Will you have a Job in 2025..

I m planning to be out of workgorce in 2 years so it won't effect me hopefully.

But I agree..most of highly paid jobs are going overseas...most companies aren't looking for replacement if employee decides to move on.

We just completed two offshore location setup.. Chepaer labour n similar workforce.

It was that it we close our doors.. Hard choice!

There will be jobs but these jobs will require skills very different to now...a lot of Australians unfortunately are very resistant to change.

Just look at our government....this current has no vision or even a strategy on skilling people for the future. Everyone in Australia wants to be a professional...so there will be a mis-match. It is incredible how the stupid feds have handed over money to private companies who are gaming the system on the long term unemployed and assisting them back to work. The govt should incentivise people to train people in jobs with demand - Aged care....some trades...some health professions...some areas of IT. This is the role of the govt not handing over billions to private companies who have only a profit motive.

I am in the IT industry...there are jobs there...but require skills...you need to be a more all rounder to compete and most are not technical. The ideally you would be able to manage projects, understand and manage budgets, assist with scoping and soft selling of IT solutions (not a particular technology), and have a high level understanding of lastest technologies. The old school technical jobs are likely to be outsourced. Where as the engagement management job highlighted above will be hard to outsource due to the need for local presence, understanding of the local culture, and the level of face to face interaction required.

In any case I hope to be out of paid employment in the next 4-7 years.

I remember during the 80s being told as schoolkids that by 2010 we would only be working 2 days a week because of all the robots and computers doing everything for us.

My prediction is that by 2025 we'll be working harder than ever.

what about all the jobs that will be created?

Did anyone studying at school in the 80s plan for a career in web design?

This is so true. At a seminar I attended last year it was said that most of the children will be doing jobs not yet invented.

I'll be well and truly entrenched in retirement by then. :D

what about all the jobs that will be created?

Did anyone studying at school in the 80s plan for a career in web design?

I studied web design at school and tafe in the 90's. Never got a job doing it.

The technology moved very fast, I ended up changing to an I.T. field where most things are the same as they were 20 years ago.

Many of the jobs for 2025 haven't been invented yet. Structured paid consistent salaried employment on a full time or part time basis may be less relevant than people becoming their own brand.........."Me Incorporated"

Micro-entrepreneurship and more contract and subcontract roles are likely to feature. Up-skilling from time to time may be required. Over and above university degrees and trades qualifications, regular intense (booster type) courses spanning say a month or two may be necessary to keep up with the skills change required to be attractive in the market place for future employers or to be more attractive to free lancing positions.

Have a read of "Abundance, the future is better than you think" and "Bold" both by Peter Diamandis of Singularity University. This TED talk is insightful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BltRufe5kkI

The future is exciting and it's coming fast. Industrialised work concepts are being replaced by technology based working paradigms. Those that fail to adapt and be flexible enough to respond to the change will be left behind

I won't - and not expecting junior to be as she's been bought up with a very good work ethic.

Anyhow - she wants to be a equine vet ... can't see robots taking over that job

Where as the engagement management job highlighted above will be hard to outsource due to the need for local presence, understanding of the local culture, and the level of face to face interaction required...

Fortunately or unfortunately, my job is similar to what you describe above...nevertheless, I plan on busking at queen street mall in 2025. I have learnt a new tune on my violin and will surely be a real money maker. Tax free as well.

Back