Willoughby, NSW

The property prices there have been going crazy...especially North Willoughby up 27% something for the past year!!:eek:

What do you think? Can it keep the same momentum for long? Or, it's already over the top?

And, why do you think of the price craze?

Comments wellcome!

Close to Chatswood.. Chatswood was already big and getting bigger.

Way out of my reach (as is most of Sydney), prices are just insane there.

I have no doubt that Nth Willoughby has done well, but for a more accurate picture....
Check the same data & see what Willoughby(not Nth) & Chatswood did. Often these stats can be affected by afew more top end (or lower) sales.

Def true close to Chatswood, but the thing is, it's actually more expensive than Chatswood!! (median price).
Land sizes are more like around 500m2, last week, a 800m2 house with a good (not great) house on it sold for 1.475. pretty stunning...

And, no, it's not just a few top end sales, it's generally been very consistant, especially lately. Also last week a 390m2 semi sold for 1.09

Welcome to my pain. That whole strip from when you get off the Harbour Bridge all the way up to Killara has gone beserk in the last 18 months. Mytake on it is too many buyers and not enough sellers. These are not first home buyers you're talking about here. You've got young families upgrading from townhouses and units further up the north shore line to bigger homes, expats with $1M bonuses buying where they grew up (these are the private school kids who are now making a killing overseas - how do you compete with someone who pulls in that kind of cash??) and most important factor for the price increases are the old dibbies hanging on to their palacial homes instead of rightly moving on.

Until people realise the north shore and northern beaches is not the be all, prices will continue to rise in the current economic environment. I am hoping for a new Tax to be levied for the over 60s who live within 15km of CBD when Labor takes over. I'm sure this will be very popular for the working class. Heck, I might even vote Labor if it means there will be a flood of properties on the market. Until then, I will continue to pinch myself for not buying back in 05 having kept an eye on the market during that time. Ain't life a great learning experience....

Last edited:
This situation is more for houses than units/townhouses...sure the prices of all properties all the way up to Gordon(if I may say) gone up heaps, the house prices really took off.
One thing you are right asdf is that almost ALL of the buyers are YOUNG people (mostly young families), many of which are not all expats..but locals working for banks, and yes, getting huge bonus...
This one guy no older than 30 bought this nice federation in Chatswood for 1.473 -- 200K over reserve -- i am sure not getting all that money from the Banks.

NO no, no labour... together with the unions feel like communists to me :p I'd rather hope properties hold AND go up in value BIG!!! (I am sure most ppl here feel the same way)

That guy in Chatswood probably paid cash for it. There is an obscene amount of money getting thrown around in the financial and consulting pay packets at the moment. Thats domestically and internationally. Times have never been this good although the recent rout in the markets have thrown a small spanner in the works. But I know of 3 expats personally looking to buy their PPOR in the north shore area. And there is a lot more where these guys came from. If you take a walk through Expatville at Lan Kwai Fong in HK you'll know what I mean. On a Fri night after work theres so many Aussies and Kiwis in the bars, you could almost play spot the Asian. Not all may be getting the million dollar bonuses but either way, its better than wages back home. These guys are only there for one thing and thats to make money.

Why ? Are you talking the giant one at Artarmon ? Just Curious..

There are 3 TV/Radio towers in the area.
Willoughby has 2 towers nearby, the one you mentioned in Artarmon (CH7/10 + many radio stations) and the CH9 tower (with CH9 Analogue plus 7/9/10digital TV transmission)
IMHO that's a lot of RF radiation in such a small area.:eek:
I personally would stay well away.
Don't get me wrong, it's a nice area and this is my opinion only, do your own research, I am no expert.
Cheers

Yep Upper Nth shore especially East side walk to rail are tightly held. Yep lots of money both new & old chasing the same amount of property. Silly prices in some places, but value pockets do exist. My neighbouring suburb (st ives) looks cheap.

Do these suburbs only appeal to families? They might be close to some private schools and a train line but they're boring!

They're boring if you love the city or inner city.. they aren't boring if you like larger blocks of land and/or large houses and slightly fresher air.
I dont know any single people living in these areas, but I know alot of families who do.

Haha great call. Glebe, the lower part is less boring ie Crows Nest..

Yeah I agree completely. I work at St Leonards, I find Crows Nest a great little enclave.

The upper north shore is just too monocultural and Desperate Housewives-ish for me, but each to their own. I could certainly do with their houses in Balmain though :)

Back