window frosting

i'd like to get some frosting done on a couple of bathrooms on my PPOR. does anyone know of an approximate cost to have this done per standard window? ive seen the DIY stuff at Bunnings but im a bit afraid i'll stuff it up and that it may not last too long.

i'd like to get some frosting done on a couple of bathrooms on my PPOR. does anyone know of an approximate cost to have this done per standard window? ive seen the DIY stuff at Bunnings but im a bit afraid i'll stuff it up and that it may not last too long.

I've used the Bunnings stuff, DIY installation was OK, but not as good as real frosted glass, but very much cheaper I'm sure (sorry can't advise on cost for real stuff). Installation is same as any window tinting, some people can do a good job, others do a bad job and it will show.

As for lasting, mine has been up for 5 years now and looks the same as when installed (see above)

We have also used the DIY frosting and it has lasted for years. We frosted a double french door into a downstairs bedroom, 20 panes of glass involved and a six pane window. Lots of cutting, but it works well, looks great and provides privacy without blocking light.

I hate to think what we would have paid to have it done professionally. Much cheaper to buy a roll and give it a go. If you mess it up, you can take it off and start again.

I'm with Wylie ... I did a large glass door and stuffed up the first application ... realised what I'd done wrong, ripped it off and had enough on the roll to go again.

Looked great.

Hi Members

Happy New Year 2013

Could you tell me why you would have chosen to have the frosted window DIY rather than Tinted window DIY.

What are pro and cons for WINDOW: frosted and tinted in your opinion?

t

In our case, we used two large french doors as japanese style sliding doors to a bedroom. Tinted would not have worked as there was a need for privacy but also needed light to get through. The frosting works well.

you can go the very cheap option of bunnings diy frosted tint and cut it yourself
or get the measurements go to a vinyls sign person (most should stock a frosted vinyl)
and they can cut them out to perfect measurements on there machine with a better quality than the bunnings stuff but will cost more. then you can apply it or get them to

or get actual frosted glass cut and installed (im sure this would cost the most)

tinted works ok for privacy until its night time and you turn your lights on inside :eek:

Hi we 'Goolged it' and found a NZ company who sent us the roll and we applied - twice after the first one was covered in carpet fur - and presto as good as new.

I think with postage (to OZ) we paid $30 and have half a roll left - the quote for new frosted glass was $250.

PS It is ten thousand times easier then applying the plastic covers to an ipad - I am now up to my fourth box and still those darn bubbles are driving me crazy!

Hope this serves you
Jane

Back