Wills?

You'd be stupid to structure your will that way. Usually, it states something like 'leave everything to A, but if A is still a minor, I appoint B as trustee of the estate until A reaches the age of 20 (or whatever)'.

Why would you want to chance it?

I thought you had to leave guardianship of minors to someone as well ...

Some things you have to be over 18 to do, legally. You could probably leave a minor money and furniture and trinkets but I don't even know that you could leave a minor property?

I need to do my will. Its incredibly outdated and specifically excludes my partner, since I didn't have him back when it was drawn up. Remind me not to die before I have a new will.

I thought you had to leave guardianship of minors to someone as well ...

you could put it in your will, or the laws at that time will decide who will have the guardianship.

just wondering what are the laws of minors having properties; of coz I'm not going to do that, just wondering what the rules are.

I think it would depend on what sort of property you wish to leave to them.

If it was a television then it would probably be able to pass to the children straight away. But if it was real property, such as a house/land, then it would probably pass to the child's guardian (as trustee for the child) until the child reached 18.

I think it best to set up a testamentary trust for this sort of thing so that your intentions are clear.

From my last few days of will experience my advice to you is to seek a
solicitor because its all in the wording.
Do not rely on home made wills, seek professional advice.

From my last few days of will experience my advice to you is to seek a
solicitor because its all in the wording.
Do not rely on home made wills, seek professional advice.

yupe, I feel that wording makes a hell lot of difference,

btw, do I need to contact a lawyer direct or state trustees would do the trick?

Back