Will you take this application?

Yep, another "will you take this applicant" post.

Unfortunately one of the application I approve fell through as the applicants decided to live their friend (previous thread http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105550)

We have another applicant after the open house on Tuesday - a couple - that the PM is not very keen on but might be suitable for a short term trial (3 months)

The application is for a family - husband, wife, one young kid with one medium size dog and rabbit.

They have been renting privately and the reference is kind of mixed.
  • The wife reference is particularly not stellar - rental arrears, has attitude
  • The husband reference is good, he has stable income and also do some weekend side work

The advertised rental was $280

My questions:
  1. Would you give this applicant a go for 3 months fixed contract?
  2. Would you take the property off market, then re advertise $270 to hopefully attract better application?

He might do the same thing that other tenants do with pets - bring them in, then send them off to a friend's place on inspection day.

'Care to explain why you have lipstick in your ensuite draw?'

'Err... ahh... that's mine. I'm a... umm... cross dresser. Yeah, that'll do. I'm a cross dresser.'

I'd rather have the property vacant for another week or two than have a 10% chance of a bad tenant.

If the husband has rental arrears and attitude problems, the 10% quickly becomes 80%.

Attitude problems are only a perception and someone's personal experience of that person - hold no weight! Property management relies on legislation that cannot be overruled by bad attitude.

I would ask - how specifically?

My big concern is how, in a joint tenancy, does one tenant get breach notices and not the other???

I smell a personal conflict between the pm that provided the reference and the wife and would ask further questions to clarify.

Also what is "rental arrears", did it result in a breach notice? Was there an application to tribunal for a payment plan or vacant possession? What was the result? A tenant paying one day over their due date is technically classed as arrears - look deeper.

I wouldn't rent to them.

bad tenants is just not worth the stress.

they had their chance and they blow it.

Better to have an empty house than bad tenants.

also husband's referee could be fake, they could have got their mate to vouch for them.

don't risk it.

Attitude problems are only a perception and someone's personal experience of that person - hold no weight! Property management relies on legislation that cannot be overruled by bad attitude.

I would ask - how specifically?

My big concern is how, in a joint tenancy, does one tenant get breach notices and not the other???

I smell a personal conflict between the pm that provided the reference and the wife and would ask further questions to clarify.

Also what is "rental arrears", did it result in a breach notice? Was there an application to tribunal for a payment plan or vacant possession? What was the result? A tenant paying one day over their due date is technically classed as arrears - look deeper.

Aren't these the type of tenants you are attending tribunal all the time for? Why are you defending them?

pinkboy

Why else would you not accept their application PB? When you get paid to attend the Tribunal and more again for advertising and letting fee, why go for a good tenant?

Back