ultimo.

Another article which should be classified in Ultimo not Pyrmont: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/australia...ist-from-pyrmont-robbery-20150607-ghiib1.html
There are some Houso in the area too.

Sorry you're right. The OP was originally asking for parramatta. I was clearly against parramatta from the beginning.

But what I want to speak out is, there's no one strategy fits all.
I learned and see that there're different types of strategy that investor used, and if you are structured correctly you can be successful...

Nathan Birch/Robery K using Cash flow investment strategy successfully
Chris Gray using a blue chip suburb strategy successfully.

I have encountered a young 30 years old person who's been buying only OTP from 2008, and now owning more than 10 mill portfolio.

Like Billy Hadi Subrata ?
http://www.whichinvestmentproperty.com.au/real-life/13327-a-108-bill-almost-ruined-my-portfolio

You can say "no one can predict the future, who knows?" to justify any type of investment. It's too easy. There's always uncertainty, but a successful investor will increase that level of certainly through DD and good strategy.

Jerrybee... I Agree DD and good strategy is the key. From what i learned is not to rely too much on CG only. It's should be both CG and CF (Treat CG as bonus).

Wow that guy is indo :p

Nah i encountered this guy in Seminar, I couldn't believed it myself that he is only 30 and he owned more 10 mill worth of IP. He has started buying in 2008 or so and all his portfolio is in Zetland.... I refused to believed it at first, but it work for him.....

It just proved that there're no strategy that fits all. One may say it's the worst thing, but other can make it work.

Is his portfolio growth primarily a result of his OTP purchases, or did he have some huge external sources of income/CG growth?

If it is primarily from OTP growth, I would assume the 20/80 rule applies, with a minority of titles providing the majority of growth.

Is his portfolio growth primarily a result of his OTP purchases, or did he have some huge external sources of income/CG growth?

If it is primarily from OTP growth, I would assume the 20/80 rule applies, with a minority of titles providing the majority of growth.

Adbough... TBH don't know .. I have only have around 5 mins to chat with him. He said his first one OTP he bought for 380k (I don't know if this is 2 bed or 1 bed), while now it has been valued around 850+....

You can find him if you want, he works with Chris Gray Yourempire.com.

On the plus side of these ludicrous asking prices for Parra OTP, ... 850-900K for a small 2br box pushes the value of my 9yo 2bdr 145sqm courtyard apartment just south of the Western Hwy up very nicely by comparison:D:D

Purchased Nov 2013 for 420k.

On the plus side of these ludicrous asking prices for Parra OTP, ... 850-900K for a small 2br box pushes the value of my 9yo 2bdr 145sqm courtyard apartment just south of the Western Hwy up very nicely by comparison:D:D

Purchased Nov 2013 for 420k.

Far out...
I guess that's the effect of the OTP and Chinese buyers. :confused:

Hi Tom, I'd be very careful buying in Sydney.... going by recent sales, that sort of budget is unlikely to work in areas close to parramatta including wentworthville, pendle hill, girraween and toongabbie.

Have you considered other cities?

Somewhat...I really don't know Melbourne at all so I wouldn't know where to start. I lived in Brisbane for a year so have some knowledge of it, just the flat CG in a lot of areas scares me a bit; it seems to be somewhat of a resource based economy (not to the extent of Perth) and is feeling the mining boom coming off a bit. I'm not really sure what would drive growth there. Part of being in Sydney is the ease of access for management or if I need to perform minor maintenance on the property myself.

Somewhat...I really don't know Melbourne at all so I wouldn't know where to start. I lived in Brisbane for a year so have some knowledge of it, just the flat CG in a lot of areas scares me a bit; it seems to be somewhat of a resource based economy (not to the extent of Perth) and is feeling the mining boom coming off a bit. I'm not really sure what would drive growth there. Part of being in Sydney is the ease of access for management or if I need to perform minor maintenance on the property myself.

Hi Tom

From what I have been reading on this forum, Melbourne has been crazy as well.

If you have lived in Brisbane and know Brisbane, I think it is a good place to start :)

Good luck!

Back